Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have a sane explanation for why Elon keeps on telling blatant lies on Twitter? This is ridiculous...

First Greenwald lies that rejecting Rand Paul's amendment for oversight means no oversight. The rejection, of course, was because Rand Paul wanted to name the inspector general as opposed to leaving it up to the president to appoint one. I'm sure Greenwald knows this, so his lie is clearly deliberate.

And then Elon amplifies and spreads the lie.

What possible excuse is there for this?

The more he does this, the less anyone will believe anything he says. About anything. And it makes no difference that he puts in a "!?" when he repeats the lie. Any more than his "tiny possibility" wording excused anything about his Paul Pelosi tweet.

Last edited:
Meh, another day, another pro-Putin tweet from Elon.

Russia is obviously a huge potential market for Tesla, but I've said before that I think Elon is simply trying to win brownie points with Xi by getting Taiwan to surrender to China, which would be essentially guaranteed if Ukraine surrenders.

I had always assumed that previous clowns like Kanye or Trump had been brainwashed by Fox News. But in this case I'm wondering if the tables have turned - it looks like Elon is doing the brainwashing and Fox is the clown.

1671688296781.png

View attachment 887743
View attachment 887737
TSLA chart above

View attachment 887740
QQQ chart above

Wednesday was a strong day for the NASDAQ, which closed up 1.54%. That macro performance required a response from the shorts and hedge funds because they don't want the gravy train of this dip to end. There's also a strong psychological impact on many investors by reducing TSLA's performance because the tendency of longs is to think "TSLA is a gorked stock" without realizing the effort that's going in to create that appearance on a strong macro day.

Just take a look at those deep dips into the red at 9:38, 10:28, 12:16 and into close. There was no news of substance (to my knowledge) released at such times and no macro dips either. These were spirited manipulations to try and sink TSLA, plain and simple. Next, look at how little time TSLA spent above $140 during its 4 excursions above on Thursday. Can you say "whack-a-mole"? Finally, take a look at the doozy of the TSLA dip at day's end, right after TSLA crossed below 140. You can almost draw a straight line from 140 to intercept the red/green line about 10 minutes before market close. When this straight a line is used to create a desired manipulation, it's pretty obvious once you see it. I suspect one of the hedge funds turned on its sledge-o-matic autopilot with instructions to short sell as needed to get TSLA down below the red/green line a few minutes before market close and to keep it there.

So, why is it important to get TSLA slightly into the red for the close? For one thing, investors who look at their stock apps see a red TSLA when most everything else is green. The message: TSLA is still gorked. Then phase two kicks in because that close 17 cents below Tuesday's close give the ethicallly-impaired clickbait artists (journalist is too nice a word) license to stretch the truth beyond reason. Thus my Yahoo TSLA page showed the following stories:Tesla Stock vs. BYD stock: TSLA stock keeps plungin on China Demand Fears, Musk's Twitter Reign, Tesla (TSLA) stock's losing streak continues after report of hiring freeze, layoff plans (note: earlier in the day stories talked of TSLA being up because of that news), Tesla (TSLA) stock sinks as market gains: what you should know. You get the picture... the prevailing theme is the losing streak continues (TSLA is gorked) but nowhere do the clickbait artists mention the loss was a manufactured dip of 17 cents 10 minutes before market close. That's how the game is played, my friends.

Rob Maurer's Tesla Daily video on Wednesday presented the important stories:
* Tesla is giving a full $7500 discount plus 10K supercharger miles to buyers who purchase M3 or MY between 21Dec and 31Dec. IMO, this is a good move because vehicles will sell and yet the 10 day hit to margins will be not so bad.
* Turkey is being added as a Tesla sales location. This will necessitate superchargers and service centers. IMO, adding Turkey along with adding Thailand earlier should help Shanghai find homes for all its vehicles produced while the China demand is temporarily lowered due to Covid in a country that has yet to build its herd immunity. Tesla continues to expand markets as needed to keep the vehicles flowing.
* Tesla has announced layoffs coming in Q1. This news is normally met positively by Wall Street because it means eliminating unneeded personnel. In the case of Tesla, we see these layoffs about yearly, and they're a time to cut the least productive employees during a perceived slack time. Rob pointed out that it's not really a true hiring freeze because hiring continues where needed.
* On a Twitter Spaces talk Tuesday night, Elon mentioned that he thinks Twitter could hit cash flow positive sometime next year. That's huge news because it helps dispel the illusion that Elon will be continually selling TSLA shares to keep Twitter afloat. Here's a Tweet on the subject by Mathias Fons.

In this TMC post, @NicoV links to European deliveries showing Tesla's Q4 deliveries are its best ever in Europe

@Curt Renz pointed to this Benzinga article about Morgan Stanley saying that Tesla could leverage its costs advantages in EVs and make life very difficult for its competitors. IMO, at some point in Q1 Tesla might give an additional $3750 discount on its M3 and MY vehicles if the Feds are only offering customers half the expected $7500. Margins get negatively affected for a portion of a quarter, but Tesla still moves its vehicles and it'll be hard for the competition to make a nickel.

Bottom line: Wednesday was a manipulated day designed to keep TSLA under control, under 140, and to close at least a few pennies in the red. It worked on Wednesday, but with every dollar dip, TSLA becomes less attractive to sell and more attractive to buy. Tick, tick, tick.

View attachment 887742
10 yr. treasury bond yields remained about the same on Wednesday, closing just below 3.7%

View attachment 887738
Max pain Wednesday morning was 148. Strike 145 is pretty neutral between puts and calls but strike 150 and above are call-dominated

View attachment 887739
Wednesday's options volumes

View attachment 887741
With A LOT of help by the manipulators, TSLA has remained on a mostly downward trajectory along the lower bollinger band line. At some point sellers have to question the value of selling at these low prices, given Tesla's strong fundamentals.

Conditions:
* Dow up 527 (1.60%)
* NASDAQ up 162 (1.54%)
* SPY up 6 (1.50%)
* TSLA 137.57, down 0.23 (0.17%)
* TSLA volume 144.4M shares
* Oil 78.71
* IV 76.0, 94%
* Max Pain 148
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 47%
Matthew Fons did a great job on cost analysis of Twitter, but the revenue projections look pretty flimsy.

Apparently Zelensky doesn't like Trans-people. Musk and Zelensky should be able to find common ground there.
I wasn't aware of Tucker Carlson being a staunch Russian Orthodox, though, judging by his outrage about the switch of the Ukrainian Orthodox from the Julian to the Gregorian calender.
Anyway, there is no reason to idealize Zelensky. Prior to the invasion his government was criticised for being corrupt. Apparently he himself has offshore accounts in dubious tax havens. He was close to dubious Ukrainian oligarchs. The rule of law is weak in Ukraine and prior to the war Ukraine was at loggerheads with all of its neighbours about its treatment of national minorities.
That said, there is no justification for the Russian attack, Ukraine deserves massive Western support and Zelensky has proven to be an excellent wartime leader.

That headline...

I listened to the address. I haven't heard him say anything about a war on Christianity.

There was a joint press conference that I didn't hear. Maybe Zelensky declared war on Christianity there.

I suppose there is a third possibility, Carlson is a clown who will spout ridiculous lies in order to garner views.
Patriarch Kirill, head of the Russian Orthodox Church, has told his followers that 'sacrifice in the course of carrying out your military duty washes away all sins.'

The patriarch's comments during his Sunday sermon on September 25 came amid nationwide protests and rising criticism over the Kremlin's recent announcement of a partial mobilization to replenish Russian forces fighting in Ukraine.

Under the circumstances it it understandable that Ukrainians and their government are hostile to Russian orthodoxy. The Ukrainian Orthodox church has split away from Moscow's supremacy. This is Carlson's "War on Christianity."

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Apparently Zelensky doesn't like Trans-people. Musk and Zelensky should be able to find common ground there.
I wasn't aware of Tucker Carlson being a staunch Russian Orthodox, though, judging by his outrage about the switch of the Ukrainian Orthodox from the Julian to the Gregorian calender.
Anyway, there is no reason to idealize Zelensky. Prior to the invasion his government was criticised for being corrupt. Apparently he himself has offshore accounts in dubious tax havens. He was close to dubious Ukrainian oligarchs. The rule of law is weak in Ukraine and prior to the war Ukraine was at loggerheads with all of its neighbours about its treatment of national minorities.
That said, there is no justification for the Russian attack, Ukraine deserves massive Western support and Zelensky has proven to be an excellent wartime leader.
I’m no expert on Zelensky, but I felt your post had a bit too much of “damning with faint praise” so I did a little light internet searching. His bio on Britannica doesn’t indicate the negatives you’ve stated. It doesn’t portray him as a perfect person, and the way he gained popularity to be elected president was certainly unorthodox, but nothing that screams out bad, evil, or corrupt.

While Zelensky did manage to jump-start his political agenda with the passage of a law intended to curb the influence of oligarchs, the Russian-backed insurgency in the Donbas soon devolved into the largest threat to European stability since World War II.

More layoffs, days before Christmas. There’s a special corner in hell for bosses who do that.

It's just a coincidence that Christmas is near the end of Q4. It's an obvious time for companies to announce layoffs to please the markets.
But I agree that it would be more compassionate to announce the layoffs before Thanksgiving so the soon-to-be-ex-employees don't add to any debt.
Problem is that the run-up to Christmas is a relatively busy period so not an ideal time to lay people off.

i'm sure many of you on here are old enough to remember Myspace right?

well News corp bought them out and they quickly realized depending on old fox news watching boomers to attract advertisers wasn't the greatest idea for a tech company. plus all their talent left. look at myspace now. website is full of bugs and a mess. a shame cause i really liked the independent artists that were sharing their music on there

In his early entrepreneurial years, Ford was a revolutionary: an innovative genius who transformed the way Americans traveled, worked, and lived. Ford effectively created the modern assembly line, driving down manufacturing costs, raising productivity, and making it possible to sell cars at low prices. Ford’s inexpensive and durable Model T, introduced in 1908, brought automobiles within the reach of average Americans. Ford dominated the car industry as a result; in the early 1920s, more than half the cars on the world’s roads were built by Ford.

After he had accumulated massive wealth and achieved global fame, Ford allowed bigotry and paranoia to dominate his life. Deeply anti-union, he created a network of company spies who surveilled his employees and tried to control their lives. He also bought a newspaper that disseminated lies and antisemitic conspiracy theories. He followed that up by publishing a series of antisemitic books that were influential among Nazis and other European fascists between the First and Second World Wars.

Elon Musk has demonstrated to the entire world in the space of a few weeks that his management of Twitter is a disaster for the right to information,” Reporters Without Borders said in a statement after Musk suspended the reporters’ accounts. Officials from the European Union have also warned that Twitter may face sanctions for failing to live up to the EU’s standards for press freedom

It's just a coincidence that Christmas is near the end of Q4. It's an obvious time for companies to announce layoffs to please the markets.
But I agree that it would be more compassionate to announce the layoffs before Thanksgiving so the soon-to-be-ex-employees don't add to any debt.
Problem is that the run-up to Christmas is a relatively busy period so not an ideal time to lay people off.
There’s no defending it.

This is engineers at Twitter I’m talking about btw….not the scads at Tesla ……We all know his resources, and the fact these were among the workers who accepted his ultimatum etc. and the fact that Twitter wasn’t in financial crises until Mr. Resources came along and overpaid.
No decent human does this given circumstances that clearly make it entirely optional.

Last edited:
There’s no defending it.

This is engineers at Twitter I’m talking about btw….not the scads at Tesla ……We all know his resources, and the fact these were among the workers who accepted his ultimatum etc. and the fact that Twitter wasn’t in financial crises until Mr. Resources came along and overpaid.
No decent human does this given circumstances that clearly make it entirely optional.

...what?

the story posted was about layoffs at Tesla not at twitter.

Has there been a story about layoffs, post ultimatum, at twitter that was missed?

There’s no defending it.

Is Twitter profitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.