Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In an earlier post, you stated you're a libertarian, but that seems to be the opposite of what you wrote in the last line, telling people what to do. Although it could have only been a suggestion.
If we're going to discourse, at least lets do so fairly. He didn't say there should be a LAW that you should Be the Elon You Want to See in the world. Though, I'm not one myself and I don't know what a (non)card carrying Libertarian might say, I doubt they're prohibited from having opinions on what might be the best way for others to act...

Those who want to be actually informed should listen to this short clip rather than allow your neurons to be bombarded with the misleading noise spread by MSM and those who want Elon and Tesla to fail. You have a choice!
I agree with other comments - this statement from Elon is what has already been reported in the media. Not any new info here.

Reactions: BitJam
Wow! This was good. If Elon could spend more time doing things like this and less time promoting the far right and promoting wacky conspiracy theories then he might have a chance.

Full Recording: Elon Musk on Twitter Spaces Talking Twitter Financials with George Hotz Dec 20 2022​

Elon discusses the dire financial situation. He hopes to stop hemorrhaging billions per year by the end of next year. He even used the same crash dive metaphor I used. He made one begrudging admission of a mistake, saying it was wrong to ban an account merely for linking to Mastodon. Elon mostly backed off from his insane attacks on the hands that feed him, the advertisers. He admits they were acting rationally and (by implication) not due to some vast left wing anti-free-speech anti-Elon conspiracy.

I'm delighted to see this progress but it's still unclear to me how increasing his cost of doing business by over $1B per year and cutting his advertising base in half will somehow magically turn things around. I highly doubt the famous blue $8 check mark will be a significant help (it will be millions, not billions) but he still holds out hope. Unfortunately, while his right-wing circus side show act is good in the short term by keeping Twitter in the news, it's bad long term since it alienates so many people. Let's eat more of this delicious seed corn!

On the negative side he doubled down on his free speech absolutism talk (sticking as close as possible to what the law allows) despite his massive anti-free-speech actions while being in charge of Twitter (such as banning someone for merely linking to Mastodon). Despite some progress he still appears utterly clueless about the fact that the product social media platforms sell is moderation. Either he is lying his hat off about this or he is willfully unaware of the current existing bastions of free speech absolutism like 4chan and 8kun.

If Elon had done this sort of thing from the start and stayed out of the hornets nests of partisan politics and right wing conspiracy nonsense then he and Twitter and Tesla would have been in much better shape today. I fervently hope he can keep the nutso Elon in check and under wraps.

How often does this need to be debunked?

Testimony and quotes from a slew of aerospace engineers, astronauts, and more from SpaceX, Nasa, JPL, etc all confirming Elon is deeply involved in the actual design and engineering of everything SpaceX does.

Likewise you can find similar, especially in the roadster days, about his engineering and design work at Tesla-- even from the very other founders who otherwise hate the guy.

There's a LOT of valid criticism of Elon... "He's just a face who does no technical work" is not one of them.

Lmao all those quotes are a joke. Its words you use to make your nosey micro managing boss feel/look good. I did it to my boss (director) too who were a-lil technical. But could he replace one of us and do what our team does? absolutely not. But does he understand what we do if we explain it at a conceptual level? sure. So we praise him for it as other previous director didn't.

You will never understand this because you are not an engineer.
Elon claims he knows all about NN. But he won't be able to build a ML model if his life depended on it. He can't do what ML engineers are doing. period.

The fact you believe that shows how much Elon kool-aid you've been drinking.

Elon couldn't engineer (from scratch) or code himself out of a paper bag.

Lmao all those quotes are a joke. Its words you use to make your nosey micro managing boss feel/look good.

Given some of those quoted don't work for Elon (and there's many more such quotes for those who no longer do and have no reason to lie after the fact) this analysis is as poor as....well...your typical replies to these things.

That's apart from your utter inability to find any sourced quotes from anybody who worked with him in any technical capacity at say SpaceX that contradicts any of the claims made by all those people.

Instead your only attempt to dispute them is that he didn't answer a completely unrelated software question about an entirely different company.

I admire the consistency with which you're wrong about literally everything my dude :)

Given many of those quoted don't work for Elon (and there's many more such quotes for those who no longer do and have no reason to lie after the fact) this analysis is as poor as....well...your typical replies to these things.
Lol Elon is an ego-maniac narcissistic. Which has been proven time and time again. No one will dare say anything that could be construed to be against him as he would lash out at them. Even his greatest supporters. This has been proven for years. People who are still holding their ears screaming just don't want to accept it. Or they think his twitter behavior is something new. No this is who he is, he's always been a yes man and anyone who says No get fired or attacked.

Secondly, people play up to celebrities and billionaires.

Elon can't code, nor can he design and train NN architectures. Its that simple. Anyone who believes otherwise is clueless.

He is the buzzword king. "raw photon count, vector space, etc".
He gets into these meetings with his dev team. The devs team tells him what they are currently working on.
He goes on twitter and interviews and regurgitates the buzz words and then say "I know more about NN than anyone".

I admire the consistency with which you're wrong about literally everything my dude :)
Says the person whose every single post is wrong.

Lol Elon is an ego-maniac narcissistic. Which has been proven time and time again. No one will dare say anything that could be construed to be against him as he would lash out at them. Even his greatest supporters. This has been proven for years. People who are still holding their ears screaming just don't want to accept it. Or they think his twitter behavior is something new. No this is who he is, he's always been a yes man and anyone who says No get fired or attacked.

So your entire reply to a litany of career aerospace engineers, rocket designers, and literal astronaunts all telling you you're grossly wrong is to insist they're ALL lying, ALL in the same way, because they don't want Elon to be mean to them.

And your evidence is.... jumping up and down and insisting it's true.

WELL ARGUED!

Elon can't code

That page includes the source code for a game Elon wrote. At age 12. And sold for $500 at the time.

Which is significantly more code than we have any evidence for you ever writing :)

The page cites a number of other actual known examples of Elon coding including at both Zip2it and x.com. The thing you, wrongly as always, said he can't do.

It does note he doesn't write GREAT code... with some of the early code he wrote at both places being improved by later developers.

But, as always, your actual claim is disproven by actual facts.

None of which is actually related to the original topic of him being an engineer who significantly contributes to the engineering (not software) at SpaceX-- as proven with a slew of sources for which you have no rebuttal except to scream NU UH over and over as usual.

Reactions: SmokyPeat
Didn't Sandy Monro say that he attended a Tesla design review and that he found Musk's participation impressive?
Also Everyday Astronaut's walks through Boca with Elon show more than a buzz word understanding of the issues by Musk.
Yeah. The post you’re replying to is nothing but bitching. Musk has many failings but he clearly has many talents too. I watched his (multi hour) tour of the SpaceX facility too, and you can’t fake that level of understanding. He not only understands how those things are built but he’s been part of the design journey to get there too.

I note that Musk does not lead the AI day discussions of FSD tech, but I have seen him talk at length about the manufacturing process improvements Tesla made when they were scaling and which he seemed to be working directly on.

Secondly, people play up to celebrities and billionaires.

Elon can't code, nor can he design and train NN architectures. Its that simple. Anyone who believes otherwise is clueless.

He is the buzzword king. "raw photon count, vector space, etc".
He gets into these meetings with his dev team. The devs team tells him what they are currently working on.
He goes on twitter and interviews and regurgitates the buzz words and then say "I know more about NN than anyone".

Says the person whose every single post is wrong.
MOD: I am not going to defend or criticize either your post or the ones decrying it. I am going to note that Congratulations! You have garnered TEN warnings, probations and temp-bans in under five years; I believe that to be a record. Your antagonistic posts are worth another one. Or maybe we should poll. "Who thinks this poster merits a permanent ban? I will abide by the results."

Lmao all those quotes are a joke. Its words you use to make your nosey micro managing boss feel/look good. I did it to my boss (director) too who were a-lil technical. But could he replace one of us and do what our team does? absolutely not. But does he understand what we do if we explain it at a conceptual level? sure. So we praise him for it as other previous director didn't.

Elon claims he knows all about NN. But he won't be able to build a ML model if his life depended on it. He can't do what ML engineers are doing. period.

The fact you believe that shows how much Elon kool-aid you've been drinking.

Elon couldn't engineer (from scratch) or code himself out of a paper bag.

Well as an engineer I must disagree with your assessment. What I've seen from Elon(pre Twitter) looks like a typical progression from someone who works much closer to bare metal to someone who has to manage large groups of people who are doing the real work. His understanding of the lower level details has probably atrophied in favor of refining his understanding of the big picture and how to execute that.

It's pretty standard stuff really. Look, I'm as irritated by this Twitter nonsense as anyone but do we really need to rewrite history out of spite?

So your entire reply to a litany of career aerospace engineers, rocket designers, and literal astronaunts all telling you you're grossly wrong is to insist they're ALL lying, ALL in the same way, because they don't want Elon to be mean to them.

And your evidence is.... jumping up and down and insisting it's true.

WELL ARGUED!

That page includes the source code for a game Elon wrote. At age 12. And sold for $500 at the time.

Which is significantly more code than we have any evidence for you ever writing :)

The page cites a number of other actual known examples of Elon coding including at both Zip2it and x.com. The thing you, wrongly as always, said he can't do.

It does note he doesn't write GREAT code... with some of the early code he wrote at both places being improved by later developers.

But, as always, your actual claim is disproven by actual facts.

None of which is actually related to the original topic of him being an engineer who significantly contributes to the engineering (not software) at SpaceX-- as proven with a slew of sources for which you have no rebuttal except to scream NU UH over and over as usual.
I totally agree with you. But it was funny to see the article say the Vic-20 has 5GB of memory. It only had 5KB of memory so the article was off by 6 orders of magnitude.

I completely agree with you that Elon has made substantial contributions to the engineering at Tesla and SpaceX. I'm glad you're fighting the good fight but it may be of no use against zealots. The people who think Elon can do nothing right are just as much of a problem as those who think he can do nothing wrong.

Confused my this. Isn't Elon just confirming exactly what has been reported in the MSM?
Yep, other than perhaps the revenue estimate, I learned pretty much nothing new that the MSM didn't cover already. Everyone knew even if he didn't buy, Twitter would have had to do cost cutting to account for the economic downturn, that isn't the main issue people had with Elon's moves. The issue is all the policy changes he did, firing the wrong people, and reinstating accounts that advertisers didn't want association with. That was what cratered the revenue.

Using his numbers about next year being down by $3 billion if he didn't make cuts, $1.5 billion being debt he added: if he didn't make the purchase, Twitter would have only had to make $1.5 billion in cuts to break even, instead of $3 billion.

To use his analogy about a falling plane, his purchase actually made things worse (like clipping one of the wings while it was gliding downwards).

As it relates to advertisers leaving or reducing spending, he admits it was reasonable as part of the economic downturn, same as I had been saying. The whole bit about "activists" getting advertisers to stop ads that was used to justify not having a moderation council, was a complete farce.

More layoffs at Tesla next year?:

"The company is planning another round of layoffs for the first quarter and is instituting a hiring freeze, Electrek reported on Wednesday, citing a person familiar with the matter...

"...a 61% drop for Tesla shares n the year to date....Tesla is one of the biggest year-to-date decliners in the S&P 500 which is down nearly 19% over the same stretch..."

I hope folks didn't give up everything just to get laid off next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.