Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Indeed.com: An organization's chief executive officer is its highest-ranking position. CEOs take responsibility for their companies' overall success.

Eberhard served as CEO and president of technology at Tesla until late 2007. I guess I give Eberhard more credit for Tesla's foundation than Musk. And I think there are a lot of bright people working at Tesla who are responsible for its accomplishments. I don't give Musk a lot of credit for engineering skills, I think he blusters his way through with a load of confidence and people just assume he knows what he's talking about. His performance and arguments with engineers & programmers regarding Twitter shows he uses a lot of techno-speak but can't explain things on the fly. It looks like people who have the know-how believe this. For example:

Eberhard was a F-ing moron that was running Tesla into the ground. It's well documented he could not keep spending under control and made some very bone-headed engineering decisions. Elon was brought on by the Board of Directors to specifically address Eberhard's failings, and he did so very well and very efficiently.

To this day Eberhard is bitter about being ousted, but ALL the other execs at the company at the time said Elon literally saved Telsa through his actions.

As many people like the Yoke, a lot also hate it. Having both options available is good for sales. Neighbor up the street has a 2020 MS Perf, and wanted the Plaid, but refused to buy because of the yoke. Hopefully now he does buy.
Yes the wheel option was an obvious easy solution for those who don't like the yoke. I haven't tried the yoke yet and I can imagine it might take some getting used to.

As others have pointed out you are focusing entirely on his mistakes, which are many, but ignoring his real successes and actual abilities. Of course it took all the people working at SpaceX and Tesla to make the companies become successful but you can't ignore the fact that the person leading these companies, (plus his other successful companies), obviously has some extraordinary abilites in some areas. Blind hatred of Musk and his accomplishments is no more rational than blind worship. His problem is that he thinks those abilities extend further than they do.
I'm going to chime in here because I have the experience. Until recently, I've been a working development engineer with 30-some years of experience.

I'm a telling you: All it takes is one misguided upper management type to kill an engineering division and a company. Come up with a better mousetrap? "It wasn't done like that in my day." That's one. Or, "Yeah, the division is losing money. Yes, this New Thing would Save The Day and Blow Away The Competition. But my compensation is based upon How Much Profit My Division Makes (an engineering division that doesn't have a manufacturing source of profit?), so I'm cutting costs. No development budget. Here's some cockamamie thing I made up that I want this thing to have (we're talking about some gonzo six levels up who hasn't done engineering since there were slide rules) and go back to the drawing board."

One of the things that Musk has done, repetitively, is to fire inefficient, misguided managers who get in the engineers' way. He's pushed engineering groups to Go For The Gold and, delightedly, those engineers have done just that. He allows for mistakes and encourages people to Try New Stuff to see if it works.

Do you people realize how rare this attitude is? Most management types above (but not always) One Level Up are insanely risk-averse. Most engineering groups are under the impression that One Mistake gets one fired or the group disbanded.

Think Venture Capitalists. They routinely fund what (they hope) are promising startups. For every ten start-ups funded, the majority fail; some make a little money; and once in a while, something Majorly Impressive comes around, pays serious money, and the VC funds more start-ups. It works.

The difference: Musk has serious technical chops. He stays, however imperfectly, in the loop with the Real Engineering Designs and Data in front of him. He makes fewer mistakes than the run-of-the-mill VC, and he dreams.

Sometimes those dreams aren't super-duper wonderful: The Boring Company comes to mind, not to mention Hyperloop. But SpaceX and Tesla have punctured moribund, risk-adverse and/or corruptly managed companies.

It takes more than tons of talented engineers. It takes a CEO, or CEO-like figure, who forces the management to stand up and fly right.

There are things about Musk that are, frankly, detestable. His speech on Twitter should make anybody cringe. But the ability to manage a couple of tech companies and change the world? That's not in question, even though those that detest his weird political leanings would like to think so.

Meanwhile, back on topic:

1679236231862.png

Gotta love it when authoritarian CEO types want to dictate how people live.
Because of course the only reason for human existence, for desperately preserving that spark of human consciousness he’s so concerned about is… toiling harder and longer into old age for bosses like him.
So, people need to have more kids AND we need to raise the retirement age?

No problems with that plan.

Gotta love it when authoritarian CEO types want to dictate how people live.
Because of course the only reason for human existence, for desperately preserving that spark of human consciousness he’s so concerned about is… toiling harder and longer into old age for bosses like him.
Yup, work longer and harder to drive the corporate machine, how dare people want to have more free time near the end of their lives? Not hardcore!

I find it amazing how upset people can get if I give more credit to engineering teams than the guy on top who has no background in EVs or even general automotive. Just because Musk made an announcement about a new feature, it doesn't mean he's the one who came up with it, just as it is when Tim Cook makes an iPhone-related announcement. If or when Musk leaves Tesla for whatever reason, I sincerely hope Tesla will continue on and be successful. But to say that Musk deserves all or most of the credit is a folly. If true, though, then Tesla will collapse when the day comes. I hope not.

I try to source where I get my information from or how I develop my opinions so people can see where I'm coming from. So please do the same.

As an example, how is that Full Self Driving working when using visual cameras only? Let's check on that:

How Elon Musk knocked Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ off course
“No one believed me that working for Elon was the way it was until they saw how he operated Twitter,” Bernal said, calling Twitter “just the tip of the iceberg on how he operates Tesla.”

He [Musk] zeroed in on a target: the car radar sensors, which are designed to detect hazards at long ranges and prevent the vehicles from barreling into other cars in traffic. The sleek bodies of the cars already bristled with eight cameras designed to view the road and spot hazards in each direction. That, Musk argued, should be enough.

Some Tesla engineers were aghast, said former employees with knowledge of his reaction, speaking on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution. They contacted a trusted former executive for advice on how to talk Musk out of it, in previously unreported pushback. Without radar, Teslas would be susceptible to basic perception errors if the cameras were obscured by raindrops or even bright sunlight, problems that could lead to crashes.

Musk was unconvinced and overruled his engineers. In May 2021 Tesla announced it was eliminating radar on new cars. Soon after, the company began disabling radar in cars already on the road. The result, according to interviews with nearly a dozen former employees and test drivers, safety officials and other experts, was an uptick in crashes, near misses and other embarrassing mistakes by Tesla vehicles suddenly deprived of a critical sensor.

They said Musk’s erratic leadership style also played a role, forcing them to work at a breakneck pace to develop the technology and to push it out to the public before it was ready. Some said they are worried that, even today, the software is not safe to be used on public roads. Most spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution.
“No one believed me that working for Elon was the way it was until they saw how he operated Twitter,” Bernal said, calling Twitter “just the tip of the iceberg on how he operates Tesla.”

In April 2019, at a showcase dubbed “Autonomy Investor Day,” Musk made perhaps his boldest prediction as Tesla’s chief executive. “By the middle of next year, we’ll have over a million Tesla cars on the road with full self-driving hardware,” Musk told a roomful of investors. The software updates automatically over the air, and Full Self-Driving would be so reliable, he said, the driver “could go to sleep.”

[We seem to have missed this prediction, since it is 2023.]

Investors were sold. The following year, Tesla’s stock price soared, making it the most valuable automaker and helping Musk become the world’s richest person.
(but Full Self Driving is not full self driving so please don't believe it is if you don't want to risk accident or death)
The article continues on with more details on how FSB isn't working out and how Tesla's testing methodology differs from its competitors. It's a worthy read to view the differences between the two even if you still think Tesla's is superior.
I have no crystal ball, therefore no clarity on how Tesla would fare without Musk at the helm. I perceived the implementation of Camera Vision via the riddance of radar as a total BS story fabricated to bypass supply chain issues in 2021. Never made sense to me and I never believed it would prove to be a better standalone solution. Which it hasn't! BS and bluster are traits I anticipate from Musk so I discount everything he says. I consider him a pathological liar.

In Musk's favor, he's a fearless gambler who knows how to make a buck. That's been good for Tesla, thus far. For example, he created a FOMO sales boom in 2022 with nose bleed price increases leading to a profit bonanza. Then slashed prices just as radically when the tides shifted leading to another sales boom. Most CEOs don't have the balls or agility to read the room that fast! It pissed off lots of new Tesla owners who overpaid for their rides but was accretive to TSLA's bottom line.

I have no crystal ball, therefore no clarity on how Tesla would fare without Musk at the helm. I perceived the implementation of Camera Vision via the riddance of radar as a total BS story fabricated to bypass supply chain issues in 2021. Never made sense to me and I never believed it would prove to be a better standalone solution. Which it hasn't! BS and bluster are traits I anticipate from Musk so I discount everything he says. I consider him a pathological liar.

In Musk's favor, he's a fearless gambler who knows how to make a buck. That's been good for Tesla, thus far. For example, he created a FOMO sales boom in 2022 with nose bleed price increases leading to a profit bonanza. Then slashed prices just as radically when the tides shifted leading to another sales boom. Most CEOs don't have the balls or agility to read the room that fast! It pissed off lots of new Tesla owners who overpaid for their rides but was accretive to TSLA's bottom line.
Odds for breaking into the car market by a startup? Not good. Perhaps they would have achieved a couple of patents....and they may have survived as a niche player in the supercar market. Everything that is Tesla is Elon. He risked it all.
And... I won’t be that surprised if Twitter becomes profitable...

Reactions: ccook and philw1776
With one notable exception: Twitter.
As I noted previously, the difference with Twitter is Musk sucker punched himself in the face by bragging his way into an awful deal he actually wanted no part of. Buying Twitter wasn't a gamble, it was a lame blunder! Gambling, by definition, presupposes losses. Skillful gamblers simply win more than they lose. I consider Musk a skillful gambler.

As I noted previously, the difference with Twitter is Musk sucker punched himself in the face by bragging his way into an awful deal he actually wanted no part of. Buying Twitter wasn't a gamble, it was a lame blunder! Gambling, by definition, presupposes losses. Skillful gamblers simply win more than they lose. I consider Musk a skillful gambler.
True....but when you have more money than it’s possible to spend...what does it matter?

Glad that was not investor or BOD sentiment for Elon's first decade at Tesla or SpaceX.
Premature ejaculation of conclusion.
I have not seen any evidence that he's going in the right direction or even realizes he's one of the biggest problems. Fact of the matter is, getting social media right is hard. People who are actually, you know, social, and do not have any mental disorders that affect their ability to socialize struggle with it. Then you throw in Elon's Asperger's on top of that and I don't know how he could possibly get himself out of the hole he's gotten himself into. Unlike SpaceX and Tesla, which are technical problems that require technical solutions (and Elon has plenty of technical expertise), the problems at Twitter are not technical.

Haven't seen Elon respond to this...

Will he just ignore it? Claim that mainstream media is just laughably wrong? Somehow amplifying Russian propaganda is okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.