Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Twitter is the #1 news app on the AppStore"

How can this be true? All of the Elon haters assured me that Twitter would be out of business in two weeks. 🤭🤣

🚀
đź’Ż
Maybe you could explain something to me since I don't have an iPhone. Is this a ranking by either average rating or total number of downloads? On Google Play, Twitter isn't in the top ten by either rating or downloads, but I wonder if Google doesn't classify Twitter as a news app.

No one said media paywalls are brilliant either, in fact plenty of people here hate them and work around them, plus they are also struggling to gain enough revenue (which is why the fight with Google News to get money). But traditional media is a bit different, given they come from the newspaper and magazine days where people that are subscribed are used to paying money for curated and editorialized content.

Twitter however is largely user generated content from a generation that is used to getting free ad supported content. Trying to convince this crowd to pay is much harder (esp. $8 per month, when people are trying to avoid paying Netflix for similar amounts for much higher quality content).
No one likes a paywall. But for now there are no great options to hire and pay professional journalists.
Paid “content creators” tend to get into hype/spin/exaggeration/outrage in the fight to rise above the cacaohony of the internet and make themselves a brand.
Or they’re paid by someone with a specific agenda.
Much else on Twitter is regurgitation etc.
The solid facts have to originate somewhere. And content creators doing that is a sad joke.

Who calls it a news app?
Twitter will become like WeChat. Who calls WeChat a news app?

WeChat is more than a messaging and social media app – it is a lifestyle for one billion users across the world. Chat and make calls with friends, read news and use local services in Official Accounts and Mini Programs, play games with friends, enjoy mobile payment features with WeChat Pay, and much more. 🤓

WeChat is more than a messaging and social media app – it is a lifestyle for one billion users across the world. Chat and make calls with friends, read news and use local services in Official Accounts and Mini Programs, play games with friends, enjoy mobile payment features with WeChat Pay, and much more. 🤓
My understanding is that X.com will be the WeChat equivalent. Twitter would be a standalone app plus a section of X app.

Reactions: InDaClub

I think the point is by classifying it to a smaller subcategory, it's easier to claim it is #1 (on Android it is #4 in its actual category of free Social Networking apps, behind TikTok, Instagram, and Facebook).

WeChat for example is in the communications and messaging and video categories. This category has a lot more downloads (WeChat doesn't rank that high but even it has 100M+ downloads) than just news apps (the highest NYTimes has only 10M+ downloads). The fact that WeChat can be used to read news doesn't change this (practically every communication app can be used to read news).

Last edited:
Something something absolutist something something meme.

Twitter is now marking Substack links as unsafe

Twitter has started marking links to Substack as unsafe. If you click on a link on Twitter with substack.com in the URL, Twitter will show a separate notice warning you that “the link you are trying to access has been identified by Twitter or our partners as being potentially spammy or unsafe.”

Don’t be alarmed — the links we’ve checked appear to be perfectly safe. This notice seems instead to be Twitter’s latest hostile move toward Substack after the email newsletter platform announced its own Twitter-like “Notes” feature on Wednesday.

Never. Doubt. Elon.
So that guy he was tweeting about IS a pedophile? And Pelosi’s husband was beaten by a male prositute he may have hired? And there actually will be a content moderation panel at Twitter. The Twitter Files hold serious revelations. And we’ll have FSD in two weeks, or next year. And the cyber truck will be $39,000 and go on sale in two weeks...And someone tried to attack his family because of the jet tracker. And NPR is state media.... I could type all day.
It actually seems pretty reasonable to doubt Elon.

Status
Not open for further replies.