Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email from Tesla - Powerwall uses 3G Cellular Please connect to Wifi or Ethernet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support

Is there some magic trick to opening knock out holes? Every time I've done that I'm pounding on the usually junction box, wrangling it to get the damn thing out. Don't really want to do it that with the GW. 5150Code3's picture in post #92 is the same type of knock out as mine. Is there a gentler touch method or is brute force the only way to do it?
Yes, there is.
If you look closely at the knockout holes, you will see two bumps 180 degrees from each other. They hold the knockout in place. 90 degrees away, at the edge is where you want to put a chisel or screwdriver and hit the chisel with your hammer/mallet. Some knockouts have several sizes with the bumps staggered around the edge so you can just remove the size that you are interested in.

All the best,

BG

Upvote 0
I am only making a guess here, with no corroboration whatsoever, but my GUESS is, that those of us with Gateway V1 (or what I will call 1A, that has the reset button in it), likely have 3G modems, and people with Gateway version 2 may have 4G.

I say that because the gateway V1 was around for a while, and gateway V2 is only a year old. I also have not seen anyone with a Gateway version 1 say they got a retraction email from tesla that "the previous email did not apply to you.

I know I did not get one of those retraction emails, but I see people posting about them, and they all seem to be people with Gateway 2s.
I have not received a retraction, my box is grey but installed less than a year ago. I tried calling Tesla but the wait was hours and callback never happened.

Upvote 0
I have not received a retraction, my box is grey but installed less than a year ago. I tried calling Tesla but the wait was hours and callback never happened.

The grey box gateways are all either gateway 1 or what I called "1A". The main difference between 1 and 1A as I understand it, is simply that 1A has a reset button recessed hole. I am not sure of any other differences between those two. Gateway 2 is the one that looks like a mini powerwall.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Upvote 0
I think they may have installed an old GW when it was installed. Pictured above right PW is a GW2

screenshot_986.jpg

Upvote 0
I think they may have installed an old GW when it was installed. Pictured above right PW is a GW2

View attachment 743290

I guess that depends on when @floodland got installed. I dont remember when gateway 2 came out, but there was definitely a transition. In most cases, there isnt a real functional difference unless someone is landing loads inside the gateway, at least thats my understanding.

Upvote 0
My technique is a bit different. I use the same tools but go 90* from the tab and try to 'spin' the knock out around the tab axis. Doing this back and forth a number of times and the knock out will eventually be free.
That is what I have done in the past. This will allow you to grab that knockout with a plyer so it will not fall where you may not want it to fall.

Upvote 0
I am only making a guess here, with no corroboration whatsoever, but my GUESS is, that those of us with Gateway V1 (or what I will call 1A, that has the reset button in it), likely have 3G modems, and people with Gateway version 2 may have 4G.

I say that because the gateway V1 was around for a while, and gateway V2 is only a year old. I also have not seen anyone with a Gateway version 1 say they got a retraction email from tesla that "the previous email did not apply to you.

I know I did not get one of those retraction emails, but I see people posting about them, and they all seem to be people with Gateway 2s.
Thanks. Now, I hope the Gateway has some memory of recent history so when wi-fi is on, it will use that data to update. otherwise, I am in deep...

Upvote 0
I received an email from Tesla telling me 3G is shutting down and to use the Tesla App to configure Wi-Fi. The instructions in the email are
  • Open the Tesla app, find ‘Settings’ and select ‘Configure Wi-Fi'
On my iOS app, I don't have an option for 'Configure Wi-Fi' under Settings.

The Tesla website has a different set of instructions I also cannot find in the iOS app Connecting Powerwall to Wi-Fi | Tesla Support
on my IOS app it is on the very bottom of "Settings". Just above "Version" and "Serial Number". I had to scroll 3-4 times to find it.

Upvote 0
on my IOS app it is on the very bottom of "Settings". Just above "Version" and "Serial Number". I had to scroll 3-4 times to find it.
Didn’t read the thread huh? 😉 It’s there now in Settings but was not for most when Tesla sent the original email. This thread unfolded Friday in near real time in response to that first Tesla email.

Upvote 0
I received the "Action Required" email on Friday at 11 AM PST but I ignored it and figured it was just a bulk mailing to all PW customers because I knew that my GW2 has all three interfaces up (hardwire Ethernet, WiFi and cellular). I was actually surprised when I received the "Correction" email four hours later saying my system was already correctly configured; often organizations like Tesla don't bother with corrections.

Upvote 0
They fit in a standard 1/2"(NPT) knockout.
Thanks, I had ordered an eNet cable and this exact fitting from Amazon. I got the 1" Fitting, I assume I need that for the hole that is 1" unless you need a 1" hole for a ½" fitting. If so then I can return it. Amazon got me the cable in 1 day (today) fitting comes Thursday. Knock out was the easiest I've ever done. Simple tap and it popped out. I wish all worked that way. Right now cable is going through the raw hole to be filled on Thursday. I'm hooked up every way you can. It's dealers choice. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, I had ordered an eNet cable and this exact fitting from Amazon. I got the 1" Fitting, I assume I need that for the hole that is 1" unless you need a 1" hole for a ½" fitting. If so then I can return it. Amazon got me the cable in 1 day (today) fitting comes Thursday. Knock out was the easiest I've ever done. Simple tap and it popped out. I wish all worked that way. Right now cable is going through the raw hole to be filled on Thursday. I'm hooked up every way you can. It's dealers choice. :)
Conduit and fittings are sized by the inside diameter, not the outside diameter. The knockout for a 1/2" fitting is about 7/8" in diameter while the knockout for a 3/4" fitting is a little under 1 1/8" in diameter.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0