Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been holding off on upgrading firmware until ELDA can be permanently turned off or has improved - what are people's more recent experiences with this. I live in a rural area - with lot's of windy roads, not well marked, that have potholes that need to be avoided. Should I wait to upgrade?

There's a huge thread about ELDA and you should also look there. It still sucks for me. Others are reporting they've noticed improvement. My daily drive includes narrow roads with lots of curves and I get warnings if I don't turn it off.

Reactions: puckpurnell
Thanks but I’m not satisfied. On one of my normal drives, I try to avoid a few “deep” manhole covers for obvious reasons. For a couple of them, I need to cross over the right side line and ELDA screams and yanks me back. I suppose putting on my turn signal would quiet the ELDA but ... really? Now, just to be clear, I love the idea of ELDA. I just want a modicum of control. I’ll ride with it on the Interstate for sure, particularly if it’s a long drive or I’m tired. It’s the back roads where I usually drive that it interferes and makes me cranky.

I've had the opposite from the 3 of you. If my car drifts to the left and crosses into the next lane or in the case of a 2 way road the center line it just beeps and lights up blue then nudges the steering back to the right and into the lane no sudden jerking or yanking. If it drifts to the right and it is the edge of the road then it gives a good push back left into the lane while glowing red and telling me to take control but again I've never been "yankled" back into a lane or had it swerve violently due to ELDA. Hell I've even let it ping pong without touching the wheel a few times just to see what it would do and still just nice and easy to keep it in it's own lane.

As for avoiding things in the road or even changing into another lane ELDA will let you steer the car even without blinkers into another lane if it senses you are steering the car in that direction. It will still light up blue that you are crossing and give a little resistance until it continues to feel the feed back from you steering. I have reproduced this multiple times and again never had any of these issues with being "yanked", swerving violently or other bad behavior. If anything with my car there are times it does not activate. I have a road that is clearly double yellow divided that I can let the car drift over the line and it does nothing but I get to part of the same road where the yellow lines isn't as obvious and it will activate if I cross.

I wrote customer support about the fact that i would like to be able to turn it off permanently, here is the answer...

Hello Antoine,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your email.

I understand your concern as the lane departure currently can only be used properly in certain situations (on the freeway). On surface streets or streets not painted consistently it can cause a problem.

I will submit this as feature request, but my thinking is the place in which this feature sits as far as our future with FSD it is seen as a safety feature. Much like seatbelts, airbags, and emergency braking. Except, it has a lot of work to be put in that position.

If you imagine it working as it should there should be no reason to have to turn it off and would want something you want always on.

I hope this helps you understand our vision with this feature and why it re-enables itself.

We thank you for helping Tesla to accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable energy.

Alex G | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
www.tesla.com/support

• Disagree
Reactions: puckpurnell
I wrote customer support about the fact that i would like to be able to turn it off permanently, here is the answer...

Hello Antoine,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your email.

I understand your concern as the lane departure currently can only be used properly in certain situations (on the freeway). On surface streets or streets not painted consistently it can cause a problem.

I will submit this as feature request, but my thinking is the place in which this feature sits as far as our future with FSD it is seen as a safety feature. Much like seatbelts, airbags, and emergency braking. Except, it has a lot of work to be put in that position.

If you imagine it working as it should there should be no reason to have to turn it off and would want something you want always on.

I hope this helps you understand our vision with this feature and why it re-enables itself.

We thank you for helping Tesla to accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable energy.

Alex G | Tesla Support
www.tesla.com/support

I wrote another note to customer support, FWIW, asking them to 1) respect our choices in vehicles we own and 2) to respectfully refrain from providing unwanted opinions trying to change our minds... I included the above note as I've seen it a bunch of times now.. I removed Antoine from the greeting to protect the innocent ;)

Yeah cranky about being told what to want...

I wrote another note to customer support, FWIW, asking them to 1) respect our choices in vehicles we own and 2) to respectfully refrain from providing unwanted opinions trying to change our minds... I included the above note as I've seen it a bunch of times now.. I removed Antoine from the greeting to protect the innocent ;)

Yeah cranky about being told what to want...

Thank you MsJulie. My point exactly.

Hello Antoine,

Alex G | Tesla Support
www.tesla.com/support

When did you get this response back?

This such a frustrating response from the Tesla rep. The rep even acknowledges that there are problems with it on surface streets and streets that are not well painted. Sure, if it works like it's supposed to all the time and doesn't get randomly triggered, I'd probably have no issues keeping it on. When I drive on the freeway and well-marked streets, it doesn't go off and "works as it should." That's not my daily commute, though, and I should be able to permanently disable a feature that isn't working right.

My most recent response snippet from customer support - hopeful but we all have heard mixed messages before:

"With the recent lane departure enhancement and auto emergency brake those are both considered safety enhancements like a seat belt or an airbag which means the car is safer with them on than off.; You can turn the lane departure feature off, but it will reactivate on the next operation. We are in the process of coming up with future firmware which will retain our driver's preferences of having it off. "

Anyone who wants the choice when to enable, please write [email protected] and ask if they can confirm that a permanent off switch is coming !

Reactions: p-f-g and duanra
I just love the comparison with a seat belt. It would be a seat belt that works only under certain conditions, if you turn to the right it works...however it is not guarantee to work in a left turn. So it is best to inbuckle in left curve, but with the next update, it will unbuckle itself when you put your left turn indicator...ok...i am going oberboard...:)

• Love
Reactions: Msjulie
It's actually blue if you are just drifting out of your lane with no collision detection triggered and red if the car senses a possible collision. At least that is how my cars EDLA alerts area.

Blue is not ELDA, but is LDA. There is a difference, though both will try to steer the car.

Red is ELDA - audible alarm, collision threat detected (including leaving the road)
Blue is LDA - visual alert, no collision threat detected