Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency steering correction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So tonight driving home I was going round a long wide corner at around 60mph and I suddenly got a warning noise and ‘emergency steering correction’ (or similar) pop up in a red box.

No actual feel of a steering correction and definitely wasn’t warranted.

Has anyone else had this?

Anyone know why this occurred?

I’m in an SR+ on latest software, no FSD and no AP on at the time

So tonight driving home I was going round a long wide corner at around 60mph and I suddenly got a warning noise and ‘emergency steering correction’ (or similar) pop up in a red box.

No actual feel of a steering correction and definitely wasn’t warranted.

Has anyone else had this?

Anyone know why this occurred?

I’m in an SR+ on latest software, no FSD and no AP on at the time

Yes. There have been several reports in similar circumstances since new update 2020.8.1

I've had this happen twice. On a straight road when passing a bush or pole that was close to the edge of the road. Same thing though. In no danger of hitting it, but it passed close. No actual correction, just a warning. And I'm not on 2020.8.1 yet.

Happened to me in a Model S (2020.4.1) a couple of weeks ago. Steering briefly corrected when I didn't think there was an issue. I contacted Tesla via app to check. They said car was ok and had logged "side collision avoidance system activated to avoid an object on the left side." Its been fine since.

This has started happening on my M3 SR+ since the latest update. Driving down the same country lane I always have on the way to work. I have felt some steering input from the car which feels pretty dangerous when I am actually in control. Is there a way of turning this off???

Reactions: Rustybkts
2020.8.1.1 Raven LR+ MX:
It scared the snot out of me, I thought something was wrong with the car. It was a road I'd driven thousands of times (literally) in cars with Lane Departure Warning/Assist, and a dozen times in the Tesla before it went insane.

35 mph zone, 1 lane goes into 2 lanes, but lanes are unmarked. AP off. BZZZZ!!! INCOMING KLINGON BATTLECRUISER. EMERGENCY MANEUVER!

Reactions: drewpost
Happens to me several times a day driving on country roads with no discernible curb/pavement. Sometimes the steering does feel affected (for a millisecond).

Doesn't always coincide with the camera reporting as being blocked (this has happened a number of times over the last week too [mind you I only got my M3 last Monday]).

Disabled as I don’t want to risk an unexpected “correction”.

I seem to have to do that on every trip (resets itself) - is that normal?