Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of quarter purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the best time to try to take advantage of incentives? The very last day of the quarter (i.e. March 31st)? Or sometime towards the end of the month? Ready to order a new Model 3, timing not critical for me.

From what i have seen, the incentives they throw out usually come in the last few days of the quarter. Youd have to find a car at your local shop and take delivery within the last 3-4 days of the quarter.

TOugh to do unless you aren't picky with what you want.

From what i have seen, the incentives they throw out usually come in the last few days of the quarter. Youd have to find a car at your local shop and take delivery within the last 3-4 days of the quarter.

TOugh to do unless you aren't picky with what you want.

Ah, good to know. Yeah, this may be tough in my case, as I have a very specific configuration in mind.

Incentives and timing of incentives can vary a bit but are usually offered within the last few weeks of a quarter and therefore typically apply more to existing new inventory cars which can be delivered faster. Less predictable are retail/sticker price reductions (or increases) which happen anytime e.g., M3 SR+ just saw a base price reduction a couple of weeks ago.

Your best off just ordering the trim/options when you want the car and letting the cards fall where they do. So much uncertainty over everything tesla. Hardware updates, incentives, etc. All seem to be pretty random. The only thing to know at a high level is the end of quarter and end of the year they push because they want to wow investors with sales and delivery numbers.

If you really wanted one time where you probably have the best chance, I would say the end of the year. However, you will need to take delivery by a certain day, and if the car is not available in existing inventory and needs to be built, you will probably not be able to take advantage either way. You also are somewhat risking buying a car that is being built in a mad dash and can have issues (example being Elon exposing they rushed paint in December).

I picked up my 2020 Model Y on September 29. I was not given anything special for a quarter end delivery. Actually, when I asked to delay the delivery by a couple of days into October I was told that they would give "my" car, which was fully paid for, to someone else and put me at the end of the queue and thus a delay of 1 or 2 months.

Take a look at inventory levels of the car you are looking to purchase over the next few weeks. If Tesla has local inventory of what you want it’s possible you may get offered a small incentive to close by end of month. It will likely be free supercharger miles. In the past Tesla has been known to waive a paint or wheel upgrade if the car you want is white and/or 18” wheels but they only have other colors or 19” wheels in stock. But as of late demand has been strong enough that incentives have been minimal to non-existent.

Last year I (re)ordered my Model 3 on March 29. Got all of my financing and paperwork done on March 30 and delivery set for the next day, March 31. Got my car delivered to my home at 8:30pm on March 31.

Zero incentives offered. Zero incentives given.

However, last year was different with the Tesla factory being forced to shutdown the week before due to a worldwide pandemic, but even if those things didn't happen I have a feeling Tesla would not have offered any incentives for the Model 3 because the demand was higher than the supply.

I see one demo Model 3 in stock within 200 miles of me (Southern California) so I’d say the likelihood of incentives is not very high.

Nationwide there are about 100 new Model 3’s available for sale. That’s an average of about two per state. All indications are that demand is very high right now.

Actually they do sometimes at end of the quarter to help sales volumes. Some have reported additional supercharger miles, some have reported tire/wheel upgrades, etc. Tons of posts about them. Was just trying to get a feel for when to pull the trigger on a purchase to take advantage.
You can't take advantage of something that they haven't announced yet. They may not have one this quarter end, cause they still haven't announced it yet. Usually by mid month they would have said something.

Plus you have to take delivery before quarter end so the last day is not a good time to start the purchase.

You can't take advantage of something that they haven't announced yet. They may not have one this quarter end, cause they still haven't announced it yet. Usually by mid month they would have said something.

Plus you have to take delivery before quarter end so the last day is not a good time to start the purchase.
Yep, I grew impatient last week and pulled the trigger. Hoping for a delivery by end of month!