Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy cost summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been wondering what the Model S is costing us to operate in terms of energy consumption. Got the latest electric bill and here is a rough breakdown

Average 20.4kWhr per day extra electricity use compared to last year's bill. Model S is showing about 340Whr/mile so just about 60 miles for 20.4kWhr. This correlates to what my wife's average 60 mile daily drive.

Electricity cost is about 10 cents per kWhr so the cost is about $2/60miles. Close to 1/2 of the fuel cost of our Prius and probably 1/4 fuel cost of most other cars for running errands around town :)

But I told my wife the money she saves in fuel will go towards the expensive tires. Of course, Model S is a much more fun car to drive than the Prius :)

I have the MS programmed to charge only after the rates drop to about six cents per kWh in the evening so our electric bill would have increased by about $22 per month if we didn't have solar on the roof. We, too, drove a Prius until the MS arrived 13 months ago.

I have the MS programmed to charge only after the rates drop to about six cents per kWh in the evening so our electric bill would have increased by about $22 per month if we didn't have solar on the roof. We, too, drove a Prius until the MS arrived 13 months ago.

Wish we had lower rates at nights :( But I guess my electricity is mostly hydroelectric and fixed rate any time of day. They charge us about 9 cents/kWhr from 0 to 600kWhr and 11 cents after that with about 1 cent worth of credits.

I used about 6KWh more per day this fall with the car than I did last year (I have a very short commute to work). I'm looking forward to seeing how much reducing the Vampire load effects my totals... Most of my increased use is covered by additional solar panels, although this time of year they make next to nothing here is dark and cloudy Seattle. Can't wait for July!

I have over doubled my non-summer (oct-may) energy consumption. But changed to a TOU where I pay 1.29 cents/kWh from 2300-700. So my bill those months has only gone up about 30-40$. During the summer it was impossible to see any additional cost due to the Tesla (due to TOU switch). And that month to month my bill swung by $80 based on temperature.

I used about 6KWh more per day this fall with the car than I did last year (I have a very short commute to work). I'm looking forward to seeing how much reducing the Vampire load effects my totals... Most of my increased use is covered by additional solar panels, although this time of year they make next to nothing here is dark and cloudy Seattle. Can't wait for July!

And for those of you on PSE in WA remember you have the Green Power (REC) energy option which makes them commit to buy the kWh amount you use from renewable sources (mostly wind, small-hydro, biogas and a tad solar). It just adds a cent or so per kWh.