Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial Cost Per Mile over first 10k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found a myriad of reasons to enjoy my new MYLR, but my initial motivation was cost savings. I have zero regrets and love the car. That said, for anyone interested I'll share the costs associated with "fuel" for the first few months and 9,952 miles.

There are certainly other things to consider, maintenance, tires, etc. but I'm just going to focus in on electricity and the actually savings over my ICE cars that I've found.

Charging costs depend on how much you pay at home ($0.134 cents) and how often you use a Supercharger. My supercharger usage is going down, especially after I quickly discovered they are way more expensive, but after 10k I've supercharged about 38% of the time.

Cost Stats.png

Total cost of charing, $641.18 or $0.064 per mile. Comparing it to the Camry Hybrid I would have purchased or my current Prius and Suburban the Tesla beats them all.

Actual.png

If I could have charged exclusively at home I would have paid only slightly under $0.04 per mile. That would have been great. But alas...

dream at home.png

Probably not much to discuss here, but for anyone looking to take the plunge into an EV, I highly recommend it. Maybe these numbers will give you a picture of what you might expect if you drive a lot.

Attachments

• Actual cost.png
    Actual cost.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 317
  • estimated 10 year and 300k.png
    estimated 10 year and 300k.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 294
The biggest cost will likely be tires. I'd factor that in. Teslas eat tires. I spend more on tires than I do electrons.
I put a set of Goodyear F1s on my MYP as I wanted to see if the range would improve. (Which it did by 30 miles.)

The rears, we’re down to the where indicators in less than 12 months. The only reason I noticed this was because it 45 miles an hour on an offramp, the car lost traction in the rear… Started to slide around the corner. Fortunately, I’m no stranger to drifting…

I looked at the tires, and was amazed to noticed that they were that far worn… And, of course, being a loser, I hadn’t rotated the front tires, which are perfect and barely worn.

So yeah, $1000-$1500 every 12-18mos…

I put a set of Goodyear F1s on my MYP as I wanted to see if the range would improve. (Which it did by 30 miles.)

The rears, we’re down to the where indicators in less than 12 months. The only reason I noticed this was because it 45 miles an hour on an offramp, the car lost traction in the rear… Started to slide around the corner. Fortunately, I’m no stranger to drifting…

I looked at the tires, and was amazed to noticed that they were that far worn… And, of course, being a loser, I hadn’t rotated the front tires, which are perfect and barely worn.

How many miles is that? Most tires have some form of warranty on them with usually at a minimum ~ 20-25K mileage minimum before the wear indicators are exposed.

Reactions: gt2690b
If you want to keep the car well after the warranty, please do a comparison on it. I think you'll see that the ICE vehicles fare out better in terms of costs and maintenance.

How do I know? I own a Tesla Model S, 2017 version brand spanking new. After the 50k mile warranty ended, here's what I had to cover:

4-way coolant valve ($600)
PTC Heater Core ($1500)
Suspension ($2000)
Upper + Lower Control Arm ($1200)
Retractable Handle (all for total $1200)
Tires (replaced every year $600-1200)

All these items listed happened shortly after the warranty expires. The Tesla now has 130k miles on it.

The car is heavy so the suspension wear quite faster than ICE cars. It also wears down the tires faster since the load never changes based on fuel consumption. With ICE cars, the gas used is less weight. On EVs, it's always there, the load always remains so the tires will wear quicker.

On my Prius ICE car, 5 years after Warranty expires I never had to replace the suspension. The only thing I replaced was the alternator, 12-volt battery, and 3 sets of tires. OIl changes sure, but, it's like $20-$30 every 7000 miles at home in the garage. I used to drive roughly 20k miles a year on it. This car accumulated over 250k miles. Had it since 2008.

Not really fair! The model S was (and is) a flagship luxury sedan. A Prius is an economy car. If you were to compare ICE vs EV cost of ownership, you need to compare the S with other vehicles in that price range ($75-130k?)I can guarantee a 2017 7 series or S class would blow your S out of water on cost of ownership.

Reactions: gt2690b
Not really fair! The model S was (and is) a flagship luxury sedan. A Prius is an economy car. If you were to compare ICE vs EV cost of ownership, you need to compare the S with other vehicles in that price range ($75-130k?)I can guarantee a 2017 7 series or S class would blow your S out of water on cost of ownership.
not only that but my model S was a 7 seater with significantly more room than my prius

for me after resale the S was way cheaper per mile than the prius

it was a no-brainer... the tesla is WAAY faster than a prius... way more room... seats as many as a minivan.. and costs less per mile in "fuel"...
the prius was a road trip warrior though.. u could go 90 mph for almost 500 miles without stopping but with 3 kids that never happened anyway

2023MYP 12883 miles $483
3.75c/mile
I have only used supercharger for a total of about 20 mins
I top off at work (free hospital) 2/3 times per week
Home costs 11c/ during off peak at night.
Zero repairs, tires dont rotate and still seem new.

I love this Flipping Car!!! Most new cars O could care less after 6 months. I still hand wash this one… sais alot 😀

Last edited:

Teslas weigh 5Tons. As much as a Piclup Truck. That chews up the tires. But if you hit something with it its a flippin tank.

Tesla's are, in comparison to most other vehicles performance cars. Performance cars need high performance tires. High performance tires don't last as long as long mileage tires because they are softer.

Yes they EVs heavier which reduces tire life. But in comparison to other performance cars Tesla's don't eat tires.

Tire manufacturers do make some tires that have very hard compounds and can last 60k+ miles. In my opinion other than cruising on the open highway in a car that does 20k+ miles per year tires like this are unsafe due to their lack of grip in an emergency braking situation. I wouldn't dream of putting tires like that on a performance car.

L8d

Reactions: nate704