Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial Cost Per Mile over first 10k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found a myriad of reasons to enjoy my new MYLR, but my initial motivation was cost savings. I have zero regrets and love the car. That said, for anyone interested I'll share the costs associated with "fuel" for the first few months and 9,952 miles.

There are certainly other things to consider, maintenance, tires, etc. but I'm just going to focus in on electricity and the actually savings over my ICE cars that I've found.

Charging costs depend on how much you pay at home ($0.134 cents) and how often you use a Supercharger. My supercharger usage is going down, especially after I quickly discovered they are way more expensive, but after 10k I've supercharged about 38% of the time.

Cost Stats.png

Total cost of charing, $641.18 or $0.064 per mile. Comparing it to the Camry Hybrid I would have purchased or my current Prius and Suburban the Tesla beats them all.

Actual.png

If I could have charged exclusively at home I would have paid only slightly under $0.04 per mile. That would have been great. But alas...

dream at home.png

Probably not much to discuss here, but for anyone looking to take the plunge into an EV, I highly recommend it. Maybe these numbers will give you a picture of what you might expect if you drive a lot.

Attachments

• Actual cost.png
    Actual cost.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 318
  • estimated 10 year and 300k.png
    estimated 10 year and 300k.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 295
In my first 4 months of owning an EV, I've been able to do 100% of my charging at home where I pay an average of 10.5¢/kWh.

I have used a Supercharger, but only for the experience - not out of necessity.

A couple of months into my ownership, I discovered some free-to-me charging locations around town - one of which is a NEMA 14-50 receptacle at a park that I exercise at every day.

In theory, my cost per mile could be zero.

In the past 31 days, I've done all of my charging at no cost to me except for one day when I did more driving than normal and didn't want to sit in the vehicle for 5 hours. :)

IMG_5896.PNG

In my first 4 months of owning an EV, I've been able to do 100% of my charging at home where I pay an average of 10.5¢/kWh.

I have used a Supercharger, but only for the experience - not out of necessity.

A couple of months into my ownership, I discovered some free-to-me charging locations around town - one of which is a NEMA 14-50 receptacle at a park that I exercise at every day.

In theory, my cost per mile could be zero.

In the past 31 days, I've done all of my charging at no cost to me except for one day when I did more driving than normal and didn't want to sit in the vehicle for 5 hours. :)

View attachment 967576
Are you able to take advantage of that NIGHTIME only rate that Elon spoke about in TX, where it’s either $30 a month and all charging is free (well, it’s $30 a month I guess) or very very low nightime rates?

Are you able to take advantage of that NIGHTIME only rate that Elon spoke about in TX, where it’s either $30 a month and all charging is free (well, it’s $30 a month I guess) or very very low nightime rates?
Most of Texas is now deregulated so customers can choose between different power companies and plans such as Tesla Electric. I live in a part of Texas that is still regulated, so I don't get to choose my provider or plan. And, that's okay because my power is reliable and among the cheapest in the state.

I pay only two rates through SWEPCO - a flat 12¢/kWh from May-Oct and 9¢/kWh from Nov-Apr. It doesn't matter how much I use, when I use it, or what I use it for.

To make themselves look good (and fool customers), they DO offer an "EV charging plan" that includes a 2¢/kWh credit for overnight EV charging, but it would take anywhere from years to decades or never to break even when you factor in the parts and labor cost for the required submeter.

Even if I could switch to Tesla Electric, I wouldn't. My EV charging cost would decrease from $45-60/mo to $30/mo, but the cost per kWh for everything else would nearly double - it would cost me a lot more to switch to Tesla Electric.

Last edited:
Reactions: gt2690b
Most of Texas is now deregulated so customers can choose between different power companies and plans such as Tesla Electric. I live in a part of Texas that is still regulated, so I don't get to choose my provider or plan. And, that's okay because my power is reliable and among the cheapest in the state.

I pay only two rates - a flat 12¢/kWh from May-Oct and 9¢/kWh from Nov-Apr. It doesn't matter how much I use, when I use it, or what I use it for.

To make themselves look good (and fool customers), they DO offer an "EV charging plan" that includes a 2¢/kWh credit for overnight EV charging, but it would take anywhere from years to decades or never to break even when you factor in the parts and labor cost for the required submeter.

Even if I could switch to Tesla Electric, I wouldn't. My EV charging cost would decrease from $45-60/mo to $30/mo, but the cost per kWh for everything else would nearly double - it would cost me a lot more to switch to Tesla Electric.
So, it sounds like - per usual, what Elon said was quite the tease if indeed switching to a sub provider (since it sounded as if one only had to ADD this $30 monthly charge to get unlimited free overnight charging), to get a cheap either nightly or overnight rate would require simply much HIGHER rates for everything else all the rest of the time?

Reactions: zroger73
So, it sounds like - per usual, what Elon said was quite the tease if indeed switching to a sub provider, to get a cheap either nightly or overnight rate would require simply much HIGHER rates for everything else all the rest of the time?
pretty much.. if you live in a mild climate and use your dryer at night and you drive a crapload of miles everyday you could probably save some money..

me with a family of 6 i could never manage the power useage we are all over the place and sometimes need to charge the car in the middle of the day

Yeah, since there was free around town charging he saved about $35 I guess, but convenience does have a cost.
My free-to-me charging strategy started out on July 8 as week-long test out of curiosity to see if it was possible. When I realized that it was, I decided to extend the test to a month to see if it was practical. It wouldn't be for the vast majority of people, but I don't mind sitting in a climate-contolled vehicle and catching a nap or watching an episode or two of my favorite TV show or YouTube video followed by some exercise after work before heading home for the evening. This charging strategy has worked pretty well for me, so I might as well keep it going as long as it is convenient. :)

My free-to-me charging strategy started out on July 8 as week-long test out of curiosity to see if it was possible. When I realized that it was, I decided to extend the test to a month to see if it was practical. It wouldn't be for the vast majority of people, but I don't mind sitting in a climate-contolled vehicle and catching a nap or watching an episode or two of my favorite TV show or YouTube video followed by some exercise after work before heading home for the evening. This charging strategy has worked pretty well for me, so I might as well keep it going as long as it is convenient. :)
I have something like that here..it’s about 1/4 my at home cost, so about once a week or every 10 days I drive to town, plug it in (lvl 2 only) walk home .9 mile, walk back about six hours later and it’s added ~ 220 miles.

Reactions: zroger73
you could take it a step further get a 40A mobile connector
I have something like that here..it’s about 1/4 my at home cost, so about once a week or every 10 days I drive to town, plug it in (lvl 2 only) walk home .9 mile, walk back about six hours later and it’s added ~ 220 miles.
sounds like you need a scooter!

you could take it a step further get a 40A mobile connector
I really wanted to buy a $200 Corded Mobile Connector, but Tesla finally discontinued them on August 8. :(

sounds like you need a scooter!
I have an electric scooter that replaced my Onewheels. There's a Nissan dealer in town that has a charging station that is free to public use. It's located about a mile from a shopping center. I thought about plugging in and riding to the shopping center. :)

I really wanted to buy a $200 Corded Mobile Connector, but Tesla finally discontinued them on August 8. :(

I have an electric scooter that replaced my Onewheels. There's a Nissan dealer in town that has a charging station that is free to public use. It's located about a mile from a shopping center. I thought about plugging in and riding to the shopping center. :)
this corded mobile connector?

it is only 32A though.. the gen1 was 40A.. you can find them on ebay still

No - the Corded Mobile Connector.

I don't trust eBay. :)

Reactions: gt2690b
Very insightful original post. We bought 2 EV's and cost savings and the convenience of charging at home were the key selling points besides it being zero emissions, which was important to us. We used to spend about $8,500 a year in gas, so I expect we'll see significant savings with a fixed rate of about $0.10 KWh.

The only issue I see is reliability. It can turn this entire equation upside down.

Reactions: gad1976