Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial Cost Per Mile over first 10k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found a myriad of reasons to enjoy my new MYLR, but my initial motivation was cost savings. I have zero regrets and love the car. That said, for anyone interested I'll share the costs associated with "fuel" for the first few months and 9,952 miles.

There are certainly other things to consider, maintenance, tires, etc. but I'm just going to focus in on electricity and the actually savings over my ICE cars that I've found.

Charging costs depend on how much you pay at home ($0.134 cents) and how often you use a Supercharger. My supercharger usage is going down, especially after I quickly discovered they are way more expensive, but after 10k I've supercharged about 38% of the time.

Cost Stats.png

Total cost of charing, $641.18 or $0.064 per mile. Comparing it to the Camry Hybrid I would have purchased or my current Prius and Suburban the Tesla beats them all.

Actual.png

If I could have charged exclusively at home I would have paid only slightly under $0.04 per mile. That would have been great. But alas...

dream at home.png

Probably not much to discuss here, but for anyone looking to take the plunge into an EV, I highly recommend it. Maybe these numbers will give you a picture of what you might expect if you drive a lot.

Attachments

• Actual cost.png
    Actual cost.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 317
  • estimated 10 year and 300k.png
    estimated 10 year and 300k.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 294
Let's agree upon this...trucks are good for work and construction. F150s are barely trucks, and most people that buy them don't use them for work. They use them to show the appearance of being hard working people.

Tesla are made by Elon Musk, therefore nothing is finer. Elon knows best in all things.

And Teslas are more American than the ford f150. And faster. So they must be better...

Where did this thread go? Back to the shop! Just like an f150 lightning 🌩️⚡

L8d

Reactions: nate704
I have found a myriad of reasons to enjoy my new MYLR, but my initial motivation was cost savings. I have zero regrets and love the car. That said, for anyone interested I'll share the costs associated with "fuel" for the first few months and 9,952 miles.

There are certainly other things to consider, maintenance, tires, etc. but I'm just going to focus in on electricity and the actually savings over my ICE cars that I've found.

Charging costs depend on how much you pay at home ($0.134 cents) and how often you use a Supercharger. My supercharger usage is going down, especially after I quickly discovered they are way more expensive, but after 10k I've supercharged about 38% of the time.

View attachment 966338

Total cost of charing, $641.18 or $0.064 per mile. Comparing it to the Camry Hybrid I would have purchased or my current Prius and Suburban the Tesla beats them all.

View attachment 966337

If I could have charged exclusively at home I would have paid only slightly under $0.04 per mile. That would have been great. But alas...

View attachment 966336

Probably not much to discuss here, but for anyone looking to take the plunge into an EV, I highly recommend it. Maybe these numbers will give you a picture of what you might expect if you drive a lot.
There is no way that 44 mpg EPA rated Camry gives you 44 mpg. So your calculation is totally flawed because you are comparing your *real* electricity usage cost with some fictional mpg ratings of other cars. For a 23 Camry Hybrid, it will be more like 35 mpg or less. The problem is there is no accurate way of measuring real usage unless you drive the Camry on the same route, on the same day and right next to the Tesla. And then add up all the money spent on the gas, etc. Since this is obviously impractical, you need to adjust the averages you are using. All EPA ratings are fake whether its Tesla or Toyota.

There is no way that 44 mpg EPA rated Camry gives you 44 mpg. So your calculation is totally flawed because you are comparing your *real* electricity usage cost with some fictional mpg ratings of other cars. For a 23 Camry Hybrid, it will be more like 35 mpg or less. The problem is there is no accurate way of measuring real usage unless you drive the Camry on the same route, on the same day and right next to the Tesla. And then add up all the money spent on the gas, etc. Since this is obviously impractical, you need to adjust the averages you are using. All EPA ratings are fake whether its Tesla or Toyota.
Based on data from 5 vehicles, 284 fuel-ups and 113,360 miles of driving, the 2022 Toyota Camry [hybrid] gets a combined Avg MPG of 43.70 with a 0.51 MPG margin of error. - Fuelly

I'd say that's pretty close to 44 MPG. :)

I can provide several personal examples as well including the 2021 Ridgeline that my Model Y replaced. It has an EPA combined rating of 21 MPG. My average was exactly 21 MPG.

The 2019 MX-5 Miata I own is EPA rated at 29 MPG combined. My average is 33 MPG.

So, what's that you were saying about fictional fuel economy ratings? ;)

I see no Tesla/EVs on any construction and/or job site. Until I see a lot or "construction" and/or "work MYs , MY cannot replace any truck or its role.
Until you see a MY on construction site model Y cant replace any truck?? And when you see one its gonna replace it? Just kidding of course I know what u meant. But I know two dudes that drive theor model Y to the job and love showing off its speed. Guys take turns flying in it.
Dude respectfully a cross over is not designed to replace a truck. Even if you do see one at a construction site. And the peeps buying an electric truck aint gonna put scratches on it.
Until the ICE trucks rust out they'll be on the job as all beat up trucks should.

Reactions: gt2690b

View attachment 966338

View attachment 966337

View attachment 966336

Not quite sure about your location, but there is additional gas tax added to the EV for a lot of states. For example, Tennessee has a $100 a year gas tax now, $200 for 2024 & 2025, then $274 beyond. If you added this (gas) cost to it, it may change your numbers. In my opinion, EV is great for high mileage users & limiting pollution in user area. For lower mileage users, the annual high fixed costs (extra fees, higher insurance, non-driving power consumption etc) may not be the best option to select a EV.

Not quite sure about your location, but there is additional gas tax added to the EV for a lot of states. For example, Tennessee has a $100 a year gas tax now, $200 for 2024 & 2025, then $274 beyond. If you added this (gas) cost to it, it may change your numbers. In my opinion, EV is great for high mileage users & limiting pollution in user area. For lower mileage users, the annual high fixed costs (extra fees, higher insurance, non-driving power consumption etc) may not be the best option to select a EV.
That used to be the case but the rebates for EVs have made the model 3 a pretty good deal and the bolt even better.. probably higher resale too