Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engine noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of Easter Eggs; I would love it if Tesla gave us a wonderfully under-powered and under-refined diesel such as would be found in a Mercedes sedan of the 1980s.

Since Teslas use precisely controlled electric motors it would be possible to simulate all the lurching and vibration, and they way the engine just dies when it is revving below its power band. Using the internal speakers it should be possible to play back suitably noisy diesel rattle and clatter, and if they are really going all out, they could overlay some belching black smoke onto the rear camera view.

They could call it "Not a D Car."

Last edited:
I don't miss it at all, but think there's fantastic potential for an Easter egg in this area.

• Sound of Silence
  • Model T
  • EV whine x 10
  • Sports car trying to match a Tesla and having a stroke
  • Monty Python coconut horse hooves
  • Etc
A few samples for each, mapped to different throttle positions, and voila.

Yes! Some more fun ones would be:
+ Whoopee cushion on hard regen
+ Jetsons flying car

I constantly hear people say they miss the engine noise. It always makes me wonder if owners of the first automobiles missed the horse noises and complained about it at the local saloon.
Or the smell of the horses?

I was impressed with the new iPace commercial from Jaguar. It shows a guy taking Le Mans race track (I don't know which one) at night and no one noticing until he gets out and shuts the door a bunch of birds are scared off and that's the first time anyone really even noticed he was there. Way to own that you are no longer making a car that has a distinctive odor. Oops, I mean sound. Though technically they no longer produce an odor either.

I certainly miss the RPM sound, helped me judge how fast I was going. Of course, I mostly use AutoPilot now, but when the AP goes away for whatever reason (I'm looking at you Winter) I have found myself speeding.

If we are voting, I think the Jetson's HAS to be the Tesla sound when it comes out next year. Will they let us retrofit our old cars with a sound?

-Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: Runebane
Well, here's the deal on engine noise. 95% of cars sound like crap, it's just noise. That includes some true performance cars. There are those cars that do have a nice sound to them though.

For me it's a mixed bag. Sometimes I miss it, and sometimes I appreciate the quiet (well, when my radio isn't blasting).

I actually like the electric whine on acceleration and regenerative braking. Reminds me of riding on electric trains\light rail.
After the latest update my P3D sounds like a jet. I'm loving it.

Or how about the smell... coming out ....of their tail-pipes. Horse emissions are certainly a thing.

I'm sure some people in 50 years will miss inhaling the exhaust from thousands of cars too. To me engine noise mostly sounds like wasted energy spent on this series of captive explosions.

Maybe we need to make the car make a Jetsons noise.

Well, here's the deal on engine noise. 95% of cars sound like crap, it's just noise. That includes some true performance cars. There are those cars that do have a nice sound to them though.

For me it's a mixed bag. Sometimes I miss it, and sometimes I appreciate the quiet (well, when my radio isn't blasting).

After the latest update my P3D sounds like a jet. I'm loving it.

The 2019.8.3 update amps up the (awesome) sound the motors make? I'm almost as excited about that now as I am about the power boost! Seriously though, it seems like Tesla could have pulled a bit of a "BMW" and piped a little "motor sound" into the cabin to make it all more dramatic... Would be best if it were a toggle though, something you can have on when you are in the mood, and off when not. While we are on that topic, and as I sit here with noise canceling headphones on: seems like they could do some active noise canceling to tone down the road and wind noise...that would be a big improvement.

The 2019.8.3 update amps up the (awesome) sound the motors make? I'm almost as excited about that now as I am about the power boost! Seriously though, it seems like Tesla could have pulled a bit of a "BMW" and piped a little "motor sound" into the cabin to make it all more dramatic... Would be best if it were a toggle though, something you can have on when you are in the mood, and off when not. While we are on that topic, and as I sit here with noise canceling headphones on: seems like they could do some active noise canceling to tone down the road and wind noise...that would be a big improvement.
Yes it definitely does. BTW, I got the power increase in 8.2. 8.3 includes the red light sensing but some are going right to 8.3 and getting it all.