Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot after V9 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But at any rate, all I’m saying is, Tesla can still structure their software in a way such that they can collect the data they want over LTE without giving the customer any LTE benefits (whether it’s updates or music streaming or maps).

Tesla would then need to keep paying for that LTE connection which I believe is through AT&T. I doubt they would do that for all the cars that have opted to share data when those vehicles aren't eligible for free lifetime LTE (by paying higher premium initial purchase price before July 1st, 2018) or not extending their 1-year included premium connectivity (LTE).

But maybe I am wrong and its a very well bargained bulk rate and the data collection is considered worth the cost.

Tesla would then need to keep paying for that LTE connection which I believe is through AT&T. I doubt they would do that for all the cars that have opted to share data when those vehicles aren't eligible for free lifetime LTE (by paying higher premium initial purchase price before July 1st, 2018) or not extending their 1-year included premium connectivity (LTE).

But maybe I am wrong and its a very well bargained bulk rate and the data collection is considered worth the cost.

Bulk cellular connections are a ton cheaper than you’d expect, especially since Tesla doesn’t directly get their LTE from AT&T, but they get it through a bulk MVNO that happens to get their service from AT&T. I used to work on a project that used LTE vending machines — it’s pure carrier greed that there’s a large monthly fee attached to each “line” that you try to buy as a consumer.

• Informative
Reactions: cusman
Does anyone have autopilot drift problem in carpool lane? My Model 3 autopilot always drifts uncomfortably too much to the right when the right markings of the carpool lane become dashed line. In any other lanes, it is perfect. Here are two videos I recorded with Tesla dashcam showing the drift when autopilot was engaged. Drift can be seen at about 40 seconds in the videos when the lane line on the right becomes dashed. When the lines are double-double solid yellow, Autopilot performs flawlessly. A human will drive like the one in front of me. Car software version is 2018.46.2.8f8dc1b.

Last edited:
Does anyone have autopilot drift problem in carpool lane? My Model 3 autopilot always drifts uncomfortably too much to the right when the right markings of the carpool lane become dashed line. In any other lanes, it is perfect. Here are two videos I recorded with Tesla dashcam showing the drift when autopilot was engaged. Drift can be seen at about 40 seconds in the videos when the lane line on the right becomes dashed. When the lines are double-double solid yellow, Autopilot performs flawlessly. A human will drive like the one in front of me. Car software version is 2018.46.2.8f8dc1b.

Today I tried Navigation on Autopilot in the same lane. There was no drift at all and the ride was very smooth. the only problem is when I didn't take its suggestions to change lanes, it slowed down a lot, and I had to take over to speed up to keep up with the traffic.

Conclusions are Autopilot without Nav drifts, and with Nav it drops your speed if you don't take its lane change suggestions.