Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot features now FSD-only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you don't think there should be a post purchase penalty at all? I think 3.5k or 4k would be reasonable.
Correction. $3K -> $4K is the only fair price range for it. :)

I also had to fix it because in another thread I said the $3k to $4K range.

I could at least try to be consistent.

Plus $500 to $1K for an "Install charge" is perfectly reasonable.

I wonder if they'll let me keep the HW2.5 computer? what are they going to do with them?

Reactions: MP3Mike
What do we think the odds are that they’ll let existing owners buy AP for $3k, since we didn’t have the option at purchase? I’d be willing to pay that for TACC.

I would expect that they might do a AP trial and offer it for $3,500 if you purchase before the end. (They pretty much always apply a $500 penalty for buying after the fact.)

EAP did not reduce to $3000. It’s the vanilla AP that’s 3k. EAP is gone (grandfathered).
I have a feeling that eventually vanilla AP will end up being included into the basic configuration since most cars today have lane assist standard and they will have to compete with that. The advanced features of EAP will be rolled into FSD and EAP will go away entirely leaving just one premium self driving package to buy. It's too complicated as is today.

Does the $3k for FSD offer (for those who previously purchased only EAP) include the HW3 upgrade?

I asked the same question earlier and never got a response because I don’t think anyone really knows. Previously FSD was to include any necessary hardware upgrades to make it work. But what if FSD came out and worked fine on the existing hardware? I don’t think it was ever clear what Tesla was promising with the FSD option, and it appears it has not become any clearer with today’s price updates.

So I waited and with the latest price drop I am now ready to take the plunge. Should I buy the AP for $3000 or pass?
Once you've used active cruise control you'll realize how bad regular CC really was and you will never want to go back (no longer have to constantly break/resume or adjust speed for drivers who get in front of you and are slightly off your speed); it takes the burden off the driver in stop & go traffic too. As for autosteer - it makes driving on highways/roadtrips much less stressful esp. when coupled with TACC...takes a bit of feel to learn how to anchor your arm on either arm rest (door or center console) in order to keep "light pressure" on the steering wheel without even thinking about it -- but once you get the knack of it, it's really awesome and a huge differentiator for Tesla owners...

Once you've used active cruise control you'll realize how bad regular CC really was and you will never want to go back (no longer have to constantly break/resume or adjust speed for drivers who get in front of you and are slightly off your speed); it takes the burden off the driver in stop & go traffic too. As for autosteer - it makes driving on highways/roadtrips much less stressful esp. when coupled with TACC...takes a bit of feel to learn how to anchor your arm on either arm rest (door or center console) in order to keep "light pressure" on the steering wheel without even thinking about it -- but once you get the knack of it, it's really awesome and a huge differentiator for Tesla owners...

Are you talking about cruise control from the previous decade? Take a look at a Toyota Corolla. Even on the cheapest model standard features include pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, lane departure alert with steering assist, and dynamic radar cruise control. And all of these features are standard on an $18,700 MSRP car. This is why I think it’s nonsense for Tesla to charge $3K for these features. They have essentially stripped out a very basic feature offered in virtually all modern cars for little to no money and are charging $3K for it to make up for the $35K base price they really would prefer not to sell the car for.

Does the $3k for FSD offer (for those who previously purchased only EAP) include the HW3 upgrade?

Yes it does

I asked the same question earlier and never got a response because I don’t think anyone really knows. Previously FSD was to include any necessary hardware upgrades to make it work. But what if FSD came out and worked fine on the existing hardware? I don’t think it was ever clear what Tesla was promising with the FSD option, and it appears it has not become any clearer with today’s price updates.

FSD (the new coming soon stuff, and anything else significantly more advanced that "now old" EAP) requires HW3.

It's why there is a HW3 in the first place.

Are you talking about cruise control from the previous decade? Take a look at a Toyota Corolla. Even on the cheapest model standard features include pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, lane departure alert with steering assist, and dynamic radar cruise control. And all of these features are standard on an $18,700 MSRP car.

And work like crap compared to Tesla.

I had a loaner lexus last year and it followed too far (even at nearest follow) so was constantly being cut off... and below 30 mph it simply turns off.

And it didn't auto steer at all. It'll beep at you if you're drifting out of a lane but won't do crap to correct that.

• Disagree
Reactions: jjrandorin and OCR1