Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So waiting for all the hate mail....

If they cant do advanced summon...full self driving is a pipe dream. I love my EAP, it solves 90% of all my driving...but the last 10% that fsd is supposed to address is a really hard nut to crack. You basically have to be able to account for all real world use cases:

1. Pedestrians jumping into traffic
2. Cars swerving into your lane and having to find exit routes in 100-500 milliseconds
3. trucks dropping items from their beds
4. one way streets becoming 2 way
5. lanes ending + merging
6. lane dividing paint being faint or non existent
7. Bad weather ..poor visibility

these are just some of the use cases....now take the 6 above and combine them...there could be cases where you have faint lane lines and pedistratians jumping onto the city street. Now try to imagine how complex this could get really fast.

I think they will deliver something better than EAP (90% functionality)...but how close to 99.9% remains to be seen.

Reactions: GeoX750
Musk tells more lies about autopilot than Trump does about his election.
image.png

I imagine it goes something like this:

Elon: "when will smart summon be ready?"

Team: "there are still major hurdles blocking release, here's a summary"

Elon: "yesterday I landed a spaceship on its butt on a moving ocean barge. You can't figure out a parking lot?"

Team: "i guess if we really try hard, it should be ready in couple weeks"

Elon: "*tweets* ok, i told everyone three weeks. Back to work!"

I imagine it goes something like this:

Elon: "when will smart summon be ready?"

Team: "there are still major hurdles blocking release, here's a summary"

Elon: "yesterday I landed a spaceship on its butt on a moving ocean barge. You can't figure out a parking lot?"

Team: "i guess if we really try hard, it should be ready in couple weeks"

Elon: "*tweets* ok, i told everyone three weeks. Back to work!"

Putting aside the humorous slant, I think you are pretty close to reality. I imagine conversations between Elon and the dev team these past months probably go something like this:

Elon: when will Advanced Summon be ready?

Team: We've made some progress. As you can see it works pretty well but the car moves very slowly. We still have some issues to figure out.

Elon: So 6 weeks?

Team: That's super optimistic but maybe.

Elon tweets October 31st, 2018: Tesla advanced Summon ready in ~6 weeks! Just an over-the-air software upgrade, so will work on all cars made in past 2 years (Autopilot hardware V2+).

April 2019

Elon: You guys have been working on it for awhile. It's well over 6 weeks. So is it ready now?

Team: We've solved some of the issues. It's still slow but probably good enough for the public if you want to release it now.

Elon: "Good work. Let's release it next week then!"

Elon *tweets* April 6th, 2019: Tesla Enhanced Summon coming out in US next week for anyone with Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving option

Team: "Sir, Enhanced Summon is still pretty slow and the early access videos that have leaked are not sitting well with Tesla owners. They are making fun of Enhanced Summon on TMC."

Elon: "That's unacceptable. Don't release it. Keep working on it some more!"

Elon: *tweets* April 13th, 2019: Not good enough yet. Pushing release by a few weeks. Will be amazing.

Team: "Sir. We are making progress."

Elon tweets May 23rd, 2019: Smart Summon coming soon!

Team: "Sir. I think we are ready to have the Early Access folks test our latest build."

Elon tweets May 31st, 2019: Releasing to Early Access Program Tesla owners next week

Team: "Sir. These darn curbs are still tripping up Enhanced Summon."

Elon: "Ok. Work on it some more. Let's send our next build to Early Access again."

Elon tweets June 24th, 2019: Third revision of Enhanced Summon hopefully going to Tesla owners with early access later this week

@Maitri982 @EVNow

I’m all for agreeing to disagree, but I do think you are naive if you don’t consider that marketing is likely a major motivation behind Elon’s tweets and that’s what I tried to get across. Yes, I do find it likely Elon’s overly optimistic timelines have a marketing motivation behind them.

I guess your response is understandable for people who see Tesla as a stock first and a car maker only second and I try not to take it as an ad hominem. For me Tesla is only a car maker and the only thing I’ve invested in them is buying a car from them. As for shorting the only thing I’ve ever shorted in my life are my clumsy electronics projects.

I am sure marketing does play some role in Musk's tweets and promises. But without knowing Musk's personal motivations or thoughts, it is hard to say how big a role marketing plays or whether other factors also play a role. Certainly, there may other factors that also influence Musk that are not related to marketing.

I have noticed that folks who are naturally cynical about Musk, tend to think that marketing plays a big role. They may even think that marketing is the sole reason behind the tweets and promises. But folks who are more optimistic and less cynical tend to assign other reasons for the tweets and promises.

Putting aside the humorous slant, I think you are pretty close to reality. I imagine conversations between Elon and the dev team these past months probably go something like this:

Elon: when will Advanced Summon be ready?

Team: We've made some progress. As you can see it works pretty well but the car moves very slowly. We still have some issues to figure out.

Elon: So 6 weeks?

Team: That's super optimistic but maybe.

Elon tweets October 31st, 2018: Tesla advanced Summon ready in ~6 weeks! Just an over-the-air software upgrade, so will work on all cars made in past 2 years (Autopilot hardware V2+).

April 2019

Elon: You guys have been working on it for awhile. It's well over 6 weeks. So is it ready now?

Team: We've solved some of the issues. It's still slow but probably good enough for the public if you want to release it now.

Elon: "Good work. Let's release it next week then!"

Elon *tweets* April 6th, 2019: Tesla Enhanced Summon coming out in US next week for anyone with Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving option

Team: "Sir, Enhanced Summon is still pretty slow and the early access videos that have leaked are not sitting well with Tesla owners. They are making fun of Enhanced Summon on TMC."

Elon: "That's unacceptable. Don't release it. Keep working on it some more!"

Elon: *tweets* April 13th, 2019: Not good enough yet. Pushing release by a few weeks. Will be amazing.

Team: "Sir. We are making progress."

Elon tweets May 23rd, 2019: Smart Summon coming soon!

Team: "Sir. I think we are ready to have the Early Access folks test our latest build."

Elon tweets May 31st, 2019: Releasing to Early Access Program Tesla owners next week

Team: "Sir. These darn curbs are still tripping up Enhanced Summon."

Elon: "Ok. Work on it some more. Let's send our next build to Early Access again."

Elon tweets June 24th, 2019: Third revision of Enhanced Summon hopefully going to Tesla owners with early access later this week

I think someone has been gaslighted.....at least 33 times..... :D