Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it's a good question what state Tesla is willing to release FSD in. It doesn't need to be un-monitored yet because no state would allow that immediately. But if it's in a buggy alpha state when released to the public, that could hurt Tesla's chances of getting the right regulations in place.
There are already plenty of states with regulations regarding the testing of autonomous vehicles. Recently in California Waymo got an exemption to allow them to have independent contractors be test drivers so it does seem conceivable that Tesla could get an exemption to allow customers be test drivers. I assume that they would still have to have training and background checks. I think other states have fewer restrictions, that's why many companies test in Arizona.

One of my fears is once FSD gets common the idiots out there looking for a Darwin Award will start deliberately standing in the way of an oncoming FSD car "for fun" so they can get on YouTube .. and then jump up and down blaming Tesla when someone finally gets injured doing it. And of course then the lawyers get involved and we all know where THAT leads...

I guess it's a good question what state Tesla is willing to release FSD in. It doesn't need to be un-monitored yet because no state would allow that immediately. But if it's in a buggy alpha state when released to the public, that could hurt Tesla's chances of getting the right regulations in place.

Which is why I'm more than happy to wait longer for FSD (well, I'd love FSD tomorrow, of course, but I'm realistic). It would be *very* bad if Tesla release this prematurely, even with "beta" slapped all over it.

Reactions: humbaba
One of my fears is once FSD gets common the idiots out there looking for a Darwin Award will start deliberately standing in the way of an oncoming FSD car "for fun" so they can get on YouTube .. and then jump up and down blaming Tesla when someone finally gets injured doing it. And of course then the lawyers get involved and we all know where THAT leads...
It happens. Watch at 31:28 (TMC strips times, grrr). Definitely a good idea to have dash cams!

Yep.....nag...Nag....NAg....NAG!!!!! Thanks idiots.

I just purchased a Model 3 Performance, which is supposed to arrive on Friday. When I made the order, it said right on Tesla's page that I could summon the car out of a parking spot. Even says "Really." I only read the most recent pages of this post, so forgive me if this has been covered, but are you saying this is a lie and my car will not have this feature? I just came out of an AP1 Model S and the enhanced summon and coming fsd features were the main reason I bought this car! Kindly advise.

I just purchased a Model 3 Performance, which is supposed to arrive on Friday. When I made the order, it said right on Tesla's page that I could summon the car out of a parking spot. Even says "Really." I only read the most recent pages of this post, so forgive me if this has been covered, but are you saying this is a lie and my car will not have this feature?

Right now, it is a lie because the feature is not available yet. You will not get the feature on your car at delivery. However, the feature is set to be released next month (August). So you will get the feature soon afterwards. Enhanced Summon was supposed to come out a couple months ago, hence why it is on the website. Tesla just never bothered removing the promise when the feature got delayed in testing. But you will get the feature, just after delivery instead of at delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
But if they said this was going to be available a year ago (or whenever that was), and now they are outright saying it comes on your new car (and it doesn't), why the heck should anyone believe it is coming in August?

No, it was not a year ago. It's only been about 3 months. The website updated in Feb/March of this year with the feature promise and about the same time, Elon tweeted that "smart summon (AKA enhanced summon) was "coming soon". The feature has been in testing for the past 3 months. Elon recently tweeted that the feature would be released late August as part of the upcoming V10 release, pending early access approval. Yes, it might be delayed again. There is no absolute guarantee that it will come out in August. But regardless, you will get the feature at some point. It's just been delayed, not cancelled. You will still get the feature you paid for. You previously owned a Model S so you know how Tesla's over the air software updates work. Tesla will release these features over the air. Just wait.

I get that. But my beef is you just can't willy nilly say you have things that you don't. Especially right on the page where you order the car! I'm not saying I only ordered this car because of that. But I am saying it is definitely one of the pieces of the equation which factored into my decision. For example, I most likely would have kept my P85D longer if I knew these extra features that come with having new hardware do not exist. My MS did the exact same thing any new tesla does. I thought I was getting more and I am not. If I told people they were getting something, took their money, then said "oh wait I lied, but you will get it at some point," I would be sued and/or arrested for fraud. Not trying to sound like Mr. Angry bastard, but I'm just expressing my feelings about it. The tweets were one thing (still not cool), but putting it on the order for the car is quite another level.

I get that. But my beef is you just can't willy nilly say you have things that you don't. Especially right on the page where you order the car! I'm not saying I only ordered this car because of that. But I am saying it is definitely one of the pieces of the equation which factored into my decision. For example, I most likely would have kept my P85D longer if I knew these extra features that come with having new hardware do not exist. My MS did the exact same thing any new tesla does. I thought I was getting more and I am not. If I told people they were getting something, took their money, then said "oh wait I lied, but you will get it at some point," I would be sued and/or arrested for fraud. Not trying to sound like Mr. Angry bastard, but I'm just expressing my feelings about it. The tweets were one thing (still not cool), but putting it on the order for the car is quite another level.

I totally agree it was a mistake to put the feature on the website before it was released. Whoever was in charge of the website screwed up. You are not the first person to complain about the wording on the website. it is misleading and that is not cool. So yes, you are right to complain about the website. But be happy about the feature that you are getting. You are still getting the feature and that's what really matters. Is it really a big deal if you get the feature a month late? Not really.

I agree. But, a. IF (big if) it really does come a month late, and b. the fact that it was there affected my timing on my sale/purchase decision. That's the issue for me. Regardless, consider this horse beaten and my soap box hung up wet. But if anyone get any further info, it would be greatly appreciated.