Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that's right, Tesla had a video of the 3D model the FSD computers created during a six-second clip of a drive down a busy street.
Except that the only vehicles in the video were the ones that the car could see. As cars went around the corner, out of sight, they dropped out of consideration. In that kind of system, if a vehicle somehow drops out of sight, goes behind a truck for example, the concern is that it's no longer part what the car is considering. Out of sight out of mind.

I empathize. I am certainly bummed out that I have to wait longer for V10.

But we should remember that Elon never promised V10 by the end of August. He tweeted "Depends on how release to owners with early access goes, but hopefully wide release by end of August".

Ah, the mythical "early access program", the one that Elon promised all of us who'd paid for FSD years ago (late 2016 in my case) would be invited to participate in. We all clicked "Advanced" in our software update panels and waited...

Does anyone know of any single person who's been enrolled in "early access"? Anyone at all? You'd think there'd be at least one person here...

Unless, of course, the whole thing's BS.

But you are posting as if you want the stock to go down so you are spreading FUD. If you want to talk about Musk - there is a thread about him. Use that. Lets stick to talking about FSD/AP in this subforum. Lets stick to facts (Tesla has repeatedly missed self-imposed deadlines) and keep unfounded speculation and conspiracy theories (Musk tweeted about Enh Summon last October because he wanted to sell cars) out of here.

Elon Musk

I'm here because I'm concerned about climate change (you can look at 10+ years of my postings here, on MyNissanLeaf.com and on Twitter). And I've been long ob TSLA - as my sig shows - for years.

I am posting the way I am because I have grown critical of Tesla and Elon through experience. I have no illusions that anything I say on a niche automotive forum affects anything anywhere except perhaps helps our conversation along a bit in learning and being informed about the Tesla car ownership experience, which is the point.

When talking Tesla’s autonomous efforts, this critique of the past seems relevant in assessing the status and the future.

But, where is Enhanced Summon ?!?!?!?

[disclaimer: I don’t own Tesla stock or a competitor’s stock and don’t give a sugar about the stock.]

I think reality is: It exists but Tesla is having a harder than expected time in making it work well. Elon seems to be pumping it and the prices to drive sales of FSD packages.

So that seems to be the status of that.

Reactions: jebinc
Except that the only vehicles in the video were the ones that the car could see. As cars went around the corner, out of sight, they dropped out of consideration. In that kind of system, if a vehicle somehow drops out of sight, goes behind a truck for example, the concern is that it's no longer part what the car is considering. Out of sight out of mind.

That was just a graphical representation of the scene in real-time. Computers are particularly adept at displaying the available data in multiple "layers" depending upon what data is most useful at the moment. It's absolutely trivial for a computer to remember things from moment to moment. We also know that Tesla's system tags objects with their identities and also knows their speeds. So it would also be completely trivial to have stationary objects persist after they go out of the field of view of the camera. This would be particularly useful in parking lots where the car might be backing up.

Your contention that the system is as simple as can be, like Simple Simon, does not square with what we know about how it works, common sense, logical deduction and the strengths of the kind of computers used for these purposes. Are you being a naysayer to increase peoples doubts that Tesla has a big lead in terms of the coming disruption that is the full self-driving revolution? I think so.

I think reality is: It exists but Tesla is having a harder than expected time in making it work well. Elon seems to be pumping it and the prices to drive sales of FSD packages.

Hey, if I owned a company that had the kind of amazing technology that Tesla has, and it was getting better every week, I would be negligent if I were not letting potential customers know what was in the pipeline. I would want to "prime the pump" and get the market ready for these breakthrough technologies, not spring them on an unsuspecting public that hadn't even considered the possibilities my company's development work had made possible.

It would be irresponsible to shareholders, the developers of the technologies and the public to neglect to put the word out there. But you make it sound like this is a bad or untoward thing.

Last edited:
I would be negligent if I were not letting potential customers know what was in the pipeline. It would be irresponsible to shareholders and the developers of the technologies to neglect to put the word out there.

Summon. Coming soon since 2016!

From 39 feet to 3,000 miles in 2 years: Elon Musk says Tesla will soon let you summon your car from across the country - Electrek

Tesla’s been talking about this fantastic tech for many years and all we get is dancing cars and L2 lane changes with old school nav in 2019?!?

Where is all that fancy tech they demo’d during the autonomy pitch?!?

My car has HW3 (the super awesome NN computer) and is not any better than a MobilEye AP1 Tesla.

Summon. Coming soon since 2016!

From 39 feet to 3,000 miles in 2 years: Elon Musk says Tesla will soon let you summon your car from across the country - Electrek

Tesla’s been talking about this fantastic tech for many years and all we get is dancing cars and L2 lane changes with old school nav in 2019?!?

Where is all that fancy tech they demo’d during the autonomy pitch?!?

Why are you soo bitter about Tesla's amazing technologies. No one does it better and the improvements I've seen just in the 18 months since my wife bought her first Tesla are nothing short of astounding. Don't mislead, Tesla did release summon as promised after we took delivery and Advanced Summon is coming this fall. You seem awfully impatient - reminds me of a 2nd grader who thinks everything good should happen RIGHT NOW!

My car has HW3 (the super awesome NN computer) and is not any better than a MobilEye AP1 Tesla.

Tesla has not released the first software that can take advantage of the V3 NN computer yet. When they do, they will upgrade the entire existing Model 3 fleet that have V2.5 NN computers. So, yeah, it makes complete sense that they don't want to release development software until it's significantly more robust than V2.5. I think Musk even said the V3 computers are slightly worse than V2.5 until they make the big switch.

Maybe you have a bunch of contributions I don't know about but Tesla and company is actually hard at work driving new technologies to market while the peanut gallery is getting drunk and hurling peanut shells their way. But they just keep their noses to the grindstone and continue to advance while ignoring the kind of person that has the nerve to criticise those leading the way into the future. Maybe you just don't like change that comes this fast. Maybe you are too inexperienced to know what fast change looks like.

Why are you soo bitter about Tesla's amazing technologies. No one does it better and the improvements I've seen just in the 18 months since my wife bought her first Tesla are nothing short of astounding. Don't mislead, Tesla did release summon as promised after we took delivery and Advanced Summon is coming this fall. You seem awfully impatient - reminds me of a 2nd grader who thinks everything good should happen RIGHT NOW!

Tesla has not released the first software that can take advantage of the V3 NN computer yet. When they do, they will upgrade the entire existing Model 3 fleet that have V2.5 NN computers. So, yeah, it makes complete sense that they don't want to release development software until it's significantly more robust than V2.5. I think Musk even said the V3 computers are slightly worse than V2.5 until they make the big switch.

Maybe you have a bunch of contributions I don't know about but Tesla and company is actually hard at work driving new technologies to market while the peanut gallery is getting drunk and hurling peanut shells their way. But they just keep their noses to the grindstone and continue to advance while ignoring the kind of person that has the nerve to criticise those leading the way into the future. Maybe you just don't like change that comes this fast. Maybe you are too inexperienced to know what fast change looks like.

Just jumping in here to offer a thought. Like myself, I believe “the critics” here (aka and called by some here as trolls, shorts, 2nd graders, malcontents, FUD spreaders, etc) have great respect for all of the hardworking folks at Tesla dedicating their time to developing all of this cool tech for us. I feel the gripe is more with Elon’s antics (which hurts the hard working team) and perhaps Tesla’s marketing head - who allows FSD misrepresentations to remain on the ordering site even today - “Really”. Again, just a thought to consider...

Last edited:
I feel the gripe is more with Elon’s antics (which hurts the hard working team) and perhaps Tesla’s marketing head - who allows FSD misrepresentations to remain on the ordering site even today - “Really”.

What don't you understand about the term "forward-looking statement"?

Musk cannot look into his crystal ball and see all the challenges they might run into down the line. And to be clear, he never promised it would be ready at any particular time, except when it's ready. That didn't stop people from wondering when he thought that might be and he didn't refuse to make an educated guess. Now his character is being assassinated for being too optimistic.

Guess what, there isn't a company out there that isn't wildly behind their projections of when certain autonomous driving milestones would be met. They have ALL found this more difficult and more expensive than their public guidance. So I can't understand why so much hate is thrown Musk's way and not towards the other entrants in this market who made wildly optimistic forward-looking statements (in hindsight). But by the admissions of most of the most astute experts in this field, Musk and company are far ahead of the other players. And I think what they have released so far illustrates that (regardless of the big pile of peanut shells lobbed their way by the peanut gallery).

Musk cannot look into his crystal ball and see all the challenges they might run into down the line. And to be clear, he never promised it would be ready at any particular time, except when it's ready. That didn't stop people from wondering when he thought that might be and he didn't refuse to make an educated guess. Now his character is being assassinated for being too optimistic.

Guess what, there isn't a company out there that isn't wildly behind their projections of when certain autonomous driving milestones would be met. They have ALL found this more difficult and more expensive than their public guidance. So I can't understand why so much hate is thrown Musk's way and not towards the other entrants in this market who made wildly optimistic forward-looking statements (in hindsight). But by the admissions of most of the most astute experts in this field, Musk and company are far ahead of the other players. And I think what they have released so far illustrates that (regardless of the big pile of peanut shells lobbed their way by the peanut gallery).
What don’t you understand about repeated misrepresentation? Musk knows how tough tech is as it has been his life from the beginning (e.g., PayPal), yet he continually puts out statements/projections, even very near term ones, that end up not even being close to accurate. So, either he doesn’t have a handle on the company’s development status, or he has nefarious reasons for continually doing what he does. In all cases, he isn’t helping his team be successful, or feeling valued by constantly making them look like they can’t deliver on his public projections - either on time or as advertised. I would guess they, the investors, and many here would rather see him say less when it comes to specifics/timelines.

Well then he should wait until it’s ready and not start selling it many years before it’s ready. Amazing how that simple concept escapes people like you.
Also you don’t understand the word “hate”.

(2016 is three years ago).

Coincidentally I just had Planters. Already shelled, though.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc