Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error message on screen - should I be worried

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I have a message appear on the screen when I got into my 2021 M3 SR+.

“DC Fast Charging unavailable - OK to AC charge
Service required to restore DC Fast Charging”

The message disappeared just before I could take a picture, but it is there in the Alerts log.
Should I be worried? And/or book an appointment?

IMG_0170.jpeg

There have been threads on similar subjects before not sure what the outcome was:

It could just be a one off glitch, but that second thread seems to suggest a known harware issue. I don't know how often you DC charge but unless you want to take the risk of rocking up at a supercharger sometime mid journey and finding you cannot charge, personally, I would do what it says and raise a request.

Last night I have a message appear on the screen when I got into my 2021 M3 SR+.

“DC Fast Charging unavailable - OK to AC charge
Service required to restore DC Fast Charging”

The message disappeared just before I could take a picture, but it is there in the Alerts log.
Should I be worried? And/or book an appointment?

View attachment 1025739
If it's still under the warranty, I would book it up so they can proactively see if there's a problem that needs to be fixed.

If the warranty has expired, and the DC Fast charging has resumed working again, I would wait until I can't DC Fast Charging any more.

There have been threads on similar subjects before not sure what the outcome was:
[r

It could just be a one off glitch, but that second thread seems to suggest a known harware issue. I don't know how often you DC charge but unless you want to take the risk of rocking up at a supercharger sometime mid journey and finding you cannot charge, personally, I would do what it says and raise a request.

If it's still under the warranty, I would book it up so they can proactively see if there's a problem that needs to be fixed.

If the warranty has expired, and the DC Fast charging has resumed working again, I would wait until I can't DC Fast Charging any more.

Thanks for the replies, I only do trips that require supercharging a couple of times a year. It is still under warranty so I have booked in a service request. The only issue I have with this is that I have to pay around £100 for a ferry to get to a Service Centre and I don’t know when they will finish so cannot book return journey!

I only do trips that require supercharging a couple of times a year.
This can reoccur at one of those really unfortunate times. It happened to me trust me - I was out there in France on a road trip and I ignored the previous warnings and I was stuck for couple of hours unable to charge or unable to contact Tesla SCs in France.

The only issue I have with this is that I have to pay around £100 for a ferry to get to a Service Centre and I don’t know when they will finish so cannot book return journey!
This is a known issue in cars that came in 2020-2021. They have to change some harness (under warranty and the general advice is precondition batteries before SCs) and it is usually wait in job - they say up to 4hrs but the job can be finished in an hour. You can book the return journey on the same day.

must be a software glitch as I just got same message for the first time.
This is a known hardware issue that can be fixed by changing the harness and putting a new one. This error message clears up after few hours but it will reappear again when you really need to Super charge and you won’t be able to charge. It is an hour job at the service centre under warranty.

Reactions: init6 and Jason71
This is a known hardware issue that can be fixed by changing the harness and putting a new one. This error message clears up after few hours but it will reappear again when you really need to Super charge and you won’t be able to charge. It is an hour job at the service centre under warranty.
Yep, my 2021 car had this problem last year and thats what they did.

Thanks for that, I'll get it booked in. Glad it's happened now as I only have 3k miles of warranty left which I do in a month :)

Yes, I contacted Tesla today and they booked it in for the harness to be changed.

I put in a service request since the car won't accept a change of 12V battery type, Tesla added replacement of the front harness (water ingress) and the one in the boot (camera, I believe there was a recall on this). No cost information yet since I am out of warranty.

Just got back from the Southampton service centre, they were very friendly and helpful.
This is what they did:

“Confirmed presence of alert. Found that AC cable was old type
cable without water seal, evidence of water damage through
the CP. Replaced the harness with the new type with water seat
and the safety cap. Tested and can confirm that DC charging is
now available
Correction: AC Cable - Charge Port to HV Battery (3-
Phase) (Remove & Replace) - Remove and
Replace”

Just got back from the Southampton service centre, they were very friendly and helpful.
This is what they did:

“Confirmed presence of alert. Found that AC cable was old type
cable without water seal, evidence of water damage through
the CP. Replaced the harness with the new type with water seat
and the safety cap. Tested and can confirm that DC charging is
now available
Correction: AC Cable - Charge Port to HV Battery (3-
Phase) (Remove & Replace) - Remove and
Replace”
Electrical cable without a water seal. hmm.
Why is this not an active recall?
BTW that was rhetorical. I know the answer.