Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error message: Steering assist may be reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model Y 1 week ago. It had a warning "steering assist may be reduced" when I got it but I didn't realize that until I left the dealership. Steering felt fine, I thought "reduced" was maybe a judgement call? Anyway, today I drove to work and now I can't drive back. The wheel literally won't turn. The Emergency Roadside line hold is over 30 minutes. Thought I'd vent here while waiting. I already did the soft and hard reset and the wheel is immobile. Terrified about driving it and having this start on the highway - my ride home is 40 miles one way. BTW it's not snowing, it's 70 degrees and not even raining where I am.

Vehicle ran an update overnight last night. This morning, car has no power steering and is not drivable. Tow truck took this POS to service. This is my 2nd tesla, I should have known better than to buy another. Magically, the steering started working again after 2 hours. Do I trust it to drive it, no f'ing way. I could have been killed. Let me guess what service is going to say....we're unable to diagnose and it seems to work now. Followed by a shoulder shrug and a sheepish slink in their service chair.

Vehicle ran an update overnight last night. This morning, car has no power steering and is not drivable. Tow truck took this POS to service. This is my 2nd tesla, I should have known better than to buy another. Magically, the steering started working again after 2 hours. Do I trust it to drive it, no f'ing way. I could have been killed. Let me guess what service is going to say....we're unable to diagnose and it seems to work now. Followed by a shoulder shrug and a sheepish slink in their service chair.
A very similar thing happened to us recently with our model X, only my wife was driving at the time and barely managed to safely bring the vehicle to a stop. They couldn’t replicate the problem at the service center, and said it may be due to a software bug caused by a map location. Needless to say, not very reassuring. Not sure how we are going to proceed. I am filing a report with NHTSA.

The vehicle is still driveable, without power steering assist, the wheel will actually become easier to move at higher speed, the problem is maneuvering at low speed is difficult. Not enough details here to speculate further, but the Land Rover power steering rack Tesla uses has a pretty poor track record, IMO.

The vehicle is still driveable, without power steering assist, the wheel will actually become easier to move at higher speed, the problem is maneuvering at low speed is difficult. Not enough details here to speculate further, but the Land Rover power steering rack Tesla uses has a pretty poor track record, IMO.
Um nope, you could crank on the wheel all you wanted and could get it to barely move left or right. Tesla says: "There are two small ECUs in the steering rack, those two weren't able to communicate with each other but could communicate with everything else. We are going to be replacing the steering rack which will resolve the issue." This is a 10-day fix apparently.

This has happened to me twice in the past two months. My car is in the shop now. They are telling me they have to replace the Controller and steering rack went out. And they will charge over $3000 to fix. Web search on Tesla steering problems. You’ll see it’s a big issue. The NHSTA is investigating. Report your issue to them. FYI. I have a M3 2019 with only 7093 miles on the car.