Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimated Battery Degradation - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car is a year old in 2 weeks. I’m not doing many miles. Charge up to 80% maybe once a week. Never charged to 100%. Used supercharger 4 times in a year. I’m not getting worked up about it.

appreciate it’s cold:

The percentage of battery that is temporarily restricted due to the cold temperature will not show in your total of available miles. Also your BMS is highly likely to be out of whack due to pattern of charging so not reporting accurately.

As suggested I will be using this thread to report how my battery performs. For the guys who haven't read the thread I raised; after a recent SC visit were some electrical parts were replaced, this is my report battery-wise from teslafi:

View attachment 611359

Looks like a reset on the BMS was also performed; I cant verify this though. I have also checked the range in car display last Sunday when I charged to 100% and it did display as 310. Unfortunately it completely escaped me to take a photo of it; you have to take my word for it. My plan is to charge the car as per norm (daily charge at 90%) and around January do another 100% and see what i get.

Any update on how the uptick is lasting? Or was it just a temporary recovery of estimated range?

Reactions: hcdavis3
Currently sitting at 31k miles with battery reporting 300 miles top range from 309 initially. I am on phone so I am having difficulties attaching teslafi report. Hopefully tomorrow. It did drop but still quite good considering the average report at my mileage.
What are you using to determine the 300 mile range? The car's predicted range at 100%?, TeslaFi?, or something else?

Here's my latest TeslaFi graph.

1624525287085.png

Thanks for that - looks pretty similar to mine, so some re-assurance. :)
I show around 288 miles on a M3P from Aug 2019. It's done around 9k miles and I tend to charge to 80% other than occasional longer trips. The vast majority of charging has been done at home, very little at superchargers. Pretty sure it's a BMS issues and to be honest, it doesn't really worry me. I may try some low/high charge cycles to see what happens but not a priority just at the moment. I'm more concerned about slightly crap looking brake discs!

For what it is worth as a spot test, after 1000 miles a 90 mile trip used 20kw/h.
Assuming the battery has a realistic capacity of 75kw/h (but who knows for a LR, MiC) that means the car has a range of 337.5 miles... somewhat better than I expected.

Charging has all be done at home on a 7kw charger, setting the max level to 85%,

For what it is worth as a spot test, after 1000 miles a 90 mile trip used 20kw/h.
Assuming the battery has a realistic capacity of 75kw/h (but who knows for a LR, MiC) that means the car has a range of 337.5 miles... somewhat better than I expected.

Charging has all be done at home on a 7kw charger, setting the max level to 85%,

I wouldn't rely on this for range. It is summer so the car would be using far less kw's compared during winter for the same distance. Temperature has massive impact on the range. During my daily commute at the moment I am averaging 220-245 w/mile. During winter 280-300 w/mile.

I wouldn't worry that much. You are really low on miles.
Here's mine, for a M3P-. Only 280 miles, in the bottom 3%. What worries me is the rate of degradation. The P- has Aero's as standard and no rear spoiler so should be maybe 3-4% better than a full fat M3P. View attachment 677137
Are you doing really short commute? Also what is your charging regime? Short distances and charging at low levels and not every day can really throw the BMS out.

I wouldn't worry that much. You are really low on miles.

Are you doing really short commute? Also what is your charging regime? Short distances and charging at low levels and not every day can really throw the BMS out.
In these Covid times I guess most of my trips are under 15 miles with a few at 150 or more. I normally let it discharge to 50% and charge to 85. On long trips I generally charge to 100 and discharge to 20 or less.

Last edited:
If you drive short distances most of the time, I would recommend to lower your charging targets. Charge to 60% when you don't need more.

I've been doing that for over a year now, have driven over 20,000 miles, and have about 5% degradation, measured by the range the car displays at full battery and comparing this to averages of many other cars of the same type.

May be a daft question but does the car use the predicted mileage when it warns about needing to charge, shuts down etc, or the actual physical state of the battery?

I run with mileage displayed and have a slightly lower than average mileage at full charge shown compared to similar aged cars (see my post above). This is likely a BMS calibration issue, at least I hope so.

Is percentage display decoupled from the BMS, so would I get a few more miles of actual range if I switched to that rather than mileage?

Again, sorry if it's a daft question but I have no clue how the car actually evaluates true range.

Thanks for enlightenment!