Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimated Delivery: 8-12 Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is that even possible? I ordered the same config on 3/7 and I'm still seeing just an order number on line and I'm in California...

Looks like Tesla is shipping out these first Y's out of state. Most of the people getting VINs are out of CA. Was one post shutdown spotted in Sacramento Friday.

Its well known that second third of the quarter (meaning Feb, May, Aug, Nov) are cars for East Coast. (first third being for EU, and last third being for West Coast). So its not surprising that he is getting his (being not on the West Coast), even though you have the same build (because you are on the West Coast). Yours will be built next month (June).

I am also West Coast, so I am hoping for June; however I got black/black (hate the black plastic bottom on all other colors, at least on black it blends in), and black color has not been produced at all (only prototypes/test cars). So I may be waiting until September. Which I am frankly ok with seeing how they are making changes constantly and improving upon the process. These being brand new products they ought to have some imperfections (as pointed out by people that got theirs already, the back seats, hooks, heat pump noise, etc...).. With Model 3 being so mature they may make a change a few times a quarter, with Y they got to be improving on daily basis. So every day delayed makes your car better.

How is that even possible? I ordered the same config on 3/7 and I'm still seeing just an order number on line and I'm in California...
Because Tesla doesn’t advertise in the US, they often deliver their cars to places with less saturation first so that others around the country can see it. Also, they usually don’t deliver to California until the very end of the quarter.

Its well known that second third of the quarter (meaning Feb, May, Aug, Nov) are cars for East Coast. (first third being for EU, and last third being for West Coast). So its not surprising that he is getting his (being not on the West Coast), even though you have the same build (because you are on the West Coast). Yours will be built next month (June).

I am also West Coast, so I am hoping for June; however I got black/black (hate the black plastic bottom on all other colors, at least on black it blends in), and black color has not been produced at all (only prototypes/test cars). So I may be waiting until September. Which I am frankly ok with seeing how they are making changes constantly and improving upon the process. These being brand new products they ought to have some imperfections (as pointed out by people that got theirs already, the back seats, hooks, heat pump noise, etc...).. With Model 3 being so mature they may make a change a few times a quarter, with Y they got to be improving on daily basis. So every day delayed makes your car better.
You’re totally correct on Tesla’s build strategy except I think it’s important to note this is slightly different for the Model Y. The Model Y won’t be delivered to Europe, those will all be built at Giga Germany. Asia Model Ys won’t come online for a while and China will be built at Giga Shanghai. In other words: all Model Ys being built right now are being built for North America.

Considering I've seen (at least) one other post confirming a LR AWD delivery in California, and I'm getting one this week, it seems Tesla is deviating from what would be expected (i.e. first part of the quarter East Coast, then West Coast later).

The factory closure likely had an impact on their delivery schedule. And FWIW we're already in the second half of Q2. Time flies due to the pandemic...

I've been contemplating what I will do when Tesla call/text me. Every other car manufacturer is desperate to sell cars. They are offering deals, but not Tesla. Tesla will devalue your trade, but not lower the price of their cars. Considering the lack of quality control, they have some nerve. Most here are Tesla fans, so I don't expect much love, but maybe, just maybe if we all played harder to get, we would get more. More QC, more customer service.

No doubt if they tell my car is ready, I will take it. But I've got the fine tooth comb ready :)

Considering I've seen (at least) one other post confirming a LR AWD delivery in California, and I'm getting one this week, it seems Tesla is deviating from what would be expected (i.e. first part of the quarter East Coast, then West Coast later).

The factory closure likely had an impact on their delivery schedule. And FWIW we're already in the second half of Q2. Time flies due to the pandemic...

yeah we dont know for sure, these are just what people observed, so its best we can go off of. Dont forget that cars may have been built prior to pandemic, and are declined by customers due to loss of job etc..

...Most here are Tesla fans, so I don't expect much love, but maybe, just maybe if we all played harder to get, we would get more. More QC, more customer service.

No doubt if they tell my car is ready, I will take it. But I've got the fine tooth comb ready :)

Just to clarify, you want everyone else to play hard to get with Tesla so that QC and customer service will improve, but you're going to snap up your Model Y as soon as they say it's ready? :)

I think you answered your own question as to why Tesla isn't resorting to massive discounts to move Model Ys. They don't need to. At least for the Y, there's a queue of folks who placed orders waiting for delivery. I'm not a big fan of Tesla (at least not yet; ask me later when my Model Y arrives) or its leadership, but that pricing strategy makes sense to me and I can't fault them for it.

Last edited:
I called the SF showroom today to check the status as my car transmission died over the weekend. RIP.

The Tesla sales rep said the Fremont factory is up and running as of today. He also said they are expecting to have pre-orders for the SF Bay Area fulfilled by the end of this quarter - end of June. (NOTE: He did not differentiate this estimate between AWD/performance or the interior color.)

Fingers crossed!

Still waiting on a VIN. Ordered a Blue LR AWD, black interior with 20” induction wheels on 2/1/20. Changed the config (exterior color only to white) on 3/30/20. Got the email to expect delivery soon but nothing so far. Think my loan approval will expire in the next few days. Anyone from NJ (like me) in the same boat?

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Are you sure? From Elon:

we produced a certain number and then we were able to deliver a certain number in the quarter, and there's a whole bunch of cars on ships or on trains or on trucks.

source: Tesla Motors (TSLA) Earnings Report: Q1 2015 Conference Call Transcript

Yes, I am sure: Tesla does not use the rails at its factory, they aren't even connected anymore. Do they put them on trucks and then transfer them to rail cars at some other location? Maybe, I don't know.

Last edited: