Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimated delivery of new orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am certainly not an expert, but my understanding is that the 10th digit in every car's VIN corresponds to the "model year". Tesla might not adhere to "model year" concept but every state registers cars by model year since that is how the overall industry has operated. Tesla has to provide a "model year" for the car registration and apparently it also has to be included in the VIN encoding. In the MS forums there is a thread with the decode of the Tesla VIN numbers and sure enough, they include "model year".

Therefore, I believe the "model year" for a Tesla that will be displayed on the title and registration is not determined by the factory completion date of the vehicle, but rather by when the VIN is created (which typically happens about 6 weeks before they begin production).

• Informative
Reactions: Mjølner
Interesting point. If true, because Tesla doesn't build in VIN order, it means someone may get a 2017 VIN built in 2016 because their order got pushed, and someone else could get a 2016 built in 2017 because their VIN was assigned too early or there was a parts shortage.

Someone on this forum just got their VIN within the last 2 days and it is a G (2016) VIN, even though it's only 5 weeks until 2016, and Tesla would need to build 7000+ Model X's in those 5 weeks to clear all the G VINs in 2016.

Of course, other manufacturers don't actually follow a Jan 1 cutoff either. You can often buy 2017 model year cars in 2016.

Interesting point. If true, because Tesla doesn't build in VIN order, it means someone may get a 2017 VIN built in 2016 because their order got pushed, and someone else could get a 2016 built in 2017 because their VIN was assigned too early or there was a parts shortage.

Someone on this forum just got their VIN within the last 2 days and it is a G (2016) VIN, even though it's only 5 weeks until 2016, and Tesla would need to build 7000+ Model X's in those 5 weeks to clear all the G VINs in 2016.

Of course, other manufacturers don't actually follow a Jan 1 cutoff either. You can often buy 2017 model year cars in 2016.

I'm just guessing, but based on Tesla's "we don't care about model year" philosophy, I suspect there is a strict cutoff date when they flip from G to H. Furthermore, if you try to pick a defensible date it is hard to beat 1/1. Again, I have no facts to back this up and am just shooting from the hip here, but my bet is that every VIN created in 2016 is a G. If your order is finalized on 12/28/16 and the VIN is created on 12/29/16, I expect it would be a G VIN and therefore a 2016 model year regardless of when it was produced and actually delivered (both likely 1Q17).

John_C, I've heard of people getting an updated Vin # with new letter even after they had one assigned. The final 6-digits don't change but the letter does. Not sure if it is 100% adhered to but a chassis entering paint on January 1st 2017 should have a 2017 Vin # on it.

John_C, I've heard of people getting an updated Vin # with new letter even after they had one assigned. The final 6-digits don't change but the letter does. Not sure if it is 100% adhered to but a chassis entering paint on January 1st 2017 should have a 2017 Vin # on it.

Interesting. Thanks. Since the end of the year is coming up fast, it might soon be the ideal time to start a thread and see just how much planning and wiggle room there is.

Reactions: vrykolas