Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimated range updates in 2024.2.6 release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any hot takes on this part of the 2024.2.6 update? What are y’all seeing?

IMG_7018.jpeg

What am I missing? This make no sense to me. I thought battery range was already being done with both the real time rated range display on the dash display (MS/X and consumption in the center display. i.e. battery age has nothing directly to do with it, simply your battery's state of health.
What's Tesla gonna do - your battery is 5 years old and knock another 30 miles off ?

What am I missing? This make no sense to me. I thought battery range was already being done with both the real time rated range display on the dash display (MS/X and consumption in the center display. i.e. battery age has nothing directly to do with it, simply your battery's state of health.
What's Tesla gonna do - your battery is 5 years old and knock another 30 miles off ?
The range setting was calculated based on the EPA rating of the car, not the actual available capacity of your particular battery. I don't know why they didn't do this before, it's about time :)

The navigation was calculating based on your actual battery capacity however.

The number of miles as displayed by pressing the Battery icon has always been a point of contention, all it was good for was to keep an eye on battery degradation. It was a "math" formula using the current voltage of the pack (which changes over time) multiplied by some agreed-upon NUMBER with the EPA. Mine displayed 301 miles when brand new at 100% SOC, I recently needed a 100% (at 15K miles) and it displayed 285 miles. A difference of 5.6% is about what one would expect for battery degradation after 15K miles. The real data comes from the Energy app. So I set my battery icon to display PERCENTAGE.

Yeah, I fully agree with this. Decreased capacity was already being shown in the rated miles in the battery "fuel gauge". That already incorporated age indirectly because of the actual storage capacity degrading over time.
The range setting was calculated based on the EPA rating of the car, not the actual available capacity of your particular battery. I don't know why they didn't do this before, it's about time
No. It was the actual estimated capacity available in your particular battery. My 10 year old car hasn't continued to show the initial EPA value of 265 rated miles this whole time. What they have from the EPA is the fixed value of the consumption efficiency constant for the car.

And I guess that's the real question: Does that efficiency constant scaling factor really move that much with the battery age because of internal resistance or something?