Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ETA for Model 3 White and Tan Interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That really sucks as any delay could push it into the $3,750 tax credit. They could also package it with the AWD that I dont want. On top of that I would think all the current owners wanting AWD would jump the line waiters again.

Are there really another 30k in the US and Canada that want the current configuration?

That really sucks as any delay could push it into the $3,750 tax credit. They could also package it with the AWD that I dont want. On top of that I would think all the current owners wanting AWD would jump the line waiters again.

Are there really another 30k in the US and Canada that want the current configuration?

Was disappointed in the news also. Thought they would be able to introduce the white interior sooner which would also spin as positive news for Teslas stock as it would show they are able to now add more configuration options and production was indeed going to the positive direction. If there are delays in white interior making it a possibility to lose out on the full $7500 then I would not wait for it. Going to sit in a 3 again today and probably just order since I can get car sooner, get full tax credit, and also secure better financing at 1.5% over 48 months which will likely rise by summer time.

Elon just responded to timing questions via Twitter. AWD ~July, and similar timing for white interior. Says they need to achieve 5K/week before adding complexity that could potentially inhibit the ramp.

Ughhhh.

Thanks for posting this info, I went ahead and configured. Would have loved to wait for the white interior but can't risk missing out on the full tax credit or getting caught behind everyone that wants AWD.

I guess I can always get white after market seats later with part of the tax credit if I feel it is needed in this hot FL weather.

I’m in the same boat, and now we’re really debating just ordering the current configuration.

I’m sure it’s a great car, but I’m so damn conflicted. I’ve wanted the white interior more than just about anything and have been willing to wait.. But at this point it’s been over 6 months since we were invited to configure, and what’s left of my patience is long gone.

Decisions, decisions..

Reactions: Schowtyme
Thanks for posting this info, I went ahead and configured. Would have loved to wait for the white interior but can't risk missing out on the full tax credit or getting caught behind everyone that wants AWD.

I guess I can always get white after market seats later with part of the tax credit if I feel it is needed in this hot FL weather.

Guys there’s a group of TMC members with credibility here (look for the 200k thread) - forecasting Q3 when Tesla will cross the 200k mark. Tesla is working to optimize the date for our benefit. Pushing Canadian and other external markets while they work on the ramp rate. Once the ramp is optimized, they’ll time it to end with the quarters to give us the longest production run time before the phase out begins.

We’ve got some time.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Guys there’s a group of TMC members with credibility here (look for the 200k thread) - forecasting Q3 when Tesla will cross the 200k mark. Tesla is working to optimize the date for our benefit. Pushing Canadian and other external markets while they work on the ramp rate. Once the ramp is optimized, they’ll time it to end with the quarters to give us the longest production run time before the phase out begins.

We’ve got some time.
Encouraging to hear that. I would hold out too, but for the uncertainty of Elon Time. With all due respect, I’m not sure of the July date being achievable. Add to that, the AWD seekers who are current owners: that’s pushing it uncomfortably close to $3,750 territory.

Personally we’re biting the bullet and going with the black interior. Maybe we’ll get the white when the second ICE car eventually gets replaced by a second Tesla!

Encouraging to hear that. I would hold out too, but for the uncertainty of Elon Time. With all due respect, I’m not sure of the July date being achievable. Add to that, the AWD seekers who are current owners: that’s pushing it uncomfortably close to $3,750 territory.

Personally we’re biting the bullet and going with the black interior. Maybe we’ll get the white when the second ICE car eventually gets replaced by a second Tesla!
But you could wait and see what happens. If for some reason they do end up hitting 200K in Q2, you still have 3 months to get the car delivered. So the day of the earnings call that tells you they hit 200k, you put in your order. If they end up not hitting it in Q2, then you get an additional 3 months before having to make up your mind. The only reason to get it now is because you don't actually care about having the AWD or potentially white interior. Or because you just *have* to have a Tesla now. :)

But you could wait and see what happens. If for some reason they do end up hitting 200K in Q2, you still have 3 months to get the car delivered. So the day of the earnings call that tells you they hit 200k, you put in your order. If they end up not hitting it in Q2, then you get an additional 3 months before having to make up your mind. The only reason to get it now is because you don't actually care about having the AWD or potentially white interior. Or because you just *have* to have a Tesla now. :)

If they hit in Q2 I think only a handful of non-owners would make the cut. Say they have 40,000 current owner reservations and 50% are waiting on the AWD. When they start producing the AWD I would expect some RWD to stil be produced. Lets say the AWD/RWD mix is 50/50. With 2 weeks between production and delivery the earliest a non-owner could get the white would be Sept 15th. That is if owners have priority, nothing goes wrong, they start production on July 1st and average 5,000/week for that time frame.

Reactions: Schowtyme
If they hit in Q2 I think only a handful of non-owners would make the cut. Say they have 40,000 current owner reservations and 50% are waiting on the AWD. When they start producing the AWD I would expect some RWD to stil be produced. Lets say the AWD/RWD mix is 50/50. With 2 weeks between production and delivery the earliest a non-owner could get the white would be Sept 15th. That is if owners have priority, nothing goes wrong, they start production on July 1st and average 5,000/week for that time frame.
Why would they continue to make RWD? Margins are higher for AWD and it's easier to only make one configuration at a time.

Why would they continue to make RWD? Margins are higher for AWD and it's easier to only make one configuration at a time.

Reason's I think they will be making both. Actually it makes sense to start out slow.
1. There will be issues so why risk slowing down total production.
2. Makes more sense to start out slow with the AWD ramp such as only running 4 hours week 1, 8 hours week 2, 12 hours week 3 etc.
3. I don't see them saying that no one can order the current configuration.
4. Even if they did a 50/50 split for two months at 5k cars per week with a $2k higher margin that is only $40 million. That is not much in the big picture.

Holding out for tan/cream/beige. Would take white over black, but prefer beige.
There have been zero mentions of interiors other than black and white, so I would think it is unlikely any time soon. We have commitments for dual motor, white interior, short range battery, performance edition, and non-premium interior that have been announced and I would expect will be delivered before any new options.

I think the other thing people concerned about the tax credit timing should understand... Tesla will no doubt give clear guidance to the general US public when they are about to cross that line and when exactly how all that will phase out. That will force people sitting on the fence to jump in. To not speak up about it - would be a grave PR mistake.

No doubt that announcement (when it comes) will cause a mass click rush on the "Order" or the "Buy with Apple Pay" buttons.

But I digress...