Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Etiquette for stranded fellow Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you stop. Please put on a safety vest. Day or night they help other drivers see you. Many people are looking at accidents and cars. Sometimes the people get missed.

For me I would offer the occupants a ride to a gas station or local waiting spot. Often the driver has to stay with car for tow or roadside assistance.

Could be me at some moment. I would want the help. So would they I would think. Especially from a fellow Tesla owner.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc and dbldwn02
Push it!!! Lol...jk.

I'm planning on buying a Goal Zero Lithium Battery Bank. 3000Wh. Not for the car but just for backup at the house. If he was only a quarter mile from the charger, something like that would only take 15-20 minutes to get enough charge at 20amps. This only works if you have easy access to the battery. For road-trips, you're pretty much hosed unless there's a BigR or Cheap tool store you can go buy a $200 generator at. Any of those options beats a $200-300 flatbed tow for a quarter mile.

Hoping Tesla will eventually allow us to Car2Car transfer like Rivian will. :cool:

We have the "hooks" - charge port could probably be programmed to feed power but we would need a car to car cable and software support.
Car to car isn’t going to work without a dc2dc converter to control the current flow.

I believe all the car has on the high voltage DC path is a relay. That would not be able to handle the initial current.

if one is that low, find an outlet. Any outlet. The car will charge at a normal outlet - granted it will be slow.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Car to car isn’t going to work without a dc2dc converter to control the current flow.

I believe all the car has on the high voltage DC path is a relay. That would not be able to handle the initial current.

if one is that low, find an outlet. Any outlet. The car will charge at a normal outlet - granted it will be slow.

I guess in this particular case a DC/AC Inverter plugged into the 12v outlet would work. Although it would take an hour.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and BerTX
Push it!!! Lol...jk.

I'm planning on buying a Goal Zero Lithium Battery Bank. 3000Wh. Not for the car but just for backup at the house. If he was only a quarter mile from the charger, something like that would only take 15-20 minutes to get enough charge at 20amps. This only works if you have easy access to the battery. For road-trips, you're pretty much hosed unless there's a BigR or Cheap tool store you can go buy a $200 generator at. Any of those options beats a $200-300 flatbed tow for a quarter mile.

Hoping Tesla will eventually allow us to Car2Car transfer like Rivian will. :cool:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are couple youtube videos show the Goal Zero Battery will not work. I wish there is a solution for this myself.

To bad there isn’t a way to “jump” them (give them some juice). I think it’s so rare it’s hard to justify hooks in the cars to allow such a thing.

I've posted about the utility of this for years. From a hardware perspective it seems that the only thing that would be required is an adapter for the "wall" end of the mobile charger that fits the charge port. The car would, obviously, need a software update to support this. I guess the need is rare enough that it's not worth their trouble. And possibly they don't want to send the message that people run out of juice often enough to warrant this technology.

Reactions: mswlogo

Is it impossible to use the AC hardware? 20kW is still plenty for an emergency charge

On my way to the supercharger last night, I came across a Tesla (model X) with its hazards on on the side of the road. We were about a quarter mile from the charger so I assumed he was out of juice. I've had my model S for about 3 months and haven't come across this situation...what should/can a Tesla owner do to help out?
I would stop and help if children is not with me. I carry a tow strap but have not explored my S enough to know if there is a hitch/tow point in the rear.

Is it impossible to use the AC hardware? 20kW is still plenty for an emergency charge
I think it would be possible. The 240 volts ac that is the normal input to the charger has a peak of 350 volts. So the 400 volts max from the battery could probably feed the input side of the charger. They would just need a few contactors to change over from accepting to sourcing power through the charge port.

They probably don't want to make it easy to use the car as a source of power. People would be using it for back up which could degrade the battery more quickly.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
Carry a 20 ft tow strap. If his blinkers are already on, he can select TOW MODE and there you go!!
--

I think this is a viable option. Towing the car and allowing it to regen can/may/would/possibly give them enough juice to get to a charger or even to a charger. Essentially you are transferring juice from your pack to their pack but via a different means.

So what DID you do????????????

In essence, nothing (which got me thinking about what I could've/perhaps should've done). The driver was on the phone, I'm assuming with roadside/tow company and I didn't want to add to their stress by adding myself to his situation.

All the comments about "sharing" energy are where my mind went...I can use my Samsung as a Qi for others with wireless charging capabilities. It seems like this might become a bigger problem with more and more adopters of EV.

I guess, going forward, I'll keep a tow strap and find strap points in my S to help, if/when there is a next time.

They probably don't want to make it easy to use the car as a source of power. People would be using it for back up which could degrade the battery more quickly.
If anything it would degrade a battery much more slowly. Powering your home from a Tesla uses a full charge over days - maybe a week if you're frugal. Static power wouldn't use as much power as driving unless you were acting as a battery back up for your whole neighborhood.