Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU finalize and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What i heard: Switzerland and Norway get their car first because of different import-rules.

They might get them first, but it doesn't mean they will be built first. If European cars gets shipped at the same time, the ones for EU-countries with an import tariff will suffer a slight delay because they have to receive their battery pack in Tilburg, The Netherlands.

Okay, starting to see some logic here: are perhaps all the European VIN's so far for cars with the Performance plus package? It would make sense if Tesla is batching those.

EDIT: I've now heard from a non-P+ that he got a VIN. There's goes one more theory.

Last edited:
I got told that factory needs 3 months, shipping 6 weeks. I also remember that Elon said that a some hundred cards built in Q2 will be on ship but will get revenue in Q3. I assumed that these are the cars delivered in July. I do hope that cars that have a VIN now are finished and are now shipped to EU. As I'm getting impatient I have polled 3 different Tesla people to find out what is going on.

What i heard: Switzerland and Norway get their car first because of different import-rules. (non-EU)

Hmm, I think you are right. Almost all VINs that are now in the excel-sheet are for Norwegian and Swiss cars. So it looks like you are right and those cars get built first. That in combination with faster delivery (no final assembly in The Netherlands) probably means they will be delivered much earlier. Although I am happy for those people, I would like to know how Tesla is going to explain to many European Signature-holders why cars like P1265 from Switzerland and P1293 from Norway get delivered earlier than Signatures. Signature-owners are paying several thousand euros more (and they each funded Tesla with €30,000 for one to three years), in exchange for first delivery. Is Tesla going to refund the premium they paid?

Although I am happy for those people, I would like to know how Tesla is going to explain to many European Signature-holders why cars like P1265 from Switzerland and P1293 from Norway get delivered earlier than Signatures. Signature-owners are paying several thousand euros more (and they each funded Tesla with €30,000 for one to three years), in exchange for first delivery. Is Tesla going to refund the premium they paid?

Quite possibly the explanation is going to be: Because your government made stupid rules.

I can totally empathize with your sentiment, though. Getting a sig was a gamble on advantages of timing and style, and so far it does not look like it is paying off.

Quite possibly the explanation is going to be: Because your government made stupid rules.

I can totally empathize with your sentiment, though. Getting a sig was a gamble on advantages of timing and style, and so far it does not look like it is paying off.

One thing is if cars get through customs faster - that is indeed the fault of stupid government rules - but another thing is building those cars first. That is something Tesla decides. And I don't understand, given the advantage Swiss and Norwegian cars already have in getting imported faster, why Tesla decided to magnify that advantage by also building them sooner (it is not like they need the money, with $750 million in the bank). In all fairness that should be the other way round.

One thing is if cars get through customs faster - that is indeed the fault of stupid government rules - but another thing is building those cars first. That is something Tesla decides. And I don't understand, given the advantage Swiss and Norwegian cars already have in getting imported faster, why Tesla decided to magnify that advantage by also building them sooner (it is not like they need the money). In all fairness that should be the other way round.

Could be purely practical reasons. To deliver to Norway and Switzerland, all they need is a couple of local guys to deliver the cars. To deliver in the EU they need to get the Tilburg assembly up and running, which they may not be ready with yet (they just recently got the type approval, so a month ago they didn't even know 100% what the cars to be assembled at Tilburg would be like). They may also need some sort of approval for the process, to avoid the import duties. Then they need to figure out the logistics for cars without wheels and battery packs, and for the loose packs and batteries. This is much harder than for cars with wheels.

In an ideal world, all of this would have started in time to have it ready by know. However, such things always get delayed, and especially when you are trying to do so many things concurrently as Tesla are doing right now.

I have no doubts they would really like to deliver to the Netherlands as soon as possible, too.

One thing is if cars get through customs faster - that is indeed the fault of stupid government rules - but another thing is building those cars first. That is something Tesla decides. And I don't understand, given the advantage Swiss and Norwegian cars already have in getting imported faster, why Tesla decided to magnify that advantage by also building them sooner (it is not like they need the money, with $750 million in the bank). In all fairness that should be the other way round.

Without knowing what is the main reason, I am absolutely sure that at least for Norway one of the BIG reasons for getting cars here quickly is that we are currently the largest market outside of the US. And that means for Tesla that the sooner they can get the Model S on the road here in a good quantity, the bigger the potential to generate new orders. After all, the best salespeople Tesla have are car-owners. As there are possibly some 1500 Norwegians who have ordered the car, it makes sense to hurry the delivery to this market.

There are so many people here interested in the car, but these are all just waiting to see it on the road.

Frustrating, I still have the reservation Number displayed despite have a #4 Signature P85+ for CH. Hope they will change that in "My Tesla" soon. I have also installed the Tesla app on the iPhone but it says "Your car might not be ready". Has anyone with a VIN Number tried the Tesla App?

i have reserved a p85 signature in june 2012 got reservation id eu:366. Tesla says car is delivered in july and today i got the vin: 5yjsa2dp2dfs14231.
What does the vin say ?
  • 5YJ - Tesla
  • S - Model S
  • A - 5 Door Hatchback LHD RWD
  • 2 - NEW to the forum. More research required. (For U.S. market, the value was '1'.)
  • D - 20 kW Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
  • P - Performance A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)
  • 2 - Check digit
  • D - 2013
  • F - Fremont
  • S - Signature
  • 14231 - Production Sequence

Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

The PDF listed here doesn't speak to what the "2" in slot 6 means:
Decoding Tesla Model S VINs - Page 19

Frustrating, I still have the reservation Number displayed despite have a #4 Signature P85+ for CH. Hope they will change that in "My Tesla" soon. I have also installed the Tesla app on the iPhone but it says "Your car might not be ready". Has anyone with a VIN Number tried the Tesla App?

Yes, that IS really frustrating! You're a very early Signature, you've been waiting for 4 years (which means you funded Tesla with €30,000 all that time; that is €2500 in interest) and you still have no VIN, while people with a normal P who ordered only half a year ago already have a VIN. Tesla has a strange way of 'rewarding' its most faithful and loyal customers.