Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't you just buy a used 2014-15 Model S from another EU country and register it at the lower tax rate in Denmark before the year ends?

Well, firstly, there is still a chance to buy a Tesla - they ask you to contact them and ask for a car that's delivered (=registered) in 2015. So if you happen to be living in DK and are thinking of buying a Model S - get yourself on a phone to Tesla ASAP!

Secondly, I never thought of importing a Model S from another EU country but indeed that should be an option.

Tesla leaves other Luxury Cars behind, in Switzerland
Tidbits from an article in the NZZ am Sonntag, 10.8.2015
;
From Jan to September 2015 Tesla sold in Switzerland 1'151 Model S, almost twice as much as
Mercedes S-Class (641),
further behind:
Maserati Ghibli (424)
Jaguar XF (279)
BMW 6-series (237)
Audi A7 (180)
Porsche Panamera (120)
Audi A8 (86)
BMW 7-series (63)

That's amazing, congrats:)

Most British teenagers expect their first car to be electric

More than 80% of British 14-year-olds believe that the first car they buy will be electric, as electric vehicle sales in the UK continue to rise. Almost 90% of 14 to 17 year olds feel that motorists should be driving zero-emissions cars, regardless of their age.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/most-british-teenagers-expect-first-090615134.html#cyQf4ia

Having two British teenagers, 14+16, I struggle to believe this survey. Daughter has her heart set on a Fiat 500 (which is ICE only here), and Son 16 would gladly take any car as long as it avoids walking!

Certainly as a first/learner car neither will be getting an EV. They would be ineligible to drive stick shift if they take their tests in one ;)

Exactly ;).... Or a cheap rental, or a van, or a classic... at the end of the day it's a useful life skill. A bit like long division, even though we all now just use calculators ;)
As a Canadian I find it surprising that so many cars in the UK are still stick shift. Here in North American they have become extremely rare in the last decade, especially since the performance aspect is no longer valid due to the improved quality of automatic transmissions, or the lack of need for a transmission in a Tesla.

Yes, I do expect a record for Danish deliveries in Q4. In fact, I talked to a guy at a party who was biting his behind that he didn't order a Model S before the deadline. I think next year will be interesting: I do expect the S70D / S85 to do moderately well(badly). I don't expect any P90Ds to be sold at all (maybe one or two but not really many more).

Thanks a lot, Sebastian. This gives some color to it. I've just watched Bjorn's update on the referal program which he posted about 10 days ago, in which he's shown the current state of referals in Europe...and a Danish customer has accumulated almost 60 referals within a month roughly: Tesla referral program update October - YouTube

Bjorn basically has confirmed that Danes were ordering Model S like crazy. Just to remind ourselves, Denmark is the 5th best European market with roughly 350 Model S sold in Q3 alone. Now, what to expect for Q4 then? Will we be looking at twice that number? Maybe triple?

Thanks a lot, Sebastian. This gives some color to it. I've just watched Bjorn's update on the referal program which he posted about 10 days ago, in which he's shown the current state of referals in Europe...and a Danish customer has accumulated almost 60 referals within a month roughly: Tesla referral program update October - YouTube

Bjorn basically has confirmed that Danes were ordering Model S like crazy. Just to remind ourselves, Denmark is the 5th best European market with roughly 350 Model S sold in Q3 alone. Now, what to expect for Q4 then? Will we be looking at twice that number? Maybe triple?

Very hard to say how much the number will move. But I sure assume that Denmark until the end of the year is only limited by the amount of Model S, that Tesla can deliver. I think the recent legislation has given a lot of people the final push to press the order button and if you remember, that a Model S in DK competes in the same price-range as better equipped Audi A4 / entry level Audi A6 the market should be reasonably big.

As a Canadian I find it surprising that so many cars in the UK are still stick shift. Here in North American they have become extremely rare in the last decade, especially since the performance aspect is no longer valid due to the improved quality of automatic transmissions, or the lack of need for a transmission in a Tesla.

CO2 is a big driver in EU (negated somewhat by DSG 'boxes). Traditional auto-transmissions are less efficient, and DSG's are generally more costly.

But you are right there's a big divide across the Atlantic between auto and manual. Things are changing as automated manuals get more common (and the price drops), so traditional torque converter style gearboxes are losing ground.

Another decade and I suspect 3 pedal layout will be seen in the same light as cars without synchro mesh gears ;)

Not trying to read too much in that number because it's not encouraging : July had 222 and Tesla needs to do 40% better over last quarter to meet the lower bound if its standing guidance...

They had 190/month on average in Q3 so 40% more would be 266 - if the last two weeks of Oct will stay at 78/week, we'd end up at 255, close enough ;). So there is a chance they´ll make it. But obviously they don´t have to do 40% more in every single country, if China keep the growth they´ve had this year, they can make up for quite a bit. At least the norway number will be higher than last month, some people had been speculating it would stay down or even drop further because of market saturation.