Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you both

Any thoughts on EV Incentives being close to 50000? Is there some kind of hard stop in place or will continue after 50000 until changed otherwise?

No hard stop. But >50000 BEVs registered could lead to a reevaluation of the current incentives before 2017, the year they were originally set to be reevaluated. This is of course a political issue and since the incentives came in to play there has been a shift in elected government. Most likely the incentives will be gradually waned (weaned?) off, starting with escalating VAT year by year.

Last edited:
Thank you both

Any thoughts on EV Incentives being close to 50000? Is there some kind of hard stop in place or will continue after 50000 until changed otherwise?

No hard stop. Negotiations at being held at the moment. Most probable outcome is still strong/same incentives next couple of years. My guess is we will see sales tax added gradually from 2017 and be 10% by 2020. (Normal rate is 25%)

Was at a P85D test drive event near my hometown of Aachen, Germany today. The cool thing was it was held at the universities´s car test track, so no other traffic, banked curves, and they set up a slalom course with cones. Also talked to a few Model S owners. My take aways:

- Two of the three people I talked to had gotten their Model S from their companies. One guy said they had gotten 10+ Model Ss at once with probably more to come. So that gives hope for higher sales in Germany if other companies start doing the same.

- All owners were very happy with their current Teslas, didn´t want to go back to ICEs.

- People are doing long distance trips (skiing holidays etc.) and happy with the SC network, even if travelling takes a bit more time than with ICEs

- Destination charging (hotels) hardly exists yet, would help a lot

- The P85D definitely got much more punch than the P85+ I had test driven before. I didn´t get that rollercoaster-like tingling feeling in your stomach just from accelerating back then.

- Handled amazingly well in the slalom (though I have nothing to really compare the experience to).

- Next generation back seats are a huge improvement for me. In all other Model Ss I sat in my head hit the roof, even with the sun roof. Not any more. (I am 6' 1)

It is good to remind yourself how good the Model S is (as a non owner) in times when being a share holder is a bit depressing! Pictures on the German forum.

Last edited:
People in Germany are getting their S85Ds delivered now. The second forum owner tested it to 250 kmph/155mph on the Autobahn.

TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer 85D - Erste Erfahrungen
TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer OWNER !!!

-Update-

He says acceleration is very good up to 220 km/h, good to 250 km/h.

Update 2 (first owner)

filel1j0u.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the relevant thread: (Nesten) 1500 nye Model S registrert i Mars!

Amoss is the user name to look for. :)

Thanks for posting the link! I looked at it and used google translate on it a bit, maybe you can check on what I think I found out:

- The thread name "1500 nye Model S registrert i Mars" refers to March 2014 when the thread was started
- The last score was just above 1000 Model S registrations in Norway for March 2015 Sv: (Nesten) 1500 nye Model S registrert i Mars!
- But: 91 cars were counted double so have to subtract those Sv: (Nesten) 1500 nye Model S registrert i Mars!
- Then in the same post Amoss talks about another source NRK (Norwegian TV) citing 1000 more than his own numbers - do you have a source for that?!!

- But: 91 cars were counted double so have to subtract those Sv: (Nesten) 1500 nye Model S registrert i Mars!
- Then in the same post Amoss talks about another source NRK (Norwegian TV) citing 1000 more than his own numbers - do you have a source for that?!!

Both of this numbers are for EV's total, not Tesla's and not march and/or 2015. Of this double registered cars there is only 18 Model S.

I am very happy to hear that Tesla is working on fleet sales in Germany now. They do events at major companies to show them the car and let employees do test drives/rides. If they can convince some of the companies to list Tesla as a company car option, sales in Germany will pick up substantially.

This article

Automarkt-Statistiken: Fahrzeugbestand, Neuzulassungen, Anteil Geschäftswagen 2013 | Buzzriders

states that about 90 % of all BMW 5 Series are company cars.

This is a huge market Tesla has all but neglected in the past.

This is a huge market Tesla has all but neglected in the past.

Neglected? That's a pretty strong word from someone who isn't privy (unless you are, then please elaborate) to what Tesla is doing behind the scenes. There are sooooooooooo many possibilities, I don't know where to begin, as to why Tesla doesn't have the number of fleet sales you think they should, deliberately neglecting that segment of the market doesn't even hit the top 100 list.

Neglected? That's a pretty strong word from someone who isn't privy (unless you are, then please elaborate) to what Tesla is doing behind the scenes. There are sooooooooooo many possibilities, I don't know where to begin, as to why Tesla doesn't have the number of fleet sales you think they should, deliberately neglecting that segment of the market doesn't even hit the top 100 list.

The big question is if Tesla is giving discounts to fleets? Because MB,BMW,and Audi do give big discounts.

You can justify it by saying you can give a discount and maintain margins because you are spending less in logistics and Tesla employee time selling to fleets.

Remember the UK government considered fleet purchase of Model S but refused on principle when it could not get a discount from retail.

Sorry if I came across too harsh. English is not my first language.

I meant to take a positive stance. My observations are:

- Tesla has two more open positions for regional fleet sales managers, others have been filled
- I have met people recently who have been invited to such test drives/test rides - they show positive reactions

Up to a few months from now, no such activities were visible to me. What I meant to express, is that Tesla seems to be doing a lot lately to increase awareness in fleet buyers. I expect that to increase sales in Germany big time.

Look what I wrote 2013-10-20 Great article from Auto Zeitung in Germany!

Sorry if I came across too harsh. English is not my first language.

I meant to take a positive stance. My observations are:

- Tesla has two more open positions for regional fleet sales managers, others have been filled
- I have met people recently who have been invited to such test drives/test rides - they show positive reactions

Up to a few months from now, no such activities were visible to me. What I meant to express, is that Tesla seems to be doing a lot lately to increase awareness in fleet buyers. I expect that to increase sales in Germany big time.

Look what I wrote 2013-10-20 Great article from Auto Zeitung in Germany!

Thanks for the clarification.

You sure? I am getting confused - are all those numbers Yggdrasil posted total EVs??

Yes I'm sure, and no, the number he gave was for Model S in March 2015, but the two numbers I quoted was for total EVs.

Just to make it clear: (updated numbers)
March 2015:
Model S: 1017
EVs total: 3305

Total ever:
Model S: 7460 (this number includes 18 cars with double registrations - or some of the doubles might been Roadsters? Forgot to check that out...)
EVs total: 48835 (this is the number that was at that time about 1000 cars lower then official stated by NRK, and include 91 cars (of witch 18 is Tesla's) with double registrations and one with triple)