Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European Model 3 CCS plug: could it be sign that US Superchargers will offer CCS plugs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with @theredviper in that a lot of legacy manufactures like Porsche waive 350kw as some soft of holy grail. In reality, I would much rather have a 100kw or even 50kw charger readily accessible on every major road I might drive on for a road trip. Peak charge rate can only be reached for a short period of time, provided that you start below 15% SOC and after the battery has been warmed up. Those are hard conditions to meet every time, or even very often.

I think Tesla is starting to see this with their mobile superchargers (usually used to supplement very overworked locations with normal superchargers). These mobile superchargers are easy to permit and to connect, they peak at 75kw, and are way better option than waiting in line for 30 minutes while your pack cools down).

I think Porsche is trying to turn fast-charging into something that people equate with refueling gasoline, which is just wrong headed IMO. I had significant knowledge around charging standards and speeds before I took delivery of my 3, and still my views changed as an owner.

From a road trip perspective, Full 120kW Superchargers are a funny beast. Assuming I cruise into the SC somewhere between 10 and 20%, and plug in looking to get to about 80%, I have enough time for a bathroom break and a coffee, maybe stretch my legs, but not much more. Certainly not a real meal unless I'm scarfing down a big mac. I travel with a family and a small child, everything is slower. Most of the time I have to run out of wherever we are to go and unplug the car and re-park it before the rest of the family is ready. This problem couldn't be more "first world", but it is a reality, and a 50kW charger would actually work better in some of these occasions. This all ignores the power sharing these stations have, which can further confuse your time.

Part of the issue is that I live in a place where Superchargers bill per minute, so I'm always clock watching when I'm plugged in.

Reactions: APotatoGod and DR61
Depending on the price, I'd be interested in seeing a CCS adapter for a North American Model 3, though whether I'd buy it would be a function of price.
The $500 price for the CHAdeMO adapter seems grossly excessive for a CCS adapter, as the benefit of having isn't supported by that price.

I wonder if the CCS adapter would be more of the China GB adapter style and not like chademo. The only issue is that GB uses an external mechanical lock on the charge connector (like type 1 and chademo) vs the port so the CCS adapter would somehow need to be lock the charge connector to the adapter. (I would guess that would happen electronically once the car is plugged in or there's a mechanical switch on the adapter itself).
gbtadapter.jpg

If they keep the adapter short and small that would explain how they can get high wattage without something excessively heavy and huge ala chademo. This is of course assuming the S and X only requires software updates to be able to handle CCS.

Regardless of the style, such an adapter for S/X cars in europe for Type 2 CCS means that there isn't any technical reason why there wouldn't be one for US cars to plug into Type 1 CCS. It would just come down to whenever Tesla wants to release them.

(On a side note I hope down the road Tesla could offer supercharging/CSS adapters for US Tesla owners who move to Europe (US -> Type 2 CCS/Supercharger) at least temporarily, with military being the primary reason. As they can bring their gas cars over and as EVs take over, being able to offer this would be a nice perk that other Evs may not have access to. Of course the actual benefit is small for Tesla itself and there's other issues like LTE access and service center access, but this is just a thought. To prevent abuse by grey market they could link adapter usage to the VIN).

Last edited:
This is of course assuming the S and X only requires software updates to be able to handle CCS.

I'm pretty sure I have seen people say that CCS use the PLY communication standard where Tesla/CHAdeMO use CAN. So it is likely the hardware necessary isn't in the cars. (Or at least the older ones.)

Regardless of the style, such an adapter for S/X cars in europe for Type 2 CCS means that there isn't any technical reason why there wouldn't be one for US cars to plug into Type 1 CCS. It would just come down to whenever Tesla wants to release them.

Unless it is just the Type 1 CCS standard that doesn't allow adapters.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Never said it was. But there was some speculation that the Model 3 might be able to charge faster at a 150+ kW CCS charger than a 120kW supercharger.
It's quite possible they can. Tesla could be limiting it to 120kW until they unveil Supercharging v3. They wouldn't want the competition outperforming the Supercharger network.

It's quite possible they can. Tesla could be limiting it to 120kW until they unveil Supercharging v3. They wouldn't want the competition outperforming the Supercharger network.
You'd think they'd be more interested in demonstrating that the Model 3 can keep up with other cars such as the Audi Etron that'll start deliveries next month in Europe and can charge at 150kW.

You'd think they'd be more interested in demonstrating that the Model 3 can keep up with other cars such as the Audi Etron that'll start deliveries next month in Europe and can charge at 150kW.

Except that the Model 3 doesn't need to "keep up" because in terms of time per km of range the Model 3 would still be ahead, as with the Model X they're equal:

Autobahn Test: Tesla Model X beats Audi e-tron & Jaguar I-Pace - Elektroautos mieten

The higher fuel consumption of the Audi e-tron compared to the Model X 90D results in longer driving time on medium-haul trips. However, on a journey of 1,000 km, the Audi e-tron would be able to compensate for the higher consumption with faster charging power. Both cars would need about 10.5 hours for a distance of 1,000 km. But it should not go unmentioned, that the Tesla Model X 100D, which is the only available Model X, would reach its destination much faster.

I do agree though that it would be nice to at least match the charging rate, which the Model 3 may be able to do, though it wouldn't be able to hold it as long as the e-tron.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod