Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV and Battery Credits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, but they arent going to take the credit away from people who have already purchased. Honestly why are people defending not presenting a benefit to potential customers because they are mad that the 5 seater Model Y currently doesnt get the tax credit. Or are they defending because Tesla can do no wrong and being late in updating is part of some new master plan.
Senario 1:
Tesla puts on their site that 7 seat Y gets credit and 5 seat does not
Person switches order to 7 seat
Treasury retroactively allows 5 seat
Person ___ Tesla

Senario 2:
Tesla puts on their site that 7 seat Y gets credit
Person orders 7 seat Y
Before car is delivered, Treasury issues new guidance triggering mineral and component requirements, credit is halved or zeroed
Person ___ Tesla

Senario 1:
Tesla puts on their site that 7 seat Y gets credit and 5 seat does not
Person switches order to 7 seat
Treasury retroactively allows 5 seat
Person ___ Tesla

Senario 2:
Tesla puts on their site that 7 seat Y gets credit
Person orders 7 seat Y
Before car is delivered, Treasury issues new guidance triggering mineral and component requirements, credit is halved or zeroed
Person ___ Tesla
So your saying Tesla shouldnt tell anyone about the new tax credit. What if people already know.

How does Tesla handle now when someone changes mind? Tesla this past year didnt care that you didnt take delivery of a car. They just cancelled your order and kept deposit. So if Scenario 1 occurred why would that be different?

So your saying Tesla shouldnt tell anyone about the new tax credit. What if people already know.

How does Tesla handle now when someone changes mind? Tesla this past year didnt care that you didnt take delivery of a car. They just cancelled your order and kept deposit. So if Scenario 1 occurred why would that be different?
The key issue I see is if a person acts on information Tesla provided. 7 seat vs 5 seat could be $4.5k in their favor, it could be $7.5k against them.

Tesla could link to the Treasury info page, but that still opens/ sales associates to more questions sbout it, which they can't authoritatively answer.

Wouldn't every 7 seat MY not be eligible due to this:
"The MSRP for this purpose is the base retail price suggested by the manufacturer, plus the retail price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery to the dealer. It does not include destination charges or optional items added by the dealer, or taxes and fees."

Since every vehicle has AP3 hardware installed then the cheapest MY 7-seat MSRP is $84,990. Either Tesla needs to remove the option to buy FSD and only have subscription model, or they need to drop the price another $5k.

Wouldn't every 7 seat MY not be eligible due to this:
"The MSRP for this purpose is the base retail price suggested by the manufacturer, plus the retail price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery to the dealer. It does not include destination charges or optional items added by the dealer, or taxes and fees."

Since every vehicle has AP3 hardware installed then the cheapest MY 7-seat MSRP is $84,990. Either Tesla needs to remove the option to buy FSD and only have subscription model, or they need to drop the price another $5k.
The FSD computer and cameras are not optional.
If needed, Tesla could ship from the factory with a version of software that cannot run FSD, but can be OTA updated.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
The FSD computer and cameras are not optional.
If needed, Tesla could ship from the factory with a version of software that cannot run FSD, but can be OTA updated.
The purchase is optional but the equipment is still physically attached. Just like there was a 100 kWh pack but was software locked to 40 kWh and the vehicle was sold for a lesser price as a workaround to the price cap. Nothing changes physically with a software OTA update to the car.

I really feel like they put that wording into the requirements to screw over Tesla since everyone knows that all Tesla vehicles now come with the hardware to run FSD beta and the current MSRP of that is $15,000

The purchase is optional but the equipment is still physically attached. Just like there was a 100 kWh pack but was software locked to 40 kWh and the vehicle was sold for a lesser price as a workaround to the price cap. Nothing changes physically with a software OTA update to the car.

I really feel like they put that wording into the requirements to screw over Tesla since everyone knows that all Tesla vehicles now come with the hardware to run FSD beta and the current MSRP of that is $15,000
Whereas a 100 kWh pack has more cells than a 40kWh pack (this senario is what I expect are were trying to prevent), there is no FSD hardware vs non-FSD hardware difference. It's standard equipment that is required for federally mandated safety functions. You can't purchase an FSD hardware upgrade so it can't be an attached piece of optional equipment. Even the cameras are required for base functionality.

Humm... Would premium connectivity for life be part of the cost?

Whereas a 100 kWh pack has more cells than a 40kWh pack (this senario is what I expect are were trying to prevent), there is no FSD hardware vs non-FSD hardware difference. It's standard equipment that is required for federally mandated safety functions. You can't purchase an FSD hardware upgrade so it can't be an attached piece of optional equipment. Even the cameras are required for base functionality.

Humm... Would premium connectivity for life be part of the cost?
If there was a 1 time charge for lifetime connectivity then I would assume it would apply but it is subscription only ($10/mo or $100/yr) so I dont see how it could be calculated.

The 1 time charge for the Homelink garage door opener ($350) wouldn't apply since additional hardware is required to be installed. Actually, it makes me think that the $3,000 acceleration boost would be an installed option as well so that would bump the MSRP price to $87,990 😿

If there was a 1 time charge for lifetime connectivity then I would assume it would apply but it is subscription only ($10/mo or $100/yr) so I dont see how it could be calculated.

The 1 time charge for the Homelink garage door opener ($350) wouldn't apply since additional hardware is required to be installed. Actually, it makes me think that the $3,000 acceleration boost would be an installed option as well so that would bump the MSRP price to $87,990 😿
Again, there isn't a different motor, but I had the same thought. Actually, is boost available as a factory option?

Again, there isn't a different motor, but I had the same thought. Actually, is boost available as a factory option?
Maybe if you call and speak with someone you could get it added to the original sale much like the old days when you could order "off the menu" and get the Stealth Performance Model 3. The wording doesn't state anything about it coming from the factory though.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Maybe if you call and speak with someone you could get it added to the original sale much like the old days when you could order "off the menu" and get the Stealth Performance Model 3. The wording doesn't state anything about it coming from the factory though.
Oh geeze, we were overthinking it.
The attached options are the ones actually purchased than aren't part of base price, not unpurchased (but attached) ones.
For purposes of § 30D(f)(11)(A), “manufacturer’s suggested retail price” means the sum of:
(A) the retail price of the automobile suggested by the manufacturer as described in 15 U.S.C. 1232(f)(1); and

(B) the retail delivered price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment, physically attached to such automobile at the time of its delivery to the dealer, which is not included within the price of such automobile as stated pursuant to 15 U.S.C. 1232(f)(1), as described in 15 U.S.C. 1232(f)(2). This information is reported on the label that is affixed to the windshield or side window of the vehicle, as described in 15 U.S.C. 1232.
15 U.S. Code § 1232 - Label and entry requirements
(f) the following information:
(1)
the retail price of such automobile suggested by the manufacturer;

(2)
the retail delivered price suggested by the manufacturer for each accessory or item of optional equipment, physically attached to such automobile at the time of its delivery to such dealer, which is not included within the price of such automobile as stated pursuant to paragraph (1);

• Helpful
Oh geeze, we were overthinking it.
The attached options are the ones actually purchased than aren't part of base price, not unpurchased (but attached) ones.

15 U.S. Code § 1232 - Label and entry requirements
Thanks for finding that, I was very worried but now "This information is reported on the label that is affixed to the windshield or side window of the vehicle" makes it clear that FSD and Acceleration boost wont count if the option isn't on the window sticker. THANKS!

Reactions: mongo