Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV chargers are fuel stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think suburban petrol stations will go the way of video rental stores. Urban stations will likely transform to service people living in high density locations. Chargers will also become standard in car parks and places where you park your car for an extended period of time.

The reality for me after driving an EV for over 2 years, is I hardly ever use a charging station. I top up mainly at home and occasionally at a restaurant, shopping centre, or tourist attraction I am visiting if there is free charging :).

The times I really need a charger is when doing a long distance trip, and then I want the charger to be fast. I think Chargers will replace pumps at free way off-ramp petrol stations. Hopefully they will bundle this together with good coffee and restroom facilities.

What they want is for people to go into their shops and buy food / drinks etc, this is where they make money. The type of energy being dispensed into cars / trucks out the front is irrelevant.
EV owners will be there for longer so more opportunity to sell them things.
Numbers of suburban fuel stations were decreasing long before EV's came along.

Reactions: Wol747
At some point EV owners will work out that they can pay $4 for a small water at a servo or they can go to a small local supermarket and pay half or less. Time will tell, but I think chargers will end up at destinations such as shopping, cinemaā€™s, restaurant precincts, airports etc. Once there is acceptance that you park at these places more than long enough to get a decent charge then a servo, coupled with its extortion rates, wont survive. Once EV uptake becomes significant places like homemaker centres or shopping malls will see a competative advantage opportunity, and in some areaā€™s its already happening.
There is also a company that is designing street furniture with EV charging, so every light pole, bus stop, and parking sign is a potential connection point.

I think others have summed it up well.

Those which are at highway rest stops or have adjoining cafes/fast food places will start to add EV chargers and will eventually change completely.

The suburban petrol stations will decline as there will be mostly no need for them - everyone local will charge at home or work.

Suburban supermarkets will end up filling the gap of the few that cannot - 50 kW is a sweet spot, speed wise, for a once-a-week charge.

The Gridserve link above is a good example of a "future" highway servo. This Circle K in Norway is a good example of one in the progress of pivoting to EVs.