Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charging Single Phase Inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have one of these installed?
I’m researching the installation of extra solar panels and have discovered that SolarEdge have an inverter that can handle smart ev charging. Looking at the specs, the max charge rate is 7.4 kW.
I’d be interested in people’s perspectives on this as a smart charging option when installing new solar.

Seems a bit dumb to me. You HAVE to install your solar inverter where you park your car. There are plenty of other solutions that allow you to monitor your solar export and adjust your charging to suit. I suppose if it was really competitively priced against an inverter plus a charger it might be attractive, but the siting issues would be the first consideration.

I looked into it but mainly due to the fact I have 3 phase power I went with 2 x 3 phase solar edge invertors.

If you have single phase power and can mount the invertor in the garage near where you park I think its a good option.

If you do go ahead, get the solar edge consumption monitoring as well as it is one of the best monitoring systems

Having had the M3 for 3 months now, I’ve been charging from solar as much as possible via the UMC. Haven’t been driving too much.
I have 3 phase at home so it would be a shame to use a single phase charger, even at 32A. But at least it’s available and I want extra solar anyway, so, although slower than 3 phase Zappi, I’ve discovered I don’t usually need speed.

I have micro-invertors, one per panel and over three phase. This provides clean energy to my entire home including my standard car chargers. I choose to then charge my cars when the sun is shining, and I produce more power over a year then we consume. I have an app that tells me the spare capacity in my system, so I use that if unsure about when to charge the cars. Why over complicate it?
I charge 8amps 3 phase. We never run out of battery and I never find need to charge outside of sunshine, other than a couple of occasions in the middle or winter. I dont need super fast charging, but its there if I do.

Reactions: Anubis