Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV-CPO.com CPO Consolidator support thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand approximating prices is a very hand waving thing. But personally I feel like it could be a worthwhile experiment. Probably for 2012, your numbers would be way further off the mark. But at least for 2015, pricing seems to have gotten fairly simple.

You could even apply today's pricing to everything and I think that could be valuable. It would be like saying if you were to build this same (or closest to it) car today, this is how much it would cost you.

and the nice thing is, even if you're off, at least all the cars are judged by the same yard stick so to speak. So your % of MSRP number, while not correct, might still be useful as a side to side comparison tool. For example, hey look, this P85 costs $10k more than this S60, but it's a 40% discount as opposed to only 25%

anyway, more pressingly, when I attempt to login, after a type my password, I instinctively hit Enter on my real keyboard (or Go) on my iPhone. Both seem to default to "I forgot my password" and instead of logging in I instead get a password reminder email.

I understand approximating prices is a very hand waving thing. But personally I feel like it could be a worthwhile experiment. Probably for 2012, your numbers would be way further off the mark. But at least for 2015, pricing seems to have gotten fairly simple.

You could even apply today's pricing to everything and I think that could be valuable. It would be like saying if you were to build this same (or closest to it) car today, this is how much it would cost you.

and the nice thing is, even if you're off, at least all the cars are judged by the same yard stick so to speak. So your % of MSRP number, while not correct, might still be useful as a side to side comparison tool. For example, hey look, this P85 costs $10k more than this S60, but it's a 40% discount as opposed to only 25%

I hear what your saying, but having been in the user-facing web business for a long time, all I can see is endless complaints from people demanding better accuracy or pointing out pricing discrepancies. ESPECIALLY from the types of people on TMC why are very particular/anal/detail oriented/etc who would reject any accuracy disclaimers I may post. It would be a huge data gathering and matching headache, ending up with marginally useful information and opening myself up for users who doubt the accuracy and question the value/price I've assigned to every base model or option to the exact dollar. Nope, sorry, I just can't do that.

anyway, more pressingly, when I attempt to login, after a type my password, I instinctively hit Enter on my real keyboard (or Go) on my iPhone. Both seem to default to "I forgot my password" and instead of logging in I instead get a password reminder email.

Ok, this I fixed. thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

You could even apply today's pricing to everything and I think that could be valuable.

Just one example of this -- the tech package. For the first few years, this was an option that added to the cost. Now it's standard. And Autopilot is the "option". How do I price an older car with that option?

Also, for a while, the second charger was an option bundled with the HPWC for I think $3000 ($1500 each). But neither of those options are available today (from the factory).

There are just too many specific exceptions I'd have to code around, decreasing the accuracy of any MSRP price guestimate.

. ESPECIALLY from the types of people on TMC why are very particular/anal/detail oriented/etc who would reject any accuracy disclaimers I may post.

LOL!! I love that bit

im a long time lurker and infrequently actually post and this is part of the reason.

I totally get get what you're saying. For the sake of argument (cuz I'm detail oriented) the tech pkg would ultimately have zero value on a CPO vehicle. That's IMO kind of good cuz it takes into account the improvements tesla has made over time. If most ppl are deciding between a CPO vs new it could make that more apples to apples.

Im not sure I understand the charger example. But the general rule would be if you don't have to pay for X today, then feature X gets zero value. I'm sure there would be a bunch of corner cases that would be really annoying. But that's why I suggest you should be the one to figure them all out ;-)

just kidding. And I'll drop it!

seriously, your site is super awesome I wouldn't take the time to type this if I didn't feel I owed you something more than the subscription fee.

Not that I'm suggesting Hank build in a MSRP estimator, but if he does, it should be based on current pricing for the market of the car (so US and Canada). This is because ultimately, one should compare the price of a CPO or Inventory car against what they could buy today. There are things you just cannot get today (green paint, etc.), but by and large, the comparison is against what you can. So something like Tech Pkg I would personally count as $5,500 for $3k power liftgate + $2.5k autopilot. But honestly, I'm in Hank's camp of not doing it at all. So many variations and ways to do it, the interested person should hair do it him/herself.

Thinking out loud about how to represent that big tabular search tool on mobile...

First, it seems you could squish some of the columns further:
Location could become 2-3 letter abbreviation as they do for NFL teams and everyone probably would understand NY, SF, CHI, NE, etc

Colors could become swatches? Maybe a white square with a "P" to tell the difference between multicoat vs solid white.

Y/N boxes just become dots for YES and empty for NO (easier to read when zoomed out)

Year: can shrink to 2 digits :)

Also, I was thinking that as you filter on any option, why continue displaying it at all - it's a waste of real estate, right?
For example, once I set roof type to "pano", eliminate that column, making the whole table more readable. Then add a banner somewhere where you list all currently applied filters and you can "X" them out individually if you want them gone. As you apply a few filters might the table quickly become more readable?

Also, it's TOTALLY just me. But I feel like all the columns from AP/TP to Options belong to the right of "Interior". I usually logically put together a car in my mind starting with trim, exterior color, interior color, then roof actually, then wheels, and then all those options.

Sorry for the long write up. I'm cuddling next to a 2 year old as he falls asleep and I tend to get long winded as I lose track of time.

Cheers

Thanks for your subscription and feedback!

I'll try to address each one:

1) Ability to add "NO" search criteria -- I do plan to add this to the Alerts in the future.

2) Column names down at bottom (and Y/N selectors at top too?) -- I've already tried this several different ways -- due to the way the filters are created dynamically, I can't move them to the top.. and likewise, I can't repeat the column names in the footer (you can get one or the other, but not both!).

3) Ability to see ALL entries -- for subscribers, I added a "1000" option to show them all.

4) Ability to edit Alerts -- yes, someday

5) ability to see # of days at each price -- I'll investigate to see about this. The price changes are kind of erratic (frequent and small changes) so I'm not sure how much extra value this would add

6) Original msrp estimator? -- there's no way I could do that.. scratch that - I could do it, it's extremely complicated, prices of each base model and options have changed frequently and significantly over time (also what options were options or standard also changed, and what options were in which package Tech, Premium, Lighting, etc).. so I could do it, but I would assign a confidence level of ZERO and a margin of error 100% to any number created. Any number conjured up this was would be so inaccurate as to be useful in any meaningful manner. Oh, and to add to that, as far as I know, there's no mapping of VIN range to actual MSRP base or option prices (bits and pieces are out there, but not in any complete way). That database would have to be created entirely by user submissions, and would only really work when fully populated with every base model and option price at that time for that VIN. And then, what's the price for VIN doesn't mean that's the same price for VIN +/- 1. The only way to really get the original MSRP is to get the original MVPA for that VIN. Or ask Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

I also wanted to add, that I designed the site to be a desktop/browser app -- I knew that due to the wide table design, and wall of data presented, that using on a phone or small tablet just wouldn't work, so I didn't even try to make it phone-friendly. So if you have problems using on a phone, please realize it wasn't designed for that platform due to the nature of the data presented. It does work pretty well on my iPad mini (and larger), so keep that in mind.

That said, and I've asked previously, if anyone knows of a native mobile app that has a unique way of presenting wide tabular data, please let me know, and I can look into a native app that's easier to use than the desktop browser version.

- - - Updated - - -

and "One more thing...".. I think I fixed the problem with all the cars being reset each night and triggering repeat alerts.

So that shouldn't be a problem any longer.

Thanks Hank!!!

Hank- just paid for subscription but would like to switch alerts to a different email address. Accidentally used my junk email that I don't often monitor and won't send notifications to my phone. Can I get it switched?

Hank, I see this car on the Telsa CPO site, but doesn't appear to be showing on your site. Any idea why? Thanks and keep up the great work!

https://www.teslamotors.com/models/preowned/107976

I noticed this a few weeks ago when I found one that had an "unknown" location. Notice how it doesn't say where it is located. Others have "Located in ..." under the year/odometer/VIN line.
2016-01-13_1248LA.png

2016-01-13_1249unknown.png