Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV incentives, I think it is a complete joke.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
instead of supporting individual needs, they can make most buses EVs
or lower public transportation fare
or build more bus lines and build better clean mass transport system. I said to my friend who has a model s, if you really care about the environment then you will either walk to bike to take buses to work.

i don't see the point of using public tax money to support individual needs, that is just plain wrong. and those in favor of individual rebates or even extending it, must be really narrow minded and poor.

That's exactly what they do, accelerate the replacement of these old polluting bmw with EV. :)

P.S. nobody's perfect, I drive a bmw...

or build more bus lines and build better clean mass transport system. I said to my friend who has a model s, if you really care about the environment then you will either walk to bike to take buses to work.

i don't see the point of using public tax money to support individual needs, that is just plain wrong. and those in favor of individual rebates or even extending it, must be really narrow minded and poor.

What do you think will lessen the carbon footprint more, EV busses or EV cars? Crunch some numbers on how many of each of these exist and get back to me.

Reactions: Jaff

You're thinking as an individual and not a society with different groups. Think about it this way, Yes they could take those EV incentives and use them to make more E-Buses, but that's not going to make anyone with a car want to stop using their ICE and use the bus. If i came to you and told you that now you can ride the bus for free to work instead of driving your M3, you know very well you'd be paying to gas up your BMW. as for your other comment, those who already take public transport take it out of necessity not choice so they'll take it if it runs on gas or battery. However if instead you offset the cost of new EV vehicles those who would just turn around and buy another ICE vehicle can convert to an EV. You have to remember humans are selfish. If you try to encourage change by making their life harder nothing will get done (Unless you're a dictator and can force people to change), it sounds shitty but no one does things for the benefit of the society, you have to play to human emotions instead of logic.

Reactions: Jaff and JimmyAZ
if there is a bus directly from my front door to work, i would take it. so the point being if they keep building the public transportation network then there will be a day when taking a bus is more convenient than driving.

gov can also tax more on gas cars, which i believe they already do, called GG tax. so they can double up on the tax and discourage people from buying big engine cars. then they can use that extra tax money to build more public transportation system which is for sure better for the environment.

you gonna realize in most world class cities, say NYC, you don't really need a car. subway/buses takes you everywhere. that again proves to use public money for individual needs is completely wrong.

You're thinking as an individual and not a society with different groups. Think about it this way, Yes they could take those EV incentives and use them to make more E-Buses, but that's not going to make anyone with a car want to stop using their ICE and use the bus. If i came to you and told you that now you can ride the bus for free to work instead of driving your M3, you know very well you'd be paying to gas up your BMW. as for your other comment, those who already take public transport take it out of necessity not choice so they'll take it if it runs on gas or battery. However if instead you offset the cost of new EV vehicles those who would just turn around and buy another ICE vehicle can convert to an EV. You have to remember humans are selfish. If you try to encourage change by making their life harder nothing will get done (Unless you're a dictator and can force people to change), it sounds shitty but no one does things for the benefit of the society, you have to play to human emotions instead of logic.

I can tell you, when I was lining up at the store, the 14000 is the ONLY reason why there is a line up.
think about it, why would people line up for a car they haven't seen? the only reason is b/c it is CHEAP, and they know deep down inside the rebate won't last forever. as soon as gov sees 10000+ rebate applications in a month they will cut the program without notice.

I also stated, i will be perfectly happy if the gov takes away the program, and makes everyone who received the rebate paying back every single cent.

Don't know why the OP decided to start this thread, considering he bragged about taking advantage of ON's $14K rebate in another thread as the only reason why he's buying a Model 3.

I can tell you, when I was lining up at the store, the 14000 is the ONLY reason why there is a line up.
think about it, why would people line up for a car they haven't seen? the only reason is b/c it is CHEAP, and they know deep down inside the rebate won't last forever. as soon as gov sees 10000+ rebate applications in a month they will cut the program without notice.

I also stated, i will be perfectly happy if the gov takes away the program, and makes everyone who received the rebate paying back every single cent.
You do realize there were people lining up around the world, even in places where there was no incentives, don't you? I don't get a rebate in SK, and I reserved one.

i cannot comment on the rest of the world, especially places where there is no rebate, maybe the price of gas there is super expensive? maybe the big power v8 there have a 200% green levy? There are just way too many factors.

but I do know, every single person standing in the line that day, that morning, knows about the 14000 rebate in Ontario. and every single one of them want it, me included.

I admit I am taking advantage of a stupid gov policy, legally and openly.
but I would never sign a petition to extend that rebate, it is just plain wrong.

You do realize there were people lining up around the world, even in places where there was no incentives, don't you? I don't get a rebate in SK, and I reserved one.

if there is a bus directly from my front door to work, i would take it. so the point being if they keep building the public transportation network then there will be a day when taking a bus is more convenient than driving.

gov can also tax more on gas cars, which i believe they already do, called GG tax. so they can double up on the tax and discourage people from buying big engine cars. then they can use that extra tax money to build more public transportation system which is for sure better for the environment.

you gonna realize in most world class cities, say NYC, you don't really need a car. subway/buses takes you everywhere. that again proves to use public money for individual needs is completely wrong.

You do realize that logistically there is no way for public transport to pick you up at your front door, and at the same time pick up other people and get everyone to work in time, for example for me work is 30 miles west, for my GF work is 35 miles northeast. Logistically there would need to be different work time windows or people would have to move into regions based on where they work, neither of which will ever happen. You'll have better luck at waiting for L4 autonomous transportation on demand (Think self driving Uber).
The other issue with electric public transport is recharge times, right now EVs have the downside of charging times, you can't have a whole bus down because the battery needs to recharge. We can sit here all day long and say that supercharging can offset that but I still can't put 400 mi back into my car in 5 min. Owning an EV comes with inconveniences like that, which a tax incentive helps get people on a car they normally wouldn't think of.

I'll give you the GG tax point, however that tax is not applied to every car and it's a measly $1k which gets included into the lease/loan, which doesn't really discourage anyone from buy a GG. Secondly oil and car manufacturers would shut any higher taxes down in the blink of an eye before it even makes it off the house floor.

last time i checked a forum is used for people to express their opinion, which can mean both + and -
if you feel like you have something to contribute, why don't you spell it out.
as in, why do you think using public tax money to support individual transportation needs is justified.

Koch bother certainly didn't think so.
Can you point me to the forum where you're complaining about how subsidized the oil industry is? Your words here would hold some actual weight if you were equally bothered by the massive amounts of money associated with our dependence on foreign oil.

You do realize that logistically there is no way for public transport to pick you up at your front door, and at the same time pick up other people and get everyone to work in time, for example for me work is 30 miles west, for my GF work is 35 miles northeast. Logistically there would need to be different work time windows or people would have to move into regions based on where they work, neither of which will ever happen. You'll have better luck at waiting for L4 autonomous transportation on demand (Think self driving Uber).
The other issue with electric public transport is recharge times, right now EVs have the downside of charging times, you can't have a whole bus down because the battery needs to recharge. We can sit here all day long and say that supercharging can offset that but I still can't put 400 mi back into my car in 5 min. Owning an EV comes with inconveniences like that, which a tax incentive helps get people on a car they normally wouldn't think of.

I'll give you the GG tax point, however that tax is not applied to every car and it's a measly $1k which gets included into the lease/loan, which doesn't really discourage anyone from buy a GG. Secondly oil and car manufacturers would shut any higher taxes down in the blink of an eye before it even makes it off the house floor.
Yeah that point cracked me up too. When you hate the incentive, but take the incentive. And you push for public transport but will only take it if it picks you up at your door. Your entire argument falls apart. Are you just complaining to complain? Because you're definitely not doing anything to improve the environment in your neck of the woods. I seriously don't get the point of this thread at ALL.

And having owned one of the last V8 M3's, it's fun and fast, but the torque is so disappointing. I've never looked back after I got rid of it.

Reactions: Jaff