Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV parking priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A note on my door indicated that the Volt driver noticed no charging taking effect and called ChargePoint to confirm the station was operating before switching. Apparently my S charged full by the time he had arrived.
There was discussion before that installations should consider installing more charging connectors for each power source and then either round robin between them or charge-til-full in sequence or whatever. I hope we'll see the private sector trying out flavors of this to see this evolve quickly, rather than the heavy hammer of legislation/regulations/etc. from the public sector.

Has someone already made up custom, good looking signs with info we should leave on the windshield in PDF format maybe? Can also just type something else out but thought a consistent message with Tesla logo might be nice.

Went to the Home show in the Tampa Convention Center this weekend and made use of the ChargePoint station in the garage. Came out several hours later to find the charge cord removed and plugged into a Volt in the next slot. A note on my door indicated that the Volt driver noticed no charging taking effect and called ChargePoint to confirm the station was operating before switching.
So how did he know you weren't charging? Doesn't Model S turn off the charge port lights when the car is locked? Does the EVSE display if the car is charging?

So how did he know you weren't charging? Doesn't Model S turn off the charge port lights when the car is locked? Does the EVSE display if the car is charging?

The adapter stays inplace (locked) but the charging handle can be removed. In order to remove the adapter you need to go to the Charging page and touch the unlock button.

Apparently the display indicates no charge, but not having seen it myself, I'll need to verify.

If it was a J1772, then the adapter is locked into the car, but you can still unplug the J.

Exactly.

Obviously with more EV cars the need for more charging is needed, but i feel like there needs to be a level setting of expectations. Most of these Costco, Walgreen charging is free as a marketing ploy to make people think they care about the environment to make you more likely to shop at their location. Because most of the spaces are up closer to the building people will find every excuse possible to park in those reserved spots. My solution would be that if you need a top off charge at these free parking lot chargers, then the charging location should not be in an ideal parking spot. If you need the charge in your car then you will walk half of the parking lot into the store. If you have enough charge to get home then park closer to the building and leave the charging spot open. That way there is not the need to install 50 charging centers at your grocery store because everyone decided to purchase a Prius V that has the loosest definition of a plug in hybrid I have ever seen.

Also for those needing fast charges there needs to be strict enforcement for ICE's, and a fairly expensive "time penalty" based on the amperage of the charger. For instance, if a volt (or a prius V) tries to take a 10KWH charger and can only accept a 3kwh charge, they may not like the fact they are being charged $3.00 an hour. On that same token if that same car is hooked up to the charger for 8 hours even though they topped off the battery in the first 20 minutes how many people will do that again for a $25 charging bill.

The point is free charges are a luxury and if they continue to be located in convent spots any Tom Dick and Harry with a 110 volt plug is going to find an excuse to park there. There needs to be more high amperage pay-per-use chargers that have stiff enforcement and cost penalties associated with misguided behaviors so that those BEV cars that absolutely need power to get home have an option. I think it is fine that a PHEV uses the time to take advantage of free charging, but if they need that power they need to be willing to sacrifice just a little luxury to get it.

I hate to sound harsh

The chargers are located in spots close the building because that's where the electricity is. It's more convenient for them to install chargers closer to the building than to dig a trench across a whole parking lot just to put the charger in the back spot.

with a copy of the state law saying they could be towed for doing what they're doing.
Maybe you've posted it elsewhere, so sorry for the request, but can you please post that law here? :redface:

- - - Updated - - -

Many of the local LA EV owners have suggested the LAX put in 100 plugs at 120V each. That makes more sense for longer stays like airports which are usually overnights.
As far as I know, the charging at LAX will still be free. It is the parking that costs a lot. I'll venture a guess that with no longer it being free parking that the charging stalls will, once again, have plenty of openings. Additionally, it was budget crunch that forced LAX's hand so I'm not sure if the time is ripe to ask them to install a bunch of plugs. But its a nice wish list. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

The signs clearly read that it was a charging station and not just a preferred parking spot.
Can you please post a picture of that sign? :confused:

The chargers are located in spots close the building because that's where the electricity is. It's more convenient for them to install chargers closer to the building than to dig a trench across a whole parking lot just to put the charger in the back spot.

Yes, its probably cheaper and faster to wire off the main building to power the chargers, but in the same token most parking lots are already wired for lights, security camera's, traffic signals and utility power lines. Burying a small transmission cable to an EV charger station on the other side of the lot is going to be a small investment. As a business i don't really want to spend my time and effort enforcing those spots because someone parked there for 3 hours and someone else needs the spot so they can get home. As a business I don't want my investment that is supposed to bring customers in causing a conflict and negative image. If that happens i would rather not offer a charging station.

These spots tend to be so close to the building that anyone is going to find any excuse possible to utilize it without regard for need of charge. You could install the chargers to the back of the building, but that looses visibility of the charger which defeats the purpose of the marketing ploy the companies use to justify the expense of the charger.

I usually post one of these under the offenders windshield when I am ICED--one when a am driving alone, the other when my wife is with me. Guess which is which!

=================================================

Yo! Youse has parked in a spot for Electric Cars only--while charging. If youse does it again, Luigi will have a ‘word’ wit youse!
---Tony Soprano
==================================================
DON’T GET
TOWED Dear Driver:
On January 1, 2012, a new law (AB 475 Butler) went into
effect which states: “Electric vehicles (EVs) must now be
plugged in for refueling when occupying an EV designated
parking space, otherwise they may be towed. In addition,
the law prohibits a person from obstructing, blocking, or
otherwise barring access to an EV-designated parking space.”
http://www.chp.ca.gov/pdf/media/11-40.pdf
This is a friendly note to make you aware of this new law.
Thank you,
Plug In America is working hard to expand EV charging including
a better use of shared infrastructure.
===========================================

The last one I have in a nice PDF from Plug In America. Is there a way to post it here? Anyhow, someone sent it to me and I couldn't find it on the Plug in America site so if you want it PM me and give my your email and I will send you a copy.