Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evasive action - FSD only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure most of you have seen videos of Tesla's taking impressive evasive action to avoid a collision. I've seen dramatic breaking and also swerving briefly into another lane or the shoulder.

Are these actions only available using NOA with FSD?

Or, will the car respond similarly with AutoSteer engaged (i.e., no FSD)?

I really doubt FSD or autopilot did these evasive manoeuvers. I bet the collision warning went off and the driver manoeuvred.

Tesla autopilot can't even drive 30 km without several phantom brakes because it thought it saw stuff. It still drives through stationary objects on the road. I doubt it suddenly got the ability to do this. That would be plain dangerous given its number of false positives.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and DrtyJrze
I really doubt FSD or autopilot did these evasive manoeuvers. I bet the collision warning went off and the driver manoeuvred.

Tesla autopilot can't even drive 30 km without several phantom brakes because it thought it saw stuff. It still drives through stationary objects on the road. I doubt it suddenly got the ability to do this. That would be plain dangerous given its number of false positives.

There are documented cases of Teslas with FSD dodging traffic cones: Tesla Autopilot steers around rogue barrier at construction site with ease

It's not out of the realm of imagination that FSD is capable of maneuvering to evade collisions with objects the network can currently identify (pedestrians, vehicles, cones, and bins).

I was cruising at about 75mph in the center of 3 lanes with AP engaged (I don't have FSD) when someone decided to change into my lane (at around 85-90mph estimated) without enough room.

Before I could react warnings (audible and on the screen) alarmed, the car hit the brakes and moved (partially) into the adjacent lane.

There are documented cases of Teslas with FSD dodging traffic cones: Tesla Autopilot steers around rogue barrier at construction site with ease

It's not out of the realm of imagination that FSD is capable of maneuvering to evade collisions with objects the network can currently identify (pedestrians, vehicles, cones, and bins).
I've also seen it treating traffic cones as lane markings, and steering away from them when I drive sometimes. Other times I've had to take over because it was about to hit them. I've never seen autosteer doing anything drastic, and I kinda doubt it can do so given the reliability of emergency braking. I'll be happy to find somewhere to try with my car though.