Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eventual performance boost option for LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I could give Tesla $2,000 in exchange for getting 0.4 or 0.5 second reduction in 0-60 (and speaking only for myself), I think I would be happy/complete with this car... I wanted the Model 3 for it's 4.4 second *zip*. My wife wanted the Y for it's hatchback and second-row legroom for the kids... she (obviously) won out. If I still get my 4.4 (or even 4.3?) second 0-60, for $2k more, everyone wins, particularly after snagging the $3k price reduction after already having ordered at the higher price.

I'm supposed to take delivery on Wednesday, and my test drive only involved a Performance Model Y and a LR AWD Model 3 for side-by-side (all they had; I'd requested LR AWD of both via online form for a better apples-to-apples comparison), but I read and hear talk about how the LR AWD MY might be (software) limited from 0-10 or so before showing good pickup the rest of the way to 60... feels like something they might be able to just *fix* (for maybe $2k?) via a software update...?

Would need to be 4 seconds flat for me to consider parting with Penny one.
Different strokes for different folks n'at.

I'm fully aware that their is *more* different between LR AWD and PUP, and again, speaking only for myself, but I didn't personally value (very much) the look/aesthetic differences. I know some do. A lot. The reason I considered Performance was pretty much exclusively for the speed increase. "I give you $10,000, you give me 1.3 seconds better 0-60."

As I understand it, when $8k bought you a 1.2 second improvement in 0-60 for M3 (LR AWD to Performance), $2k improved the LR AWD by 0.5 seconds via software... which seems like a pretty good deal to me. I'd leap at something like that, if they offer it to me for my Y. "Here, take my money."

If I could give Tesla $2,000 in exchange for getting 0.4 or 0.5 second reduction in 0-60 (and speaking only for myself), I think I would be happy/complete with this car... I wanted the Model 3 for it's 4.4 second *zip*. My wife wanted the Y for it's hatchback and second-row legroom for the kids... she (obviously) won out. If I still get my 4.4 (or even 4.3?) second 0-60, for $2k more, everyone wins, particularly after snagging the $3k price reduction after already having ordered at the higher price.

I'm supposed to take delivery on Wednesday, and my test drive only involved a Performance Model Y and a LR AWD Model 3 for side-by-side (all they had; I'd requested LR AWD of both via online form for a better apples-to-apples comparison), but I read and hear talk about how the LR AWD MY might be (software) limited from 0-10 or so before showing good pickup the rest of the way to 60... feels like something they might be able to just *fix* (for maybe $2k?) via a software update...?

performance 3
performance Y
dual motor 3
dual motor Y

Order of quickness. Just so you know... the dual motor Y is already 4.5 - 4.59 with the 1ft rollout. Tesla is very misleading in that they quote the 0-60 of their performance cars with a rollout. The non performance cars, the 0-60 doesn't incldue rollout. Rollout usually shaves .2-.3 seconds off. To be honest, I'm still trying to determine if a really fast Y even makes sense. It didn't in my test drive. Fast 3 - yes that makes sense, because its a more dynamic, sport oriented, vehicle.

Reactions: psuKinger
Personally, I don't take much value in 0-60 times. I prefer looking at the quarter mile times and the MPH. 0-60 is more about grip and in ICE vehicles, gearing. That's why a lot of manual vehicles, 2nd gear tops out at around 62-65 mph to avoid that one additional shift into 3rd gear.

Different strokes for different folks n'at.

I'm fully aware that their is *more* different between LR AWD and PUP, and again, speaking only for myself, but I didn't personally value (very much) the look/aesthetic differences. I know some do. A lot. The reason I considered Performance was pretty much exclusively for the speed increase. "I give you $10,000, you give me 1.3 seconds better 0-60."

As I understand it, when $8k bought you a 1.2 second improvement in 0-60 for M3 (LR AWD to Performance), $2k improved the LR AWD by 0.5 seconds via software... which seems like a pretty good deal to me. I'd leap at something like that, if they offer it to me for my Y. "Here, take my money."
10K difference I would totally part with half for stealth perf or 1.5-2K for 4s flat.

Personally, I don't take much value in 0-60 times. I prefer looking at the quarter mile times and the MPH. 0-60 is more about grip and in ICE vehicles, gearing. That's why a lot of manual vehicles, 2nd gear tops out at around 62-65 mph to avoid that one additional shift into 3rd gear.
To each his own, but 1/4 mile time is rarely more valuable than 0-60 imo. Particularly for anyone looking at MY.

0-60 times aren’t perfect, but are the best proxy for functional torque, HP, and grip that’s widely available. I frequently need to rapidly accelerate to around 60 mph

Reactions: psuKinger
To each his own, but 1/4 mile time is rarely more valuable than 0-60 imo. Particularly for anyone looking at MY.

0-60 times aren’t perfect, but are the best proxy for functional torque, HP, and grip that’s widely available. I frequently need to rapidly accelerate to around 60 mph

+1 and put me down for this.
Turning onto highways from a dead stop, or merging into them slower speeds, and being able to get up to 60 or 70 mph quickly, is super useful to me.
Romping on the accelerator on a quiet short straight stretch when nobody's around and getting up to speed fast is fun.
I rarely drive over 80 mph. I never drive over 90 mph. The kind of speeds you end up at after going as fast as you can for a full 1/4 mile have very little use/meaning for me and my driving habits, personally...

30-70, 50-70 times seem like a better indicator for most real world situations. I guess my area lacks highways where you have to merge from a complete stop. The only place I see this are in metro areas during rush hour and speeds aren't more than 25-30 mph, if that.

30-70, 50-70 times seem like a better indicator for most real world situations. I guess my area lacks highways where you have to merge from a complete stop. The only place I see this are in metro areas during rush hour and speeds aren't more than 25-30 mph, if that.
But your area doesn’t lack for 1/4 mile sprints? What area of the country is 0-60’s application limited to metro rush hour traffic at low speeds? Count how many times in a day you go from a stop to a speed between 0-60. It’ll be (much)more than how many times you drive unimpeded and unrestricted for 1/4 mile.

I wish those times were standard metrics on cars. Maybe as more EVs become popular, they will. Instantaneous passing ability with no skill required is a huge perk of EVs, and a way to differentiate EVs from the best of ICE, but also from other EVs. Until then, 0-60 is the best indication imo. 1/4 is so irrelevant to most people that there’s often a lack of the context needed for comparisons.

To me the performance trim is not regrettable. We value performance, anyone asking the question likely does too. Otherwise I’d buy a legacy EV with better fit and finish. Either trim and I’m going to fret about spending way more than I need to a car than I need to. With the performance trim, at least I don’t have to ever answer if I also spent more than I need to while also being cheap.