Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything Electric Sydney (February 9-10-11, 2024)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw 3 electric zero turn ride on mowers at Bunning
Yes they are the Ryobi brand.

They look good but not yet up to my current ICE-ZTM which is a 60" fabricated steel cutting deck and 31hp ICE (1L engine). This converts to approx 20kW power output. Some power loss will occur through power transfer to cutting blades via belts and to rear wheel drive via hydraulic transmission.

Back of napkin calculation. Assuming 20% power losses in my current ICE-ZTM, a 20kW engine power output becomes 16kW net usable.

The Ryobi $13K model has a 54" stamped cutting deck like the standard push mowers . Non fabricated - means easier to break/crack -) and has 3.6kW cutting power and 2kW drive power. Total 5.6kW. So I suspect a little underpowered. (Total battery capacity = 3.6kWh).

However won't be long
E-ZTM are going to be the next thing.
Direct drive motors for each cutting blade and each rear wheel. In an EV-ZTM there would be 5 motors. (3 cutting blades and 2 rear wheels) No more drive belts or hydraulics, engine oil. Modular hot swop batteries will ensure unlimited run time.

My current ICE-ZTM

Last edited:
time factor.
Time factor is absolutely important. I mow only on weekends👍. Though battery "range" not an issue if it has modular hot swop.

The usual "quoted" run time is acreage per single battery charge (ie no swop required). The faster the blade speed is set, the lower the acreage per battery. They always quote based on low blade speed and high drive speed because the blades use most of the battery charge. They don't quote on high blade speed and high drive speed. My current ZTM can actually cut through 15cm grass down to 2cm at max speed (just under 20km/hr) without stalling But that's with 20kW delivered power and ? maybe 16kW net usable.

The "mowing more regularly" is not attractive as I won't be changing my mowing routine to suit the mower. I hate mowing - it's a PITA.

Reactions: johnchidgey
automated/ robot electric mowers
There are automated ICE-ZTM in the US with GPS guidance - much like a lot of machine harvesters these days. No AI which allows it to think about obstructions, bends yet. Apparently they are very accurate in a straight line.

I also saw some mini robot mowers when I visited the Moesgaard Museum near Aarhus DK. They were slightly bigger than the circular domestic vacuums but dumb - they bump into an obstruction and just changes direction randomly. They were not very good. I would be very happy if someone like Tesla makes an Optimus type E lawn mower with enough AI to just mow that damn lawn. They would need less power if automated means not carrying the weight of a driver, seat, driver controls. And instead of one massive unit, perhaps a "swarm" of small ones

Last edited:
Just back from Everything Electric… ended up spending most of the day there.

The Sydney Showground venue is more spacious than the ICC last year, allowing people to spread out a bit. A lot more vehicle exhibitors too. But being Friday, probably not as busy today as it will be on the weekend. Still, there was a decent crowd in attendance.

Some pics below. Vehicle exhibitors that weren’t there last year include Audi, BMW, Hyundai, Genesis, Peugeot and Renault. The most notable absence was BYD, who was there last year. Did someone offend them? 🤔

IMG_5282.jpeg

IMG_5284.jpeg

IMG_5285.jpeg

IMG_5286.jpeg

IMG_5287.jpeg

IMG_5289.jpeg

IMG_5291.jpeg

IMG_5297.jpeg

Reactions: Davemcd and B3AU
Ref the mower, that was in 'Electric Alley', no one was there to give any info on what was on display. There was also an electric Polaris. No F150 Lightning though.
TOCA stand was busy, M3 Highland was there.
Talked to one of the NRMA people about the charger in the displayed roadside assistance vehicle, he said it had been used twice.
Yes the Dome at the Showgrounds is about a million times better as a venue.

OK I posted a bunch of pics with no commentary, so here’s some of my takeaways:
  • I was not super impressed with most of the other EVs on display. A heavy bias towards brick-like SUV form factors, of which I am not a fan, and which are not noted for their efficiency (as one of the panellists at one of the GigaTheatre sessions seemed to enjoy pointing out).
  • A lot of EVs still have transmission tunnels in the back seat row. WTH?
  • The GWM Ora is a rather bare-bones EV but could suit those who actually want a small car at the budget EV end.
  • A lot of EVs are still hung up on lots of dash buttons, in all sorts of weird and wonderful arrangements.
  • My wife was most impressed with the Cupra Born. We didn’t test drive one though.
  • We went to 4 talks, I thought the quality of the panelists was better this year than last. Actual experts on the chairs, whose day job is in the industry, and not just “YouTubers” with opinions and not much else.
  • I attended an Evie customer session, with Geoff Brady (Evie COO) asking 4 customers on a panel whether they supported idle fees or not. All of them said unequivocally “yes”.
  • EVX is hoping to double the number of pole chargers installed in NSW this year.
  • The NSW Government will open Round 3 of the Fast Charging Grants later this year, which will apparently complete the programme based on current funding commitments. I asked them whether the Government is “knocking Departmental heads together” to unblock the approvals and connection processes with the CPOs, which can apparently take up to 18 months. They claimed the various Government and DNSP entities are working together more closely but they weren’t going to cop all the blame, they said some still lies with the CPOs who may not necessarily provide all of the required information in a timely manner.
  • Apparently the next announcement of pole chargers to serve city areas where offstreet parking is limited will be “big” and is not that far away.
  • There seemed to be fewer non-vehicle exhibitors this year than last, which is ironic given the new “Everything Electric” moniker. But perhaps it was a similar level, but seemed diluted due to the larger number of vehicle exhibitors this year.
  • The two tiny solar houses were quite impressive - worth a look.

Last edited: