Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything Electric Sydney (February 9-10-11, 2024)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the old ChargePoint units in the ICC car park have been replaced with NRMA branded Ocular dual units (7kW) with 5m cables, just in time for the show!

Attachments

• IMG_4666.jpg
    IMG_4666.jpg
    919.2 KB · Views: 68
Ill drop in on Saturday morning for a couple of hours, then come back on Sunday..
I'll also try and make the TOCA dinner on Saturday night, but touch and go for that one as I have a cricket semi final to win in the afternoon. I'll take the long handle and hopefully wrap it up by 5
;)

Reactions: Hairyman and Vostok
I had at great day at Fully Charged Live. I rocked up at about 10:30 having no idea whether this event would be a massive flop or a smash hit… to be met with a nearly 400m queue of people to get in 😱 doing a loop of Level 4 and snaking down the steps to Level 3!

The queue moved pretty quickly though and 15 minutes later I was in. Lots of people inside an a good buzz. Some photos below.

”Off the record” tidbits from talking to various exhibitors:
  • NRMA plan to have their App out roughly midyear, and will commence charging for charging™ once that happens. Members will get a discount but “free” will be gone.
  • New NRMA sites will use the Kempower hardware (photo below)
  • EVX plan to install 200-300 pole mounted kerbside chargers in Sydney this year. The hardware is made locally. They say the box is as big as it is in order to comply with Ausgrid electrical safety requirements but they would not reveal more than that. Reserving ports is a feature that is coming. Where they put the chargers is dictated a lot by what the local council wants. I suggested residential streets without offstreet parking is where most should go, not primarily cafe strips or local attractions.
  • Evie plan to double the size of their network this year. They ended 2022 with 100 sites, so they want to do another 100 this year. Tritium spare parts supply has apparently improved and repair times are shortening. They are acutely aware of the negative impact broken chargers have and hate it as much as the drivers do.
  • No sight of the VW ID.Buzz. Allegedly at stand A10, but that was in fact the Australian Electric Vehicle Council stand. But lots of other EVs on display of course, mostly private vehicles though (in Electric Alley) as most of the manufacturers actually declined to attend and have stands. Really it was only the Chinese brands that did - BYD, MG, Polestar, LDV.
The live theatre sessions were pretty good and well attended, I attended three of them.

From my perspective it looked like the event was a big success and hopefully it will become an annual event!

Photo highlights

This joint was jumpin’…
17009CA6-A302-4C5B-A723-B73F80020965.jpeg

Panel session - ”How far is Tesla ahead and can it be caught”? Panellist conclusion was roughly “a lot” and “no”.
C3272CAC-DE60-4FAB-BA81-6CAA84E275A4.jpeg

ABB Formula-E racecar
5EEC70AE-7930-4D4B-8B36-6083AC9B35BC.jpeg

Polestar 2 stand… it’s a pretty good looking vehicle. The centre console is massively intrusive though. A bit much, methinks.
E94A6E0B-A1EC-489A-9391-8CB277E69740.jpeg

BYD stand
CE147CB2-E749-4510-96CB-3419861AC736.jpeg

MG stand
C64ACC0A-7253-4E27-B75F-E0DD9DD8E401.jpeg

Evie stand
3D40AABA-64D0-49CC-A89B-5E1AF8B786FE.jpeg

NRMA fast charging network map… not sure if this is recently updated
41F2818B-2745-42B6-9F28-E54E0905790E.jpeg

What the NRMA Kempower sites will look like. Liquid cooled cables.
17BB1B48-D532-426B-B59F-658E3FE18293.jpeg

And the official ending of the weekend 🤣
8ED7DF37-0CFD-43FF-A83A-3C78A338B0FB.jpeg

Shame that an NRMA is still months off (and that they seemingly won't be using Chargefox).
Yeah, shows a lot of faith in the charging network that they own, when they won't eat their own dogfood.
The map is interesting including the Chargefox 350kW chargers, but excluding the SA ones in Berri and Tanunda (though that has been down for a while)
The cross-border routes are oddly lacking - doesn't show the New England Hwy route across the border, for example, even though there's DC charging in Warwick.

I went for an hour and a half today. I'd give it a 6.5 / 10. Scored down because:
- no ID buzz,
- no cupra born
- in fact, none of the big EV makers: Tesla, Kia, Hyundai, VW, ...rivian, ford.
- no ebikes.
- no real industry experts, just you-tubers.

Still worth going, and I'll be there tomorrow.

I went for an hour and a half today. I'd give it a 6.5 / 10. Scored down because:
- no ID buzz,
- no cupra born
- in fact, none of the big EV makers: Tesla, Kia, Hyundai, VW, ...rivian, ford.
- no ebikes.
- no real industry experts, just you-tubers.

Still worth going, and I'll be there tomorrow.
The Cupra Born was there, blue with gold accents, can’t remember which stand though. It was inside in the main area.
Industry ‘experts’ from NRMA, Origin, EV Council, Polestar and others are there, depends on which talks you go to.
I asked a question at the Electric Car Home talk and I think I got the representatives from Origin and Myenergi to talk about smart charges that can receive notifications from the grid to make charging at cheaper times easier, so I thought it was a useful day. Going back tomorrow to see if I can get a 1 to 1 with a home energy person.

The Cupra Born was there, blue with gold accents, can’t remember which stand though. It was inside in the main area.
Industry ‘experts’ from NRMA, Origin, EV Council, Polestar and others are there, depends on which talks you go to.
I'll look out for the cupra today.
Another absentee was janus trucks who fully charged just did a show on.

And Tritium who also featured in a recent episode.
(Although I'm not sure any local staff would want to man the stand)
Interesting juxtaposition with tritium on the YouTube show saying they are very reliable and it's only networks which don't pay for support, and then NRMA at the live show saying they pay for full support.
What gives?