Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And you’re either too dense or too clueless to comprehend an abstract concept like safety. Glad I’m no where near Texas.

The reading comes from the sensors. The computer does the monitoring, except it doesn’t really monitor, it’s a binary alert that triggers at a set pressure. If you actually want to monitor you need to see the actual pressures.
I can only assume you are selling your lethally dangerous Tesla immediately? If not, then give it a rest about safety! Your scenarios you paint for your needs are so far off the normal they are simply not worth bothering with.

Yes. I’m reminded of a quote by Mark Twain -
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Unfortunately we’ve been brought down to a lower level….
If you are at my level now, as you see it, it's because you belong there and likely were always there. You just 'thought' you were at a higher level but the reality is you never were.

I have no problem you calling me an idiot. You think it will bother me but it really doesn't. Your insecurity with your own intellect is your affair.

Now go and chill as you seem to be getting flustered! LOL

• Disagree
Reactions: COS Blue
I can only assume you are selling your lethally dangerous Tesla immediately? If not, then give it a rest about safety! Your scenarios you paint for your needs are so far off the normal they are simply not worth bothering with.
You keep repeating this and i'm frankly wondering if you actually don't get it or are just being daft.

it's been shown in multiple studies (if you care, just search in this thread) that taking your eyes off the road is a) yes, dangerous, and b) every distraction takes time to regain full awareness of your surroundings. in other words, even if you take your eyes off the road for one second, you don't regain full concentration and situational awareness immediately, and the actual length of distraction — meaning you literally have no idea what is going on around you and therefore can't react to it — is longer than one second. and at higher speeds, mere seconds can indeed mean the difference between life and death.

are you genuinely arguing with any of the above? if so, there's no point in continuing this discussion further, as we might as well argue whether 2+2=4.

so yes, a function that one is bound to use (such as a defogger) being buried in more levels of the menu which requires the driver to take their eyes off the road more times (once per tap) or for a longer period of time (to do multiple taps) is objectively more dangerous. since you live in a climate where you never need to use this, clearly in your mind the tradeoff of increased distraction and danger is worth it to you. though the thing i'm not entirely clear on is…what is the benefit in this tradeoff exactly? telling other people that they are being needlessly hysterical?

it's not how long it takes the windshield to clear after you turn it on, it's how dangerous it is to be distracted by the controls in the middle of a snowstorm with an iced up windshield when you can barely see the road.
This is exactly right. Happened to me last weekend driving to the mountains in a snowstorm. White-knuckle driving conditions, and yes, all of a sudden the window started fogging up. First, I hesitated to even turn on the defogger because I knew it was going to take my eyes off the road for longer than I wanted. But the windshield kept getting foggier. In the V10 days I could easily glance at the (relatively) big defogger button and tap it quite quickly. Almost no time looking away from the road. Now I have to tap the temp control... as others have said, depending on exactly where I touch it, I might get the mini-controls, or I might get the full controls. Now look back at the road to make sure I don't drive off it. Meanwhile windshield is still getting foggier. Now look back and tap the defogger, which still requires more precision than it used to, because the button is now kinda in the middle of the screen instead of nested at the bottom.

Not to mention if you get the mini-controls, if you don't click the defogger quickly enough, the controls go away and you have to start over.

Voice controls would not have worked, I was in the middle of nowhere, no cell coverage. And I wouldn't be sure what to say, anyway.

It was a bit nerve-wracking. I did not crash, but that does not mean it's safe. The old way was absolutely safer.

This is exactly right. Happened to me last weekend driving to the mountains in a snowstorm. White-knuckle driving conditions, and yes, all of a sudden the window started fogging up. First, I hesitated to even turn on the defogger because I knew it was going to take my eyes off the road for longer than I wanted. But the windshield kept getting foggier. In the V10 days I could easily glance at the (relatively) big defogger button and tap it quite quickly. Almost no time looking away from the road. Now I have to tap the temp control... as others have said, depending on exactly where I touch it, I might get the mini-controls, or I might get the full controls. Now look back at the road to make sure I don't drive off it. Meanwhile windshield is still getting foggier. Now look back and tap the defogger, which still requires more precision than it used to, because the button is now kinda in the middle of the screen instead of nested at the bottom.

Not to mention if you get the mini-controls, if you don't click the defogger quickly enough, the controls go away and you have to start over.

Voice controls would not have worked, I was in the middle of nowhere, no cell coverage. And I wouldn't be sure what to say, anyway.

It was a bit nerve-wracking. I did not crash, but that does not mean it's safe. The old way was absolutely safer.
I experienced this exact scenario shortly after installing V11 - twisty mountain road, no cell service (why Tesla doesn't have enough processing power to handle voice commands locally but can play video games is beyond me), a rapidly fogging windshield, and trying to locate and press the defroster button on the pop up window without running off the road. Totally brain dead design by people who stare at computer screens all day and never actually drive. Oh, that's right, all input is error and the car knows best.

Don't get me wrong - I love the car. But the UI keeps trending in the wrong direction. Maybe Elon's plan is to make driving the car yourself such a miserable experience everyone will be forced to buy FSD.

The good news is v11 is a great update to v10. It is just as safe, much better to look at and most of the users prefer it (unless I see other negative comments from about 300,000 different people which is unlikely!). So, if you don't like it due to your personal UI preferences then that's fine by me.
You keep repeating this and i'm frankly wondering if you actually don't get it or are just being daft.

it's been shown in multiple studies (if you care, just search in this thread) that taking your eyes off the road is a) yes, dangerous, and b) every distraction takes time to regain full awareness of your surroundings. in other words, even if you take your eyes off the road for one second, you don't regain full concentration and situational awareness immediately, and the actual length of distraction — meaning you literally have no idea what is going on around you and therefore can't react to it — is longer than one second. and at higher speeds, mere seconds can indeed mean the difference between life and death.

are you genuinely arguing with any of the above? if so, there's no point in continuing this discussion further, as we might as well argue whether 2+2=4.

so yes, a function that one is bound to use (such as a defogger) being buried in more levels of the menu which requires the driver to take their eyes off the road more times (once per tap) or for a longer period of time (to do multiple taps) is objectively more dangerous. since you live in a climate where you never need to use this, clearly in your mind the tradeoff of increased distraction and danger is worth it to you. though the thing i'm not entirely clear on is…what is the benefit in this tradeoff exactly? telling other people that they are being needlessly hysterical?
I am arguing that v11 is no more dangerous than v10. You don't need to take your eyes of the road to swipe up on a screen. Not going into this with another v11 hater. Your preference and apparent inability to swipe up from anywhere on the bottom of the screen without having to take your eyes off the road to look at your hand swiping, are your concern, not mine nor the hundreds of thousand that seemingly don't have this concern.

But as you say, let's not bother going into it again. I am apparently Superman to you guys by being able to swipe up without looking. No problem.

it's not the swipe up that's the problem, it's having to look at the location of where the defogger button is afterwards. since the panel isn't up (and doesn't stay up), you can't target it until you swipe. and even after that it's in the middle of the screen.

if you can memorize where the button is before you see the display and can hit the button without having to take your eyes off the road then yeah…you are superman indeed. :rolleyes:

Your preference and apparent inability to swipe up from anywhere on the bottom of the screen without having to take your eyes off the road to look at your hand swiping, are your concern, not mine
But it is your concern. You have to share the road with us. Even if you can turn on the defogger with your eyes closed, that's not going to help you when one of us mortals takes our eyes off the road for too long and then hits you.

Kind of like autopilot & FSD. I might not be worried about myself getting into a crash using those functions because I have already decided it is not very trustworthy. I'm worried about some other Tesla driver who has drank the Kool-aid running into me or my kids because they have put their trust into a deeply flawed system. That, perhaps, is what you might want to be concerned about.

This has got to be one of the most asinine statements I've ever seen.
Yes I agree it was written with a little vinegar. Just exasperation of dealing with people who think their personal preference for UI is the only safe way to drive. I have yet to see proof that after a month v11 is more dangerous than v10. I have yet to read about personal injury due to looking for a defogger button. When I start to see facts over personal likes then I may change my tune but until then I will continue with v11 being just as safe as v10 and for many, safer!

Last edited:
But it is your concern. You have to share the road with us. Even if you can turn on the defogger with your eyes closed, that's not going to help you when one of us mortals takes our eyes off the road for too long and then hits you.

Kind of like autopilot & FSD. I might not be worried about myself getting into a crash using those functions because I have already decided it is not very trustworthy. I'm worried about some other Tesla driver who has drank the Kool-aid running into me or my kids because they have put their trust into a deeply flawed system. That, perhaps, is what you might want to be concerned about.
Let's see the stats before we invent accidents...Teslas are very safe cars as the numbers tell.

Yes I agree it was written with a little vinegar. Just exasperation of dealing with people who think their personal preference for UI is the only safe way to drive. I have yet to see proof that after a month v11 is more dangerous than v10. I have yet to read about personal injury due to looking for a defogger button. When I start to see facts over personal likes then I may change my tune but until then I will continue with v11 being just as safe as v10 and for many, safer!
What is the benefit of turning on the HVAC to check/control the seat warmers?

Reactions: Ciaopec and M3-Ita
I have yet to see proof that after a month v11 is more dangerous than v10. I have yet to read about personal injury due to looking for a defogger button
You have yet to 'see proof' because you are blind to facts, logic and reason. Despite thousands of posts on multiple sites complaining you claim 'the overwhelming majority of people love V11.' Professional bloggers and journalists have been critical of it, yet you ignore their critiques, rationalizing your delusions with feeble excuses like "it's only haters that post online anyway."

Your arguments are akin to people who argue against global warming. For years they said "it's not real," even when the evidence was clear. Then when it became undeniable, they changed the argument to "there's no proof that humans caused it." But the proof they want is impossible to produce and so they keep their heads in the sand.

Let us know when you get tire of the sand in your eyes and ears, little ostrich.

You have yet to 'see proof' because you are blind to facts, logic and reason. Despite thousands of posts on multiple sites complaining you claim 'the overwhelming majority of people love V11.' Professional bloggers and journalists have been critical of it, yet you ignore their critiques, rationalizing your delusions with feeble excuses like "it's only haters that post online anyway."

Your arguments are akin to people who argue against global warming. For years they said "it's not real," even when the evidence was clear. Then when it became undeniable, they changed the argument to "there's no proof that humans caused it." But the proof they want is impossible to produce and so they keep their heads in the sand.

Let us know when you get tire of the sand in your eyes and ears, little ostrich.
Let us know when you sell your Tesla and move on.

Now I could just say something like 'I am so glad v11 is here as it is superior to v10 and it makes me chuckle to think the hardcore haters here just have to suck it up and deal with it' but I won't. I'll just say v11 is here to stay so get used to it or go buy another brand! Byeeeee