Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I wasn't clear...there will be a huge tax for people who insist on driving gas cars ON TOP of any other tax that EV users will also share. It won't be a replacement, but an 'additional' tax. I can almost guarantee that will be the case.

As for iPad with wheels, you are being disingenuous. The car I drive is every bit as much a car as say a VW GTI or BMW M3...only better for the environment, better for future generations and cheaper for me to run. Importantly, it is just as much fun to drive without annoying everyone with rasping overly loud engine sounds and noxious gases.

I also get that Teslas are not for you. It seems you made a choice without sufficient research. Of course, that level of research isn't required to move from a Ford to a BMW as most other brands are homogenous in terms of their controls being switches and dials...that WILL change I can almost guarantee it, as it saves lots of money for car manufacturers to throw in a screen and do away with buttons and switches etc. As the older generation dies out and the younger generation comes in, dependence on the 'traditional' car controls will fade. Tesla are just accelerating this demise.

As for a loss of £5b tax revenue from fossil fuel burning...that's peanuts compared to the trillions that would be needed to combat the issues associated with burning fossil fuels.
Then I’ll pay a bit extra tax, nothing new there anyway lol.

Research, maybe however as I’ve said on other chats in here, even if I had joined this forum before buying into Tesla would it have given me the full picture. The answer is a resounding no, unless I read every single chat which I don’t have the time to do. Yes the research is my mistake, however every car article about Tesla blows smoke up Elons arse about how fantastic they are, so I tend to believe that as a general rule with car purchase. With hindsight (& also my advice to anyone considering buying a Tesla it would be rent one for a week at least), my fault and I stand by my mistakes.
Yes other car manufacturers will try push touchscreens, many already do, but (& it’s a big but) they also understand people like physical controls and will pay for them. They will look at how Tesla throws rushed UI out onto the unsuspecting owners, also at the furore it causes & learn from it by not making the same mistake. I don’t believe they will remove hard wired wiper controls (not in my driving life anyway) nor a lot of other function. VW already tried it with HVAC controls and have received nothing but *sugar* press reviews of what a pain in the arse it is compared to switches & dials or physical buttons.

As for better for the environment or future generations I’m not in the tree hugger categorys, I’d still be happy in a nice juicy diesel motor🤣. Only thing that swung me was I can save a bit of money at present running an EV, as soon as that changes (which it will) then I’ll quite happily go back.

I can understand that you’re happy to sit in a comfy chair and be taken places, it’s the American way, much like not walking to the shop. I’m still happy to use my legs and feet to go to the shop though and certainly don’t want to be driven by anything other than a sentient being😉

Then I’ll pay a bit extra tax, nothing new there anyway lol.

Research, maybe however as I’ve said on other chats in here, even if I had joined this forum before buying into Tesla would it have given me the full picture. The answer is a resounding no, unless I read every single chat which I don’t have the time to do. Yes the research is my mistake, however every car article about Tesla blows smoke up Elons arse about how fantastic they are, so I tend to believe that as a general rule with car purchase. With hindsight (& also my advice to anyone considering buying a Tesla it would be rent one for a week at least), my fault and I stand by my mistakes.
Yes other car manufacturers will try push touchscreens, many already do, but (& it’s a big but) they also understand people like physical controls and will pay for them. They will look at how Tesla throws rushed UI out onto the unsuspecting owners, also at the furore it causes & learn from it by not making the same mistake. I don’t believe they will remove hard wired wiper controls (not in my driving life anyway) nor a lot of other function. VW already tried it with HVAC controls and have received nothing but *sugar* press reviews of what a pain in the arse it is compared to switches & dials or physical buttons.

As for better for the environment or future generations I’m not in the tree hugger categorys, I’d still be happy in a nice juicy diesel motor🤣. Only thing that swung me was I can save a bit of money at present running an EV, as soon as that changes (which it will) then I’ll quite happily go back.

I can understand that you’re happy to sit in a comfy chair and be taken places, it’s the American way, much like not walking to the shop. I’m still happy to use my legs and feet to go to the shop though and certainly don’t want to be driven by anything other than a sentient being😉
You're missing a critical bit of information in all of this, @Xdama: Everything is your fault. Our Lord and Savior, Elon is perfect an knows what's best for us. If you have a problem, it must be because you did something wrong.

This is TT's answer for everything.

1643587635304.png

He’s been banned now …. shame I enjoyed reading him repeatedly saying the same things🤣
not to mention he was almost single handedly keeping this thread alive 🤣

Back on topic:
Hopped in my car this evening to run a quick errand. Car was parked outside, cold, windows already fogged, so I had to get the climate, defrosters and seat warmers going before I started driving. First I enabled the defrosters, then started to adjust the climate when I noticed the fan speed was set manual, so I decided to select auto - which turned off the defrosters! :confused:

While I appreciate the uncluttered interior, I've never had this sort of problem operating climate controls with any of my prior vehicles - not to mention after a short period of ownership I could operate them without taking my eyes off the road.

Since our favorite troll is gone I'll just go ahead and call myself an idiot for not seeing the wisdom of this system.

moving bits around in sprites via 'video card' hardware has has nothing to do with voice recognition and keeping huge dictionaries locally is against their whole 'connected car' push.

they need fast video hardware to make the moving bits not take up 'user' cpu time. but there is no such 'assist' for decoding voice.
Yes, I realize a dedicated video processor doesn't help with voice recognition, but my 2014 Ford Focus processed voice commands locally, and did a better job at it than my Tesla. That car is 8 years old and not exactly a premium car, so it can't be the only one.....

Reactions: Sporty
I'm trying to keep an open mind.
I've now gotten used to some of the new aspects of V11. Some I like, some I don't.
The one thing I really hate still is the missing trip info tab. That's like a sore thumb every time I drive.

Just out of curiosity I have scheduled a test drive with the upcoming BMW i4 in a couple of weeks. Will definitely be an interesting comparison.

Reactions: COS Blue
I'm trying to keep an open mind.
I've now gotten used to some of the new aspects of V11. Some I like, some I don't.
The one thing I really hate still is the missing trip info tab. That's like a sore thumb every time I drive.

Just out of curiosity I have scheduled a test drive with the upcoming BMW i4 in a couple of weeks. Will definitely be an interesting comparison.
Well it has, windscreen wiper controls on a stalk, aircon controls via dials & buttons, answer calls, adjust cruise etc via steering wheel buttons …. none of which can be moved overnight. Although it doesn’t have a frunk but still has a transmission tunnel (which apparently is where the batteries are. Be interested to see your thoughts once driven, I just wish software jockeys would leave my car function controls alone🤣

It has hideous front grille :)

Despite our gripes, I think Tesla exterior design holds well, time-wise. It is still beautiful to look at.
Beuty is in the eye of the beholder, apparently. I think the front end of the M3 looks like a fish with gaping mouth, sometimes even a bit frog like lol. I certainly wouldn’t call it beautiful by any stretch of my imagination, but then I don’t have to look at the outside most of the time.

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc and Boza
Beuty is in the eye of the beholder, apparently. I think the front end of the M3 looks like a fish with gaping mouth, sometimes even a bit frog like lol. I certainly wouldn’t call it beautiful by any stretch of my imagination, but then I don’t have to look at the outside most of the time.
Absolutely. I too am not the biggest fan of the Model 3 design, but the new BMW front design language is even less attractive imho.
My favorite car design-wise is still my old E46 330 coupe. I love that design. The combination of the E46 coupe exterior and the Model 3 tech would be my dream car I guess.
Haven't got a picture of my 330Cd here on my mobile, but this is exactly what my configuration looks like - except for the licence plate of course ;-)
BMW-3-Series-Coupe-E46_1.jpg

Last edited:
My primary issue was UX related with the movement of important controls being buried.
However, my issue is now importantly reliability. I’m running 2022.4 and have become seething angry driving a car I loved. A 2hr drive yesterday required 2 hard reboots requiring me to pull off I70. Touchscreen would completely freeze and I couldn’t even tell if blinkers were on. The backup camera? Almost useless. Shows image from last location for a couple seconds before a very stutter live view appears. I’m against a wall 3 seconds before the camera shows me there.
Are there memory leaks here? I mean it gets worse the longer you drive until the car animation is updating once a 4 seconds. It’s ridiculous.
2022 MYP

Absolutely. I too am not the biggest fan of the Model 3 design, but the new BMW front design language is even less attractive imho.
My favorite car design-wise is still my old E46 330 coupe. I love that design. The combination of the E46 coupe exterior and the Model 3 tech would be my dream car I guess.
I’d give most of the tech up quite happily I only like the seemless acceleration, one pedal driving and not paying out at the fuel station. Other than that not a lot else🤣.

Reactions: bay74 and smogne41
Haven't got a picture of my 330Cd here on my mobile, but this is exactly what my configuration looks like - except for the licence plate of course ;-)
View attachment 762509
I had an E46 325i with sport package. Best sedan I drove, period. Neutral at the limits, nimble, fun, and just a dash of luxury in the interior. Great feedback from the steering.

I was always impressed by the displays in that car. Orange backlit LCD, very legible day or night, even in direct sunlight. Orange/red are the easiest on human eyes in terms of strain.

Everything was well thought out, in terms of controls. Sometime I muse about buying an old one as a third car.

Never had an E46, but I had the E36 M3. Hands down the best driving car I ever owned. 0-100-0 was quicker than a Ferrari (at that time), could dance between oversteer and understeer like Fred Astaire on wheels, built solid, no issues, loads of fun....Oh, and got about 20mpg, maybe 10K miles on a set of tires if I was lucky, and ate brakes for breakfast. Don't have a picture handy at the moment, but mine looked exactly like this:
1995-BMW-M3-E36-Dakar-Yellow.jpg

I guess AustinPowers and I want the same electric car - I kept telling people when the Leaf, i3 and other designs were coming out - I just want a BMW3 series that is electric. Curious what you think of i4 after your test drive, but I have to agree with the comments on the grill. What were they thinking?

Anyone know why he was banned? He certainly was annoying, but he never really crossed a line with anyone that I'm aware of. AFAIK, he kept it clean and never resorted to name calling, threats, etc. I hope he wasn't banned from participating simply because he was disagreeing about the common opinion of v11.

It's good to have differing opinions and hearty debates. Even with someone who is dead wrong and annoying.

I guess AustinPowers and I want the same electric car - I kept telling people when the Leaf, i3 and other designs were coming out - I just want a BMW3 series that is electric.
Funny, that is exactly what I had been saying back when I decided to order my Model 3.

I would never even have thought of getting a Tesla if BMW had simply done what they were best at back in the day - building cars with great handling that are fun to drive, combined with comfort and the right mixture of driver orientation, and a little luxury here and there - and combined that with state of the art BEV tech. I guess the i4 might be the first BMW to achieve that - if only the styling was as elegant and understated as back then instead of their new "bigger is better" kidney look that borders on the ridiculous by now. Other than the front end the i4 doesn't look too bad imho.
I'm really curious about comparing it to the Model 3, especially the UI. Will definitely report about my experience here as soon as I have had the test drive.

Never had an E46, but I had the E36 M3. Hands down the best driving car I ever owned. 0-100-0 was quicker than a Ferrari (at that time), could dance between oversteer and understeer like Fred Astaire on wheels, built solid, no issues, loads of fun....Oh, and got about 20mpg, maybe 10K miles on a set of tires if I was lucky, and ate brakes for breakfast. Don't have a picture handy at the moment, but mine looked exactly like this:
View attachment 762667

I guess AustinPowers and I want the same electric car - I kept telling people when the Leaf, i3 and other designs were coming out - I just want a BMW3 series that is electric. Curious what you think of i4 after your test drive, but I have to agree with the comments on the grill. What were they thinking?
Yes, I drove one hard, during a test drive. These were really fun, but the suspension was a bit harsh.

BMWs used to be known for their supple, compliant suspensions, but very sporty handling the same time.

Ride and handling compromise was near perfect, IOW.

The new grill harkens back to the origins of BMW.

However, what was trendy then, isn’t exactly attractive now.

Reactions: TexaCali