Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
IO will only send start and stop charging signals within its scheduled charge plan window (and for a brief bit after they detect vehicle plug-in). Outside that if you manually start charging or use Tesla’s charging features they should also work. It’s often cited that Scheduled Charging is configured for 23:30 to guarantee SoC target just in case IO calls fail to make it. Might help to convert 21 kWh into a percentage for use with IO also.
Thank you. Just about to switch to IO, and wasn't 100% sure.

Seems logical, as my understanding is the whole house benefits even when no charge is scheduled.

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a common question regarding IO.

Can you just schedule a charge within the off-peak times, without a smart charge? Say I only need to add 21kw, and just schedule from 11:30pm until desired percentage?
Currently you *can* but it’s not what IO was designed for and I reckon the T&Cs require you to let it connect to your device at least once every 30 days.

You should consider that Octopus gives you cheap charging slots in exchange for letting them control when your car should charge during the day and night, to optimise the grid.

Personally, I just want to wake up to a car with, most of the time, 80%, on rare occasions, a full battery, so I plug in and forget, let IO do its thing by the target level and time specified in the app, and it hasn’t failed me yet. So I don’t even think about it

Reactions: ringi
Hi, is anyone else having issues with setting up the test charge using the android version of the app? I'm using 3.54.1 and I'm getting the 'uh oh' error message when its trying to connect to the Tesla account. Octopus support have raised a ticket. Also the T3 often reports its GPS location as being one of my neighbour's (due to the location of the detached garage), so I'm assuming that's going to be an issue unless someone else has a similar issue. TiA 😊

Does anyone know how long the test carge is supposed to take? Mine's been going for about 15 minutes now.

I also wanted to ask if I set the schedule in the car to not start charging until 23:30 - are octopus able to override this when/if they give me larger window

I also have the same question as the person above as my car thinks it's at a neighbours address instead of mine, will that be an issue?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long the test carge is supposed to take? Mine's been going for about 15 minutes now.

I also wanted to ask if I set the schedule in the car to not start charging until 23:30 - are octopus able to override this when/if they give me larger window

I also have the same question as the person above as my car thinks it's at a neighbours address instead of mine, will that be an issue?
My initial test charge lasted about 15min.

I’ve found setting the scheduled charging to start at 2330hrs prevents and early charging (out of window). But IO does override it if it sets a proper early window.

I’m using iOS and had no issues around location, so I can’t advise on that.

If anything it's pretty much the opposite at the moment with IO. I was 100 miles away from home this weekend and when I plugged in, IO generated a schedule a few minutes later... So it seems a few yards won't be an issue ;)

My car was at home on Friday but not plugged in, and I got a schedule. Seems very odd behaviour at times...
Were you doing a software update by any chance?
I've noticed that every time I do, mid way, IO generates a schedule too.
Probably something in the Tesla update process or the several MCU restarts that must simulate that the car is being plugged in for a few seconds?

Reactions: browellm
My initial test charge lasted about 15min.

I’ve found setting the scheduled charging to start at 2330hrs prevents and early charging (out of window). But IO does override it if it sets a proper early window.

I’m using iOS and had no issues around location, so I can’t advise on that.
Thanks, I'll give that a go.

The test charge completed successfully before but when I went out to the shops and got home, the car started immediately charging and carried on for about 20 minutes, until I stopped it manually. I think I'll just do what you do and see if it charges outside the scheduled windows. Even then if it doesn't I don't really care, I'm only bothered about getting the extended windows whenever I can :D the normal off peak charging time is enough for me.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Just got our first bill following the switch, although we were only on it for 4 days it was very useful, you get an average cost for all kWh used (in our case 27p), so you can quickly see if you are better off on the tariff (we were not sure). You also get a breakdown per day with a chart showing what rate applied for what 1/2 periods. That appears to map to what the schedule said in the app when outside of the 23:30 - 05:30 window (I took a few screenshots as suggested in this thread). So we had a couple at 7:00 - 7:30 which helpfully is also when we seem to use most power in the house (toaster, coffee machine, kettle, etc).

Kudos to Octopus...

Now if only the Tesla would preheat from battery when plugged in but outside of the scheduled charge start (we have set ours to never charge before 23:30).

Reactions: WllXM
So if you guys wouldn't mind I just want to confirm everything I have setup is correct for my new Model 3.

I have set the charge limit in the car and the app to 100%.
I have set the car to not start charging to until 23:30 - however if Octopus give me any times earlier than that, it will work, as it's just like they're pressing the 'start charging' button.
There are no other limitations set anywhere on the car or the charger.

I also wanted to ask, I work from the office 2 days a week and from home the rest of the week. When I work in the office I leave at 5:45am. If I set the charge to be ready for 5:30am every day, am I less likely to get windows outside of the scheduled off peak time?

Am I better just setting the app to have the charge ready for say, 9/10am on normal days, then for any days I'm going to be up early, set it the day before to my desired charge time of 5:30am, and when I change that value, Octopus should recalculate charging windows for me?

So if you guys wouldn't mind I just want to confirm everything I have setup is correct for my new Model 3.

I have set the car to not start charging to until 23:30 - however if Octopus give me any times earlier than that, it will work, as it's just like they're pressing the 'start charging' button.

I also wanted to ask, I work from the office 2 days a week and from home the rest of the week. When I work in the office I leave at 5:45am. If I set the charge to be ready for 5:30am every day, am I less likely to get windows outside of the scheduled off peak time?

Am I better just setting the app to have the charge ready for say, 9/10am on normal days, then for any days I'm going to be up early, set it the day before to my desired charge time of 5:30am, and when I change that value, Octopus should recalculate charging windows for me?
Yes it'll recalculate every day depending on 2 factors:

- your desired SoC and time you want it ready
- the demand/supply in the grid

even if you are asking the same thing every day, the slots may differ.

Reactions: WllXM
Because it will charge all in one go, closer to when I need it (generally), this warms the battery. It also mean my battery is at a higher charge % for less time (generally).
Interesting. Usually with smart charge, as you need to specify a departure time in the Octopus app between 4am-11am, I've found that most of the charge tends to happen closer to the end as it's where the less busy times of the grid are.

Depending on the time you are leaving (if it's within off-peak) you could also specify a preconditioning time in the app, as it will use the charger and not the battery to achieve the same result of warming up the battery (and the cabin)

Also, I assume you have an LFP / Standard Range M3 to be charging at 100% every day?

Interesting. Usually with smart charge, as you need to specify a departure time in the Octopus app between 4am-11am, I've found that most of the charge tends to happen closer to the end as it's where the less busy times of the grid are.

Depending on the time you are leaving (if it's within off-peak) you could also specify a preconditioning time in the app, as it will use the charger and not the battery to achieve the same result of warming up the battery (and the cabin)
Depending on how early you leave and when it schedules charge then it could use more energy in your example with preconditioning. I use that anyhow, but I reckon it from a warmer bettery more often.

Yes it'll recalculate every day depending on 2 factors:

- your desired SoC and time you want it ready
- the demand/supply in the grid

even if you are asking the same thing every day, the slots may differ.

Thanks, so I'm setup correctly?

I was thinking I might as well set it for 10am on the days I'm not in the office just so I can stand of change of getting an extended off peak window in the morning :D

Also, I assume you have an LFP / Standard Range M3 to be charging at 100% every day?
Yes I do.

Reactions: giorgosa
Thanks, so I'm setup correctly?

I was thinking I might as well set it for 10am on the days I'm not in the office just so I can stand of change of getting an extended off peak window in the morning :D

Yes I do.
Yes, right to all!
I have pretty much the same setup as you and I hope Octopus will soon have an API so we can automate that, it's a bit of a pain thinking of adjusting the schedule manually every other day... First world problems..

Reactions: xreyuk