Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
138 pages is a little daunting, apologies if already answered.

Just got my powerwall (and 3.5kw panels). I don't have an ev or charger. I had assumed I'd be able to get Octo Intellgent but they said I'm not allowed to because I don't have an EV? And instead want to push me toward Flux.

Firstly, what are the pros and cons, the various programmes are bewildering. Secondly could I just lie and say I have an EV and charger to get that tariff?

Resilience to grid outages is important to me (power supply unreliable in winter). I had thought I could just set a 20-30% safety net, charge the battery at 7.5p overnight in winter and consume in the day but the flux "cheap" import rate is 17p. I don't anticipate too much surplus power for export as panels only small and have an Eddie water diverter after the battery. Perhaps I'm being dumb but I don't understand the concept of a tariff that's only available if your battery is on wheels rather than on a wall.

138 pages is a little daunting, apologies if already answered.

Just got my powerwall (and 3.5kw panels). I don't have an ev or charger. I had assumed I'd be able to get Octo Intellgent but they said I'm not allowed to because I don't have an EV? And instead want to push me toward Flux.

Firstly, what are the pros and cons, the various programmes are bewildering. Secondly could I just lie and say I have an EV and charger to get that tariff?

Resilience to grid outages is important to me (power supply unreliable in winter). I had thought I could just set a 20-30% safety net, charge the battery at 7.5p overnight in winter and consume in the day but the flux "cheap" import rate is 17p. I don't anticipate too much surplus power for export as panels only small and have an Eddie water diverter after the battery. Perhaps I'm being dumb but I don't understand the concept of a tariff that's only available if your battery is on wheels rather than on a wall.
1698179296455.jpeg

Consider Octopus Go. Whilst aimed at EV’s, it doesn’t mandate one.
9p/unit for 4 hours after midnight.
Export not as good as Flux, but you don’t think you’ll need much of that.
Note this is not the same as Intelligent Go.

So, this “OctoPLUS”, doesn’t affect your IO or export tariffs, it’s just an add on extra, which you may or not be able to take advantage of, is that correct?
It’s looking like it could be a good addition to go with export.
looks like you’ll get free electric before the savings session and if you export during the saving session you get paid even more.
i just need my export meter up and running :p

51. And 67!

Oh well… I’ll give it a try anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️

- Might not earn very much depending on 51, if they use all of the last 60 days average !

If it’s outside the cheap window, I think my import usage was an average of zero. So I’m pretty sure I can’t import less than that in a savings session !

- you get 62p for signing up anyway or 8kW of 7.5p off peak (=500 OctoPoints).

- you also get some points for getting an Octopus mini. How do you get one of those?

IMG_7850.png

IMG_7851.png

51. And 67!

Oh well… I’ll give it a try anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️

- Might not earn very much depending on 51, if they use all of the last 60 days average !

If it’s outside the cheap window, I think my import usage was an average of zero. So I’m pretty sure I can’t import less than that in a savings session !

- you get 62p for signing up anyway or 8kW of 7.5p off peak (=500 OctoPoints).

- you also get some points for getting an Octopus mini. How do you get one of those?

View attachment 985191

View attachment 985192
You apply through the website I think, it is a while since I got mine, but they are very good.
if you have no joy I’ll try and find the link for you.
i think you’ll do ok in the savings session especially if you can force discharge your batteries.
I’ll email octopus about my export man as id like to earn some extra cash now the heating is on 😁

You apply through the website I think, it is a while since I got mine, but they are very good.
if you have no joy I’ll try and find the link for you.
i think you’ll do ok in the savings session especially if you can force discharge your batteries.
I’ll email octopus about my export man as id like to earn some extra cash now the heating is on 😁

OctoPLUS is a new thing though. It’s only
Been out a few days.

I’ve already signed up. You can apply in app or online. - EDIT: scrap that thought you were talking about applying for OctoPLUS. Yeah, a link would be good. Couldn’t see anywhere how to get an Octpus mini. Thanks.

It says in the T+C’s you get Octo points for using less than you did over the last (up to) 60 days of your smart meter readings IN THAT same time slot.

ie if they pick 4pm-5pm and you didn’t IMPORT anything between 4-5pm averaged over the last 60 days, then you don’t get anything because you haven’t imported less than you did before. If you don’t have a battery then it could be good - If you go out and turn everything off.

You don’t get paid anything for exporting in the upcoming savings sessions, it’s all about importing less AFAIK. That’s how it reads to me. And it’d be impossible to predict what slots they pick 60 days in advance, if you were looking to import extra during that time slot for 60 days.

I think I get what you mean about the export though. You could top up your batteries during the free period and export or use it or just import less peak if your batteries run out before 23:30. 👍🏻

Last edited:
OctoPLUS is a new thing though. It’s only
Been out a few days.

I’ve already signed up. You can apply in app or online. - EDIT: scrap that thought you were talking about applying for OctoPLUS. Yeah, a link would be good. Couldn’t see anywhere how to get an Octpus mini. Thanks.

It says in the T+C’s you get Octo points for using less than you did over the last (up to) 60 days of your smart meter readings IN THAT same time slot.

ie if they pick 4pm-5pm and you didn’t IMPORT anything between 4-5pm averaged over the last 60 days, then you don’t get anything because you haven’t imported less than you did before. If you don’t have a battery then it could be good - If you go out and turn everything off.

You don’t get paid anything for exporting in the upcoming savings sessions, it’s all about importing less AFAIK. That’s how it reads to me. And it’d be impossible to predict what slots they pick 60 days in advance, if you were looking to import extra during that time slot for 60 days.

I think I get what you mean about the export though. You could top up your batteries during the free period and export or use it or just import less peak if your batteries run out before 23:30. 👍🏻

Reactions: Pete UK
Well, I got an email from Octopus less than 5 minutes after I posted this. They removed the OHM from my account & gave the steps to reset it. Now it's working... I guess a heads up for anyone else who has the issue, email them to ask them to reset the device!

This is a bit of a longshot, but worth a try as I'm sure many in this thread have Octopus Minis.

My Octopus Mini stopped working a while ago, but still has the white light suggesting it's connected correctly. I've tried everything I can from my end and have emailed Octopus, but they are very slow in replying to emails at the moment & so far have only asked me generic "is it still plugged in?" questions.

Is anyone able to take a look with Wireshark at the network packets being sent by a working Mini? Mine is connected to my wifi but just sends an ARP packet every 60 seconds with no other data. I'm trying to figure out where the problem is so I can send Octopus more troubleshooting data in the hope that they will help somehow...

The main reason I want it to work is my Home Assistant integration. I have it all set up but would prefer the live data to the ~24hr delay from the API.

Last edited: