Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evgo 350 kW 4 station charger in Baker, Ca. (June 2017)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last photo shows what may be the only remaining mystery about the site. There are two open conduit pipes (one visible) in the center of the island poking up through the concrete. Not sure what they will be used for if anything. Jeff has a nice blog post on his site providing further information.

RT

Reactions: Jeff N
The last photo shows what may be the only remaining mystery about the site. There are two open conduit pipes (one visible) in the center of the island poking up through the concrete. Not sure what they will be used for if anything. Jeff has a nice blog post on his site providing further information.

RT
EVgo has said that the Baker location is designed to be upgraded later to 8 charging pedestals so my best guess is that those apparent conduit terminations would carry power to the future additional pedestals. I assume they will cosmetically cover them with a planter box or some such before the site opens for business.

Stopped by today and took some photos. Looks really close to done, though noticed some hanging wires from the canopy. The chargers on the right have a weird "sorry out of service" sign printed on computer paper. Strange since it isn’t open. Also odd that no one was working on it on a Wed afternoon at 2p. Maybe they are waiting for permits or something.

I drive through again on Sat and I’ll take a look again for any changes.

IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG

Drove by today, took pictures, very little change. They do have a credit card reader installed between the pedestals. I went inside to see if they knew anything, and they don't. They seem pretty exasperated.

The empty Bun Boy next door has been painted dark red for some reason.

RT

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
The keypad screen on the right is showing "system down". Middle screen with the "out of service" message is blank.
This is a perfect example of why I am leery of planning on using an public EV charger outside of the Tesla network. Too many times I’ve pulled up to an L2 charger to discover it wasn’t working or there was an EV parked at it, it was the only charger, and I had no way of knowing how long that car would be there plugged in because the charge rate was so slow that it could be there many hours.

This is a perfect example of why I am leery of planning on using an public EV charger outside of the Tesla network. Too many times I’ve pulled up to an L2 charger to discover it wasn’t working or there was an EV parked at it, it was the only charger, and I had no way of knowing how long that car would be there plugged in because the charge rate was so slow that it could be there many hours.

Indeed.

And furthermore it's why every time somebody brings up the Electrify America initiative that's being funded by the VW Dieselgate settlement, and claims that it's going to match or surpass the Supercharging network, I'm skeptical. EVGo is one of several partners chosen to help manage the network(s).

While there are hundreds of millions of dollars supposedly earmarked for charging infrastructure, there are many reasons why it could fail to thrive. Mismanagement, lack of will, a hodge-podge of payment systems, lack of reliability or maintenance, poor location and placement, etc...

Last edited:
Indeed.

And furthermore it's why every time somebody brings up the Electrify America initiative that's being funded by the VW Dieselgate settlement, and claims that it's going to match or surpass the Supercharging network, I'm skeptical. EVGo is one of several partners chosen to help manage the network(s).

While the hundreds of millions of dollars supposedly earmarked for charging infrastructure, there are many reasons why it could fail to thrive. Mismanagement, lack of will, a hodge-podge of payment systems, lack of reliability or maintenance, poor location and placement, etc...

Or out west, the BLM and EPA can stop it. The Feds own most of the West, and the BLM/EPA are not our friends when it comes to building things on public land that are desperately needed. Heck, they screw with us on private property.

Reactions: scaesare