Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs in the 2012 Presidential Debates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Mr. Romney wins he effectively pays no tax because of his 20% tax cuts. As for Tesla, I think that Mr. Romney and his campaign does not believe that Tesla can be and will be successful despite where gas prices are which explains why they considered it a failure during the debate.

Thankfully, the time of Tesla needing (that is still up for debate I think) the loan (which will be re-payed quickly) is over. So whether Romney or Obama wins at least Tesla is sitting on a green profit future. The change will be when they pull the tax credit away from EV's, which was a nice marketing hook.

It's worthwhile reading Romney's statements about energy (and vehicle usage thereof) directly; I grudgingly admit to being pleasantly surprised at some of the nuance in his statements. His track record as governor (on energy issues) was pretty good--but it included pushing for closure of the few remaining coal plants in the state. This is clearly no longer on the table, which is unfortunate for the EV community: our cars are only as clean as the electricity that powers them.

It's completely backwards thinking, more oil, more coal, more ethanol, with passing mentions of alternative technologies, after bashing Solyndra. It's basically just "Drill Baby Drill" 2.0

- - - Updated - - -

The contrast between his moderate stance as governor and his current stance as a presidential candidate are rather disturbing, he seems to change his opinions much too easily, as if he has no real convictions of his own. As governor he was pro choice, basically created Obama care, and seemed to understand the need for alternative energy technology. As the GOP candidate he's basically reversed his opinions on all issues.

I'm pretty sure the Romney himself believes in climate change, understands the basics of the science, and his record as governor demonstrates that he understands the economic and environmental benefits of supporting alternative energies and companies like Tesla. The problem is that the US has turned into a quasi-parlimentary government, so one person's beliefs, even if it's the President, only matter so much. My biggest concern with Romney is that he'd be beholden to the more radical, anti-science, anti-alternatives agenda of Congressional Republicans, and support for EVs, alternative fuels etc. would all fall by the wayside to support the oil and gas industries.

... His track record as governor (on energy issues) was pretty good--but it included pushing for closure of the few remaining coal plants in the state. This is clearly no longer on the table,....

I'm struck that many times his "opinions" are completely refuted by is own campaign team the next day. It's almost like he says whatever is best for the group he is talkling to at the time. Not sure where he stands on anything.

Not sure where he stands on anything.

For the most part, his entire platform is "Vote for me if you don't like Obama."

Are there many people that actually like Romney? They're voting for him because he's the Republican candidate, not because they actually love him or his policies.

There was no reason for Romney to take a shot at Tesla. It was a good investment that has already paid for itself in jobs, advancement of American interests, and building American industry.

Last edited:
@JRP3: your question was discussed among the moderators and admins shortly after this thread started. The discussion started because Gov. Romney took a swipe at Tesla, and that's where the discussion should remain. We'll stay on the topic of EVs and related issues because these are Tesla Motor Club forums, and all threads should have an angle that is relevant for people interested in Tesla Motors, more than just generically. E.g., no threads on cute cat pictures, unless the cats are on your EV.

There are a bazillion forums on the Web where you can discuss the debates, but here is not the appropriate place for general political discussions, which are likely to create heat and friction among people who otherwise might have civil conversations about transportation policy, etc.

Thanks,

@JRP3: your question was discussed among the moderators and admins shortly after this thread started. The discussion started because Gov. Romney took a swipe at Tesla, and that's where the discussion should remain. We'll stay on the topic of EVs and related issues because these are Tesla Motor Club forums, and all threads should have an angle that is relevant for people interested in Tesla Motors, more than just generically. E.g., no threads on cute cat pictures, unless the cats are on your EV.

Harsh, Robert :) Exhibit A: random chitchat

But, yes, that thread is in the Off-Topic forum. Maybe, this pres. debate thread needs to be forked into two - one in this "Energy, Environment and Policy" forum where the Tesla mention alone ought to be dissected but, another in Off-Topic where, IMO, there ought to be no constraints (I've loved that aspect of freedom of expression with TMC all along).

10525094163378451867.jpg

Watching the VP debate. Ryan derided funding electric cars and wind power, but the moderator changed the subject to health care before Biden could respond.

Watching the VP debate. Ryan derided funding electric cars and wind power, but the moderator changed the subject to health care before Biden could respond.

Joe Biden did get to respond to that, kind of. (I thought he did pretty well overall; no punches pulled this time)

Transcript: Biden-Ryan Vice Presidential Debate : NPR

REP. RYAN: Was it a good idea to spend taxpayer dollars on electric cars in Finland or on windmills in China?

VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN: Look —

REP. RYAN: Was it a good idea to borrow all this money from countries like China —

VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN: (Chuckles.)

REP. RYAN: — and spend it on all these various different interest groups?

VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN: Let me tell you it was a good idea. It was a good idea — Moody's and others said that this was exactly what we needed that stopped us from going off the cliff. It set the conditions to be able to grow again. We have — in fact, 4 percent of those green jobs didn't go under — or went — went — went under — didn't work. It's a better batting average than investment bankers have. They have about a 40 percent — (inaudible) — loss.

The number of "VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN: (Chuckles.)" in that entire transcript is funny :)