Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVs in the 2012 Presidential Debates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were bought by Johnson Controls.

A123 Files For Bankruptcy; Sells Auto Assets To Johnson Controls (Updated) - Forbes

A123 this morning said that it has agreed to sell its automotive business assets, including facilities in Livonia and Romulus, Michigan, its manufacturing facilities in China and its stake in the joint venture Shanghai Advanced Traction Battery Systems Co., to Johnson Controls for $125 million.

From the release:

WALTHAM, Mass., Oct. 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A123 Systems, Inc. (AONE) ("A123" or "the Company"), a developer and manufacturer of advanced Nanophosphate® lithium iron phosphate batteries and systems, today announced that it has entered into an asset purchase agreement with Johnson Controls, Inc. (JCI) in a transaction valued at $125 million. Under the terms of the agreement, Johnson Controls plans to acquire A123's automotive business assets, including all of its automotive technology, products and customer contracts; its facilities in Livonia and Romulus, Michigan; its cathode powder manufacturing facilities in China, and A123's equity interest in Shanghai Advanced Traction Battery Systems Co., A123's joint venture with Shanghai Automotive. The asset purchase agreement also includes provisions through which Johnson Controls intends to license back to A123 certain technology for its grid, commercial and government businesses. A123 also continues to engage in active discussions regarding strategic alternatives for its grid, commercial, government and other operations, and has received several indications of interest for these businesses.

Good news for companies like VIA Motors.

@Arnold Panz: I'll bet you a pizza that Romney finds a way to introduce this fact tonight.

I'd need serious odds -- 8:1 (a slice versus a pie)! My point was that if it was a regular debate and not a townhall I'd agree it's a mortal lock. If there's no question on energy policy or stimulus, it will seem forced from Romney, and he could possibly not get the chance to mention it. I'd probably give it a 20-25% of not being mentioned by Romney (so I guess 2 slices to your pie!). :)

Certainly drew a clear line in the sand, if you think oil and coal are the way forward Romney is your guy. I think Obama redeemed his earlier poor performance, it will be interesting to see if the polls agree.

The whole "Fedaral Lands" portion was handeld pretty well. Interesting that O talked about "use it or loose it" but did not point out the drilling on federal lands can also mean pumping in our national parks. Guess that's too controversial.

Obama should have mentioned it saying he's proud to support a new generation of car company that employs 3,000 workers in America and runs on American energy.

Yeah, I was wondering if he'd drop Tesla in there alongside Intel (founded by Moore and Noyce, both born in the US actually) and Google when referring to companies started by immigrants.

But, I think Tesla's too "controversial" to be mentioned as a great American success story yet - there's still the Govt loan that needs to be paid off; and, after all, they are "making fancy cars for the wealthy"!

Perhaps, in the 2016 debate - Romney (if running for a second term) or Ryan or Rubio or Rand Paul vs Warner or Kaine or Booker - after Tesla has been profitable for years and Gen III is out?!

I suspect even if Romney is elected, he'll change his tune on EVs. It won't be right away. But right now he's just looking for ways to make Obama look bad to get elected. As for the tax credits for EVs, I suspect if he really hated them it would still be easier to let them expire on their own and claim he ended them (sort of like George W. Bush and the assault weapons ban) than to actually take political action to remove them. And by the time of the next election I believe EVs will be closer to mainstream and all of the "Obamacar" junk surrounding the Volt and Tesla will be long gone. In fact, if these vehicles are successful I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Romney took credit for it since it would have happened during his administration. Presidents always take credit (or blame) for things that happen during their administration whether they had anything to do with it or not.

Next time I'm in Miami, I'm buying! (That's not an idle promise; I actually do get down there from time to time, but usually no further than Juno Beach.)

Gladly! In exchange you'd get a ride in my car :)

I also occasionally have business trips to Boston, and will let you know if I'm going there, although as a native New Yorker I'm suspicious of Boston pizza ;)