Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ex-GM vice chair blasts Tesla, saying supporters 'like members of a religious cult'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel bad about Bob Lutz because I admired him for many years. He brought us the original BMW 3-Series, Pontiac GTO, Ford Explorer and a few others. He always has a knack for making a vehicle that perfectly suited a large audience while not spending much money doing it.

He also has loved flying, so making me like him more.

However, he has never done a thing that required technical innovation. Never. When faced with such an issue he's always wanted to find a cheap way out. Of course he cannot grasp a real BEV, although he has tried. The Volt followed his tried and true formula, making no technical advance but selecting the cheapest sources for something that has market appeal. That worked, but...he has no clue about technological advance, and he really is no longer able to see markets changing. Always remember he always has been a marketing and packaging guy.

So sad.

Isn't he the fool that wanted his pseudo-sports cars to sound like the real thing ?
To be fair, even the high end ICE real sports cars have tuned exhaust systems to produce their desired sound. Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren all do that. So, why not for his cheap versions? Seems harmless to me.

Reactions: X-Auto
To be fair, even the high end ICE real sports cars have tuned exhaust systems to produce their desired sound. Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren all do that. So, why not for his cheap versions? Seems harmless to me.

Additional tuning to a fast car's exhaust to enhance the driving experience is much different than trying to make a slow car sound fast, even though it's all ear music.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Isn't he the fool that wanted his pseudo-sports cars to sound like the real thing ?

Hahaha... Chevrolet does not make BMW's. The sound you hear is the engine, not a recording. On my ZR-1 it was nice and polite when driven like a sane person. However, there are factory exhaust cutouts at 4000? RPM if you crack the whip, and the sucker ROARS. It trips the db meter at most tracks. Not exactly a pseudo sports car, more like a civilized race car. But seriously, unless you're tracking the car all the time, it's a waste. It accelerates violently at 70 mph, and below that speed, you are traction impaired.

It's 2016. The Camaros are cutting sub 7m30s laps at Nürburgring for folk who want exotic performance at "punches a timeclock" pricing. Even the $125k ZR-1 was a bargain for what you got.

On a budget? Want to spank BMW M3's in the twisties at 1/2 price? V6 1LE is your weapon of choice, and it even gets good mileage.

My friend's Corvette has the same faux noise piped not only into the car but outside it as well. When he comes over he turns it on thinking I will be impressed. To me it is simply noise pollution. Do it at the track but please don't spoil the peace and tranquility of my neighborhood. It is about as annoying as receiving unsolicited phone calls from politicians and proposition promoters during election time.

Reactions: jgs
Tesla supporters certainly aren't a religious cult. Those, invariably, have scam-liar-salesman types as leaders (e.g. david koresh, jim jones, jesus christ, etc.) Musk is about as far from that as possible. It is a cult, however, just not a religious one. :D

My friend's Corvette has the same faux noise piped not only into the car but outside it as well. When he comes over he turns it on thinking I will be impressed. To me it is simply noise pollution. Do it at the track but please don't spoil the peace and tranquility of my neighborhood. It is about as annoying as receiving unsolicited phone calls from politicians and proposition promoters during election time.

None of the Corvettes have sound enhancement unless it's some kind of brand new feature for 2017.5.

Are you sure it's a Corvette? Did it have the engine in the front? Glass body? 2 seats?

If it was a Corvette, you are hearing the exhaust and intake.

Tesla supporters certainly aren't a religious cult. Those, invariably, have scam-liar-salesman types as leaders (e.g. david koresh, jim jones, jesus christ, etc.) Musk is about as far from that as possible. It is a cult, however, just not a religious one. :D
We're all going to autonomously drive off a cliff together in 2018... didn't you get the memo?

Reactions: SageBrush
None of the Corvettes have sound enhancement unless it's some kind of brand new feature for 2017.5.

Are you sure it's a Corvette? Did it have the engine in the front? Glass body? 2 seats?

If it was a Corvette, you are hearing the exhaust and intake.
He may be referring to the electronic valve in the Stingray Corvette that allows the car to bypass the muffler in certain drive modes/rpms for better sound.
See and hear how the Corvette Stingray's switchable exhaust works

That's not really "fake", but I guess it can be categorized as a sound enhancement feature.

He may be referring to the electronic valve in the Stingray Corvette that allows the car to bypass the muffler in certain drive modes/rpms for better sound.
See and hear how the Corvette Stingray's switchable exhaust works

That's not really "fake", but I guess it can be categorized as a sound enhancement feature.

My 2010 ZR-1 Corvette had it. It's to increase HP, which it certainly does, at the expense of noise. IIRC, I could change a setting to stop it from opening, or remove the fuse, and it's on all the time. I just left it at the stock setting, which is active at ~4000rpm and >50% throttle.

If it was a red Corvette, you are hearing the exhaust and intake.

It is a red small engine corvette and is about 4 years old. It does have exactly what I said it did because he demo'd it for me. Perhaps is is amplifying the sound but regardless, it is enhanced sound. I don't follow these types of things so all I can do is report what I was shown.