Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ex-GM vice chair blasts Tesla, saying supporters 'like members of a religious cult'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do they even have internet access at the retirement home where he lives ?
Probably not, that's why he is so clueless...

At least he has experience with what he is talking about (even if it has nothing to do with Tesla): raising the volume not helping the bottom-line when you lose money on every vehicle sold. You need a government bailout to fix that ;)

Well Lutz gets a lot of kudos for me for pushing for the Volt, but after that things have been going downhill for him, so I guess he decides to lash out at Tesla in his free time to keep media visibility.
At that time, Lutz had some respect (maybe even admiration) for Tesla and Musk and used them as a benchmark of what could be accomplished using existing battery technology to create a long-range EV. He basically questioned why one of the largest automakers in the world was beaten to the punch by a little startup in Silicon Valley with no automotive manufacturing experience.

As for his subsequent change of heart, I suppose it's like watching a sibling, classmate or coworker become the rising star who accomplishes great things, receives numerous accolades and is in the news all the time... while you have seen your own accomplishments fall short and your contributions to those largely forgotten (in Lutz' case, due to the bankruptcy and bailout). You have to wonder, "Why isn't that guy me?" You then begin to formulate rationalizations to explain to yourself why it is so: he must have cheated; he must have received special favors; he must be a charlatan; he must have conspired with others to sully my image and legacy; in short, he is my nemesis. I need to diminish him and his accomplishments so I can feel better about myself. Think "Hamilton" or "Amadeus".

Last edited:
Lutz:
old.jpg

The site makes money on clicks, not facts. Yes, The cult of Tesla is being trolled. The best way to thwart coverage like that is by not visiting the site--frequent the sites that at least fairly evaluate Tesla. I suggest visiting the sites Elon tweets if you are a true believer. :)

Cult? Leave it to Lutz to point out the weakness of Tesla supporters, along with the inability to resist the lure of Musk's products. Perhaps Lutz's next quarterly proclamation will call for an intervention, complete with deprogramming and some follow up therapy.

Apparently Lutz is all good now with labeling people, especially those that might seek a cleaner and safer world. So he probably wouldn't mind getting a tag line of his own? If the shoe fits Bob, try this one. An individual who has no prospects for a brighter future can fittingly be described as a dead-ender.

• Funny
Reactions: HookBill
I think that Lutz staring bashing Tesla early on, therefore he feels that he needs to keep it up. Lets face it a startup car manufacturer is a very iffy business, couple that with a totally new ev car and business model. The odds of him being right in 2011 were pretty good.

Lutz certainly needs to re-evaluate his position now!!

"If you're not recovering labor and materials in your sell price, then doing twice as many or three times as many or four times as many doesn't help," he said. "The losses just get bigger and bigger."

Now here Lutz is speaking from vast experience.
So sad that GM was bailed out.