Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exceeding charge limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Set your charge limit to whatever you need to finish your daily driving needs and a buffer that keeps you from getting anxiety about it. The small change to charging percentage above the limit you set is nothing to be concerned about. It's all just a prediction anyway.

I have my limit set to 80% and every morning I have been waking up to an 82%-83% charge.

Anyone else experience this? Is this a glitch? Should I set the limit to 75%?
Yeah, this isn't uncommon. The usual cause of it is some settling of temperature one way or another. The car is generally stopping at 80%, but then the temperature of the battery pack settles or drifts up or down a little, and it's pretty normal that it can show as 1 or 2 % higher or lower a couple hours later.

As other people have said, this is mostly due to temperature (ambient and battery). The system is doing it's best to guess at what point you will reach the set charge limit. If the ambient temperature changes, or the battery temp ends up different from what it expected, the charge can be 1 or 2% different than expected.

Lots of variables, and the system is doing it best to guess them all.

I set mine at 60% nowadays but when I get in the car in the mornings it is usually around 57-58%. I used to charge to 70% but figured I did not need that much daily so lowered it to help with degradation. It would be 69-70% usually during those times.

As others stated, it is just a best guess and nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 804son
I set my charging limit to 90% last night since I'm going camping after work. I woke up this morning with the battery charged to 94%.

I set mine at 60% nowadays but when I get in the car in the mornings it is usually around 57-58%. I used to charge to 70% but figured I did not need that much daily so lowered it to help with degradation. It would be 69-70% usually during those times.

As others stated, it is just a best guess and nothing to worry about.
I set it to 60% as well and usually see 57% in the morning.

Make sure you charge to 90% occasionally and let it set overnight with sentry off, then don't charge and run it down to about 20% and let it sit overnight, again with sentry mode off. Then charge again.

Your battery won't calibrate with sentry on. Doing this at least several times a year helps to keep the range your battery reports accurate.

Make sure you charge to 90% occasionally and let it set overnight with sentry off, then don't charge and run it down to about 20% and let it sit overnight, again with sentry mode off. Then charge again.

Your battery won't calibrate with sentry on. Doing this at least several times a year helps to keep the range your battery reports accurate.
I normally charge to 84%, and can't recall it showing any other number when it stops than 84%. Today it is at 86%, so I came here for a discussion like this. Cool, I won't worry about it.

BUT, the advice about 90%, down to 20%, sentry mode, and so forth is completely new to me. I guess I need to keep reading.
Thanks!